WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Default How strictly is no camping enforced? (NJ/NY)

I will shortly be spending a week hiking northbound from High Point, NJ.... to as far as I get in a week.

Problem is, I am recovering from a back injury, and will likely have some difficulty getting from shelter to shelter in a day. I may not -- honestly, I'm not sure -- but it's not impossible that a rough stretch for me may cause me to simply be too far from the next shelter by nightfall.

I understand that officially there is no camping outside of the shelters on this stretch, and I am sure the official position of the forums is to follow those rules. I fully intend to. But if I simply cannot get there, and I were to set up a tent a bit off the trail...

well... how strictly are these rules enforced?

nevermind the regulations, but if you're not even sure you can make it from shelter to shelter yet should you be backpacking? what has your doc said about strenuous activities?

Images

Rangers patrol fairly regularly along the AT in New Jersey. I have camped off the trail twice and both times got interrogated by the ranger and was almost given a ticket both times. If you do wind up camping off the trail, be sure to hang a bear bag...the bear are VERY active in this stretch.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by jersey joe View Post
    Rangers patrol fairly regularly along the AT in New Jersey. I have camped off the trail twice and both times got interrogated by the ranger and was almost given a ticket both times. If you do wind up camping off the trail, be sure to hang a bear bag...the bear are VERY active in this stretch.
    You got hassled by rangers or ridgerunners? I wasn't aware the NJ Rangers ever got out on the AT.
    Anything's within walking distance if you've got the time.
    GA-ME 03, LT 04/06, PCT 07'

Quote Originally Posted by sofaking View Post
    nevermind the regulations, but if you're not even sure you can make it from shelter to shelter yet should you be backpacking? what has your doc said about strenuous activities?
    I just need to pace myself, and not push myself when my body tells me I should stop.

Which leads to the original question/problem.

Images

Oh sure...there are seasonal rangers in the summer months. The guy had a gun and a ticket pad, a ranger for sure. About 8? miles north of Deleware Water Gap a couple years ago. He destroyed the fire pit that I set my tent up next to (was there already) and I only got out of a ticket because the ranger at the visitor center told me I could camp off the trail.(he radiod in and verified this believe it or not)

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyMac View Post
    I will shortly be spending a week hiking northbound from High Point, NJ.... to as far as I get in a week.

Problem is, I am recovering from a back injury, and will likely have some difficulty getting from shelter to shelter in a day. I may not -- honestly, I'm not sure -- but it's not impossible that a rough stretch for me may cause me to simply be too far from the next shelter by nightfall.

I understand that officially there is no camping outside of the shelters on this stretch, and I am sure the official position of the forums is to follow those rules. I fully intend to. But if I simply cannot get there, and I were to set up a tent a bit off the trail...

I have no input for you original question but since it has already been answered I figured I would comment. I have a back problem as well (fractured my L5 vertebrate pretty bad a couple years ago). In short distance hikes (2-6miles) with a 75lb pack I was fine walking as long as I packed my pack right and it wouldn't shift around a lot.

When my back got bad I just picked up a walking stick and it would be alright in a couple hours. It was almost always sore but nothing unbearable at all.

Images

if you choose a discreet (stealth) site not visible from the trail, they will never find you. and of course that prolly means no campfire. avoid obvious party spots. pitch your tent (or hammock) as close to dusk as you can and don't linger too long in the morning. i have slept along the AT in PA/NJ/ NY dozens of times and i have never once stayed at a shelter and i have never once been harassed. maybe i've just been lucky, but it seems to me that as long as you do not draw attention to yourself, you'll be fine. as noted above, jersey joe has had the opposite experience, so YMMV.

Images

Glad to hear there has been some past NJ Park ranger presence. Maybe they were NPS employees? When I ridgeran Jersey (05') there were definately no authority figures on the trail at all.

While I don't condone stealthing (because it's against the rules in that section), I'd say use common sense. When I was "busting" people, it was usually in popular no-camping areas like around Sunfish Pond. This becomes problematic when lots of people "stealth" and provide impact on the land, building firepits, leaving cig butts and trash and disrupting plant growth to make tent sites.

If you stealth in the true sense of the term, setting up after dark, breaking down before others walk by and leaving the place the way you found it, well, I don't see the harm in that. Just make a legitimate effort to make it to a legal campsite/shelter
    Anything's within walking distance if you've got the time.
    GA-ME 03, LT 04/06, PCT 07'

