WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 28 of 50 FirstFirst ... 18 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 38 ... LastLast
    Journal Entries

Hello,

Glad to see this community and all the wealth of information for us aspiring thru-hikers.

Thank you,

Billie Blazes

Default Very good community here.

Hello everybody. Very interesting board here. Thanks to the staff that maintain it! After a decade of no-hiking ... I've found I have the bug again. Before I forgot what is important about hiking, I found myself all over the US doing small hikes. I’ve hiked portions of the AT in Virginia and PA. I’ve hiked the Superior Hiking Trail in Minnesota. I spent some time exploring the Cascades in Washington. I’ve even spent a weekend hiking the trail on Pine Mountain in Georgia! It feels good to move back to a place that is close to the AT and many other trails. The stories I’ve read on this site are fantastic encouragement. My decade old gear is dusted off and inspected. I’ve done a little shopping and discovered HOW MUCH has gear changed in the past 10 years. I am amazed at how light you can get a pack nowadays! I am pretty sure that if I substituted ultra-light alternatives, I’d only have about 12 lbs before food and water. But the $$$$ … I think my gear is still fine (Dana Design Bomber, Clip Flashlight, Pur Water Filter, etc). Although, I abused my 30 degree bag (stuff sack IN the backpack) so I may need to get a new one. Anyway, I’m typing out-loud.... The AT is still on my to-do list. I figure I’ll run it when I have a life transition or in about 4 years … whichever comes first! Until then, I will plan on doing PA portion of the AT (North to South direction) next summer in segments. I assume when I do the thru-hike, it will be from GA to ME. Trails look different going the opposite way. I’ll also take care of a couple of my other to-do hikes in the interim. Anyway, it is good to be here. If anybody ever wants to do a hike and doesn’t mind taking a guy with no-trail legs or endurance … send me a pm and we’ll have a chat. I'm not afraid to drive ... everything seems so close on the east coast. Safe travels.

OK. It appears my multiple paragraphs turned into a wall of text. Sorry.

Images

Welcome Before you toss the old bag, try reviving it by hanging it, fluffing it by hand, low heat in the dryer with tennis balls, and even washing it, etc. It may not regain all its original loft, but often a quality bag will come back to life 80 - 90% or so. If nothing else it can do as a loaner for friends, etc. And yeah, all this new lightweight stuff is nice - but pricey!
    "That's the thing about possum innards - they's just as good the second day." - Jed Clampett

Quote Originally Posted by 4eyedbuzzard View Post
    Welcome Before you toss the old bag, try reviving it by hanging it, fluffing it by hand, low heat in the dryer with tennis balls, and even washing it, etc. It may not regain all its original loft, but often a quality bag will come back to life 80 - 90% or so. If nothing else it can do as a loaner for friends, etc. And yeah, all this new lightweight stuff is nice - but pricey!
    Thank you for the welcome! The bag is hung and hand fluffed. That part I did immediately, along with a few choice words about my stupidity, when I unpacked it. I will give the cleaning and drying a go ... good idea.

Journal Entries

My 40 year old Holubar winter bag is still great (admittedly I have kept it in the closet, not the bag) But I still bought a new lightweight for the AT. Love the new gear! Worth the price. Think about going SOBO You get in shape early and then the sourthern part is cake. Imagine cruising for months NOBO and hitting VT, NH & ME! I think it would break my heart. But, then, I've been sectioning SOBO.

Images

Hello whiteblazers!

I thought I would give everyone a shout before I get to involved with reading and posting on the forum. I’m DayHiker G. As my name suggests I’m a day hiker. I never did any overnight hikes (yet). I've always enjoyed hiking throughout my life. I live right by the Lehigh Gorge and the AT is on top of the mountain right outside my front door. I never knew this and for 11yrs. I would look up at the mountain and say "one day I’m going to hike up that mountain". 5yrs ago I finally decided to give it a go and when I got to the top I saw an AT stake in the ground and I was taken back a little. If I only knew the AT was so close I would have decided to hike the trails long ago. I’m currently reading "AWOL on the Appalachian Trail" (fantastic book btw) and I’m getting the itch to get on the trail again. I haven't been able to hike for the past two years because Oct 31, 2009 I broke my ankle in three places and tore a majority of the ligaments. Two weeks after my ankle surgery I was laying on my death bed due to 11 blood clots lodged in my lungs. The doctor said if I didn’t go to the ER I would have never made it through the night. That experience opened my eyes and made me realize I had a lot more living to do and I had some goals to fulfill (a bucket list). I have recovered from the broken ankle only to be afflicted with heel problems on my other foot. I tried to get through this year without going to the doctor but I think it's inevitable because I'm having trouble walking for any amount of time. I’m looking forward to getting back on the trail. I think my dog is too! We both have gained a spare tire! LOL!

I’m glad I found this site while looking into hiking the AT (Thx to AWOL). What a great wealth of info this site has! I don't know if I will ever get the opportunity to hike the entire AT but I will sure enjoy the parts I do explore!

Thumbs up Oh poor form!

Poor form on my part, I jumped in without the obligatory intro post! I shall accept the requisite 40 lashes with a wet ramen noodle...

As the name implies, I am a Sailor. Small boat sailing is complementary since you learn to appreciate that less is more and the idea of 'Hike your own hike' applies very well.

I am trying to sneak out to the trail right now. I have a delivery that is being set up to take a boat from Hawaii to San Francisco... but it is taking forever to get the details worked out.

