WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 34 of 50 FirstFirst ... 24 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 44 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Tarlin View Post
    I think that some of us who've been here awhile and visit just about every day tend to forget that this doesn't describe everyone here.......there are lots of new folks, in fact there are probably new folks every single day.

Just wanted to welcome you all, and encourage you to take part. If you're looking for information on hiking on the A.T., especially if you're looking for information on planning and preparing for a long trip, you've come to the best place on the web.

And we're very happy to have you all here!
    Interesting point. I've started going through this "Welcome thread" from Page 1 and am on about Page 5. I've already been struck by the number of people with less than 100 posts (from the year 2007/08) and the few number of posts from "old timers" with 1000s of posts. Just an observation. Probably means nothing. And I've joined in 2009 and lurked for 1 year. Then went dormant for 2 years. I guess the moral of the story is you gotta play to win.

Quote Originally Posted by jeanthomas View Post
    I am ready to go backpacking. Never tried this before but I think this will be fun.

Jean Thomas
    chicshave.com
    Hey there jeanthomas welcome to WB... nice to have you here!!

Quote Originally Posted by Nicknack View Post
    Hi everyone!

My name is Nick and I currently am attending Virginia Tech. I got into backpacking a year ago and have hiked along the AT and in Philmont with the Boy Scouts. I hope to learn some more about backpacking and about any cool hikes you guys can recommend!
    Hey Nick.. you aren't too far down the road from me. to WB.

Quote Originally Posted by 4eyedbuzzard View Post
    "If you ever travel back in time, don't step on anything because even the tiniest change can alter the future in ways you can't imagine." - Abe Simpson

Finally, the warning I've been waiting for! Stop reading the old welcome posts and get on with the future!

Images

Hi all, been trolling for a while but I thought I'd introduce myself. My husband and I are planning a 200 mile trek in June, and we are just getting started in our planning. He has experience completing a 2 week long hut to hut in NE, but I am a backpacking novice. Done lots of car camping and day hikes but am SEVERELY green when it comes to the overnight stuff.

I'm interested in finding people in MD doing day hikes in the area. I know there are a couple of clubs around but I haven't contact anyone yet.

Anyways I hope to talk to some of you soon!

Welcome trailwobbles!!

Sunrise from Rocky Mountain Shelter.JPG This is why I hike overnight. So I can wake up to this.

Welcome, trailwobbles.

Tumbleweed
    Quote Originally Posted by trailwobbles View Post
    Hi all, been trolling for a while but I thought I'd introduce myself. My husband and I are planning a 200 mile trek in June, and we are just getting started in our planning. He has experience completing a 2 week long hut to hut in NE, but I am a backpacking novice. Done lots of car camping and day hikes but am SEVERELY green when it comes to the overnight stuff.

I'm interested in finding people in MD doing day hikes in the area. I know there are a couple of clubs around but I haven't contact anyone yet.

Anyways I hope to talk to some of you soon!

howdy folks

midwest/west coaster who has decided that hiking the entire AT in small chunks is the proper thing to do

will hopefully be using this forum to plan out strategies as they arise

appreciate any help you all can give me

Images

well its not the proper thing to do, but a lot of us do it that way anyway.
    welcome to whiteblaze.we're very passionate about our trail
    theres a lot of great articles on the home page, and a lot of great people here to give you whatever help you need.
    shoes.you need good shoes

Son Driven
    Journal Entries

This forum is going to make it difficult, to keep my vow to leave the electronics behind. Planning on hitting the Springer Mountain early March, 2013.

Son Driven - Minneapolis

Just embrace it... welcome to WB!

hi to all. I am new to forums and am thrilled to have found WB. The info I have gathered has already made a big difference in planning my 2013 thru this coming March (GAME). Many thanks to all the contributors.

Welcome FMC (and others)! Good Luck with planning your hike/s!
    "We wanderers, ever seeking the lonlier way,..."
    Kahlil Gibran ~ The Prophet

Welcome to WhieBaze, FMC. I too will be attempting a thru hike in 2013. Good luck on your hike and hope to see you on the trail.

welcome....

Hello to all. New into the world of hiking, so please be patient if I ask a dumb question. Happy Holidays and I look forward to talking with you.

Journal Entries

Default Newbie

Bob and I are registered as one. We plan to hike the trail after I retire. This will make me 66 and Bob 70. We will need that much time to learn, get into shape, find gear we can afford, and make other preps as necessary any way. I am determined to hike the AT. The desire is consuming. I am reading all I find. It may take me until 2018 to read all on this forum and the hammock forum, which I also love. Hammocking gave us hope that we could actually do this trip in our old age. Any advice offered to us older folks will be appreciated. I am also an avid reader of the trailjournals site.

Hey huys ! I am new here, I joined this week .

Welcome to Whiteblaze, Zeus.

Hi everyone! Greetings from Austin, TX. Just joined up. So much good info on here. Recently began getting back into recreational hiking w/ a goal of attempting the AT in a yr or two. My main hiking xp is in TX growing up & later in the Army ..(after a long day on the trail, pitching a tent is much more enjoyable than digging a fighting position). Really looking forward to getting to know some folks on here and picking up some much needed tips. Thanks.

White Blaze,

Planning to start my through hike at Springer Mt. in March. Anyone in the Atlanta area, where I'm getting ready, who would like to talk about preparations and the hike, please get back to me at 770-473-4253, or [email protected].

Harry

Page 34 of 50 FirstFirst ... 24 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 44 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++