this post thread raised my curiosity and i checked my Appalachian Pages guide and i found in New Hampshire section the distance between free shelters is ridiculous 81.7 miles from Rattle River shelter to Eliza Brook shelter this book has been priased for its accuracy by some people ive talked to and if it is true and there is no place to stay for nearly 82 miles the the ATC is begging for stealthers and id say any ranger who gives you a ticket for stealthing is a disgrace i acknowledge two points that ONE the ATC ( or whoever is responsible for that section) needs money to keep the trail established and open and TWO you cant go on a thru hike and expect NOT to pay occasionaly for an overnight somewhere but i have a problem for this even ignoring the what seems to be pure cash extortion i know i cant do a 50 mile day...and to have shelters that far apart only supports my claim where several other places shelters sometimes arent even 5 miles apart to this sectionwhere two shelters are 45.9 miles apart, this seems like a deviation but its on topic becuase i believe thre are certain spots where if its getting dark and there is not shelter you have no option but to stealth and any ranger giving you a ticket for it is in my opinion a disgrace so go ahead you stealth where you NEED to and practice super high standards of "leave no trace" and obviously no fire (also dont cry if a bear sniffs around at night) and your ok in my book, sorry if i sound cranky i havent had my coffee or 2nd breakfast yet
    " YOU'RE MAD!" "... Thank goodness for that, Because if I wasn't this would probably never work." AT thru hiker advice from CAPN jack sparrow

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyMac View Post

I have hiked and camped through that area several times. Have camped off the trail (stealth) and no problems. Do not light a fire (only stove), camp away from trail where you will not be visible ( find a good hidden nook), leave early.

Rangers are only human and are limited in their ability to see through trees. If you follow my three rules (above) you will not be spotted. Rangers are looking out for people within site of the trail, or fires, or people visible from an elevated position. No worries, enjoy your forest.
    Throwing pearls to swine.

I've "stealthed" a few times between DWG and Kent -- no problems. I guess it depends on luck, and how well you hide your campsite. I stayed in shelters also; no problems there either.

Default How strictly is no camping enforced? (NJ/NY)

Quote Originally Posted by KirkMcquest View Post
    I have hiked and camped through that area several times. Have camped off the trail (stealth) and no problems. Do not light a fire (only stove), camp away from trail where you will not be visible ( find a good hidden nook), leave early.

Rangers are only human and are limited in their ability to see through trees. If you follow my three rules (above) you will not be spotted. Rangers are looking out for people within site of the trail, or fires, or people visible from an elevated position. No worries, enjoy your forest.
    I did the same with no problem.

You're hiking north from High Point? I guess I'm learning something new here. Once the Trail descends the Kittitiny Ridge and leaves State Forest heading east, I didn't think camping was prohibited. Maybe you can't camp in Walkill NWR but otherwise ????

I thought the camping restrictions were only from DWG north to High Point, most of which lies in Stokes State Forest.

Re. NY, the only place I'm aware of prohibiting between-shelter camping is Bear Mountain - not sure about the rest of Harriman. Once you cross the Hudson, you can camp anywhere.

Quote Originally Posted by Cookerhiker View Post
    You're hiking north from High Point? I guess I'm learning something new here. Once the Trail descends the Kittitiny Ridge and leaves State Forest heading east, I didn't think camping was prohibited. Maybe you can't camp in Walkill NWR but otherwise ????

I thought the camping restrictions were only from DWG north to High Point, most of which lies in Stokes State Forest.

Re. NY, the only place I'm aware of prohibiting between-shelter camping is Bear Mountain - not sure about the rest of Harriman. Once you cross the Hudson, you can camp anywhere.
    According to my ATC NY-NJ Guide, which is the newest one, it's indeed prohibited. Not impossible that the guide is wrong, but I'm operating under the assumption that it is not.

Images

now mine is one year old but the appalacjian Trail Thru-Hikers Companion 2007 has this to say. Thru hikers (defined by DWG as those hikers who are hiking for two or more consecutive days) ARE permitted to camp along the trail in the NRA with the following restrictions......

This is really just for the DWG NRA. The rest of the state does have a no camping permitted rule. Also no fires. They like to reserve this for the Air National Guard down in the Pine Barrens. East of the hudson it is pretty relaxed on camping.

Yeah. I'm heading in the other direction - so I'll likely have to stealth it worst case scenario.

Assuming I can find the secret shelter and if it's still there, that should be reachable for my late start from high point without problem... but then Pochuck is very likely too close, and wayawanda is way too far...

oh well. I'll figure it out as I go. I won't know how I'll do until I'm doing it. And really worst case? I'll take the ticket. It's cheaper than a back injury.

Journal Entries
    Images

Because I have a lightweight blue tent, I sometimes carry a camo printed tarp or netting that is lightweight. If I stealth camp, I cannot be seen. Because I am a loud snorer I am way off the trail. - I too have never had problems. - Yet.
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Wise Old Owl View Post
    Because I have a lightweight blue tent, I sometimes carry a camo printed tarp or netting that is lightweight. If I stealth camp, I cannot be seen. Because I am a loud snorer I am way off the trail. - I too have never had problems. - Yet.
    Damn how loud do you snore? I love my Hennesey with it's OD green. It's perfect for stealthing.
    You can never appreciate the shade of a tree unless you sweat in the sun.-- Author Unknown

I would get a camo tent or tarp.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
++ New Posts ++