I had been training to hike the 101 miles of Shenandoah National Park (yes, I know it is a cop out to take the easy section first)... Not sure I will get to do the whole thing, but plan to get a couple days up there before the trip if I can.

I used to hike in the Santa Cruz mountains as a kid, and would hike up Mt. Tamalpias (Marin County, north of San Francisco) several times a year through the summers in high school. I have not done much hiking since then, but have been training since August and am doing fairly well... did a little less then 10 miles last night with a 38# load, which was a break through for me.

A couple years ago I left life and spent 9 months on a small sail boat with my wife and dog. We enjoyed living simply, and might well still be 'out there' if the demands of social structure had not pulled us back. Maybe the 'common thread' is the appeal of living simply, and living deliberately....

I moderate/administer multiple sailing related sites and have to say that this is a really really well run forum. Of course, the 'staff' only get part of the credit for that... the people are what make a site worthwhile. Thank you to the many folks who contribute... I have learned a lot already from you, and look forward to contributing in whatever way I can.

Hello. I am planning a thru hike in 2012. I need something amazing to accomplish. To boost my self esteem. I want to travel and meet friends who have similar interests, goals, and fun stories or advice to share. Nothing has ever seemed so clear then to be in the wilderness, hiking, seeing real beauty, breathing fresh air, getting away from mirrors, television, traffic, and the fast paced city life I've been in for almost 20 years. I look forward to reading stories of hikers and meeting new friends.

MM

Hello all, great site you have here. Im living in Florida and am planning a thru hike in '13 and this forum is exactly what I need, so thanks in advance for all the answers to the questions I will more than likely ask.

Hey everyone!

I'm planning on doing a NOBO thru hike in 2013. I've read everything on the ATC site but as far as I'm concerned there's no better information than that, that comes from someone who has actually done it! So I'm here for any tips and/or advice anyone can give me, and I look forward to reading about everyone's experiences!

I've not had much experience hiking as such but I'm quite used to covering 8 miles in under 2 hours with 20 kg on my back (thanks to my job) and also living outside under a sheet with a healthy covering of snow on the ground! That being said, it's one thing doing it for a couple of weeks and whole other story for six months I'm sure!

Hi I'm Tom. I work several jobs so I am currently a day hiker, geocacher, prepper, and tinker of all things outdoors. I'm working hard right now trying to get a website to take off so I can gather some money to eventually hike the AT. I think I may start vermicomposting and expanding as I make a few bucks from it. Not sure my wife is happy about the worm bin im installing soon. Hopefully the bench I plan on building for it will win her over.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by ThomasOE View Post
    Hi I'm Tom. I work several jobs so I am currently a day hiker, geocacher, prepper, and tinker of all things outdoors. I'm working hard right now trying to get a website to take off so I can gather some money to eventually hike the AT. I think I may start vermicomposting and expanding as I make a few bucks from it. Not sure my wife is happy about the worm bin im installing soon. Hopefully the bench I plan on building for it will win her over.
    Used to having a compost pile right outside the door I was forced to throw it out when I moved to "a city". Wish I had had a wormbin but now that I am moving out glad I only have to deal with getting a sitter for my cat and not my thousands of worms.

I am new to the forum. Planning my section hike April 9th. Looking for all the info I can get. Look forward to meeting up with all of you A.T hikers. Wish me LUCK!

Newbie here! I am planning a thru hike starting March 15 2012. Hope to see y'all out there.

HI EVERYONE! Runt here, new to the forum, just saying hello.
    been wandering around the northeastern woods since 1976! the AT has been a dream of mine for as long. my first ever walk in the woods was on the AT from rt 80 in NJ to sundfish pond, camped for the nite then down to the old copper mine in in del water gap. i was 9, my grandfather and i did it with just sleeping bags and sandwiches! not a long distence but when your 9, it felt like a different planet.
    i have started my fall season every year since with a hike up to sunfish pond.
    well just introducing myself

RUNT

Images

Hey runt. Greeting from a former Howell, Pt Pleasant, and Freehold resident - I escaped NJ in '95. Still have a few friends in Jackson, but it's a lot more built up and populated now than when I grew up around there in the 70's!
    "That's the thing about possum innards - they's just as good the second day." - Jed Clampett

Quote Originally Posted by Medic40 View Post
    Newbie here! I am planning a thru hike starting March 15 2012. Hope to see y'all out there.
    March 15, 2012 is the date i have penned in as a start also, so maybe that parking lot near Springer may be a "see ya" moment. With a title like Outback Mac either you are a "true" hiker or you like the Blooming Onion at the Outback Steakhouse, only you know that score....

I usually don't trek very far,
    when all around me black bears are.

Hello, Whiteblazers...

This is a brand Noobie from New York State's lower Catskill Mountains, who just stumbled aboard.

Am not yet familiar with this site, but am nevertheless impressed.

Unless my physical luck changes for the better, I'll now be doing my trekking via UTE. Not too big of a deal, though, as I've got a lot of the same to look back upon.

Hiking the Appalachian trail has been my dream sence in my 20's. I've been hiking and camping off and on sence I was a little kid. I've also been doing some basic mountaineering off and on sence 2003.

I'm sure I would be able to do a thru-hike on the Applachian trail, and finish it.

Page 28 of 50 FirstFirst ... 18 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 38 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++