WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Images

Default Tent V.S Hammock

i think i might go with hammocks,are they lighter,more durable? can u hang them anywhere? can i make one ?

alaskanhkr go and check the sister site to wb, hammock forums.net. for all your hammock needs
    Peanuts (aka i.j.)
    "A womans place its on the trail"

All that information and more at http://www.hammockforums.net/ .

Start with the articles on the left side of home page.

Mainly hammocks are more comfortable and versatile as far as ground conditions.

Images

thank you thats a big help

Just sleep in the shelters when you're in the Smokies :P

Quote Originally Posted by Miu View Post
    Just sleep in the shelters when you're in the Smokies :P
    Correction: Lower case p
    As I live, declares the Lord God, I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that the wicked turn back from his way and live. Ezekiel 33:11

Images

Why? is suttin wrong wit outside them

Quote Originally Posted by Alaskanhkr23 View Post
    Why? is suttin wrong wit outside them
    The park regulations require hikers to stay in the shelters while they hike through on the AT. Hiking elsewhere is, by the book, illegal. You can camp outside a shelter only if it is full to capacity.
    As I live, declares the Lord God, I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that the wicked turn back from his way and live. Ezekiel 33:11

And when the shelters are full and you're allowed to camp outside, I found it difficult to find a spot out of the wind. The mist HATED me and my hammock.

Alaska has a lot of places where there are few (if any) trees. That's why I carry a light tent even though I prefer my Hennessy. Make sure you know what the vegetation is like before heading off with just your hammock.

Some days, it's not worth chewing through the restraints.

most of the AT has plenty of trees to hang from. I love my hammocks - I get a great night's sleep, stay dry, and have lots of protected space to lounge in. I sleep in shelters on occassion, but when it comes to comfort, hammocks rule.

Images

Yes to all the above. Check out the forums site that they threw up. When you are down this way even if i cant get out to hike with you a few days give me a shout and I'll try to meet you and show you my set up. The more that you get to see and try from different makers the more it will help you in your decision. Love mine and use it year round.

Quote Originally Posted by sasquatch2014 View Post
    Yes to all the above. Check out the forums site that they threw up. When you are down this way even if i cant get out to hike with you a few days give me a shout and I'll try to meet you and show you my set up. The more that you get to see and try from different makers the more it will help you in your decision. Love mine and use it year round.
    What type hammock do you have? I am leaning towrds a Clark. Did the hammock companies have Trail Days discounts? How much were the discounts? I was planning to buy one there and was about 50 miles away when I had to turn around and go home for a family emergency.
    Enough is OK, too much is just right.

Quote Originally Posted by OutdoorsMan View Post
    What type hammock do you have? I am leaning towrds a Clark. Did the hammock companies have Trail Days discounts? How much were the discounts? I was planning to buy one there and was about 50 miles away when I had to turn around and go home for a family emergency.
    Sorry to say you missed out. I got a Hennessy Hammock there and they were selling them half price!

Sorry about your emergency. Hopefully all is well now.

BL
    http://www.radio-outdoors.com Ham Radio and the outdoors. Perfect together!

Thanks. All is OK at home. My 10 year old son pulled the fire alarm at his school. He is a good kid, he just used poor judgement in this case (some other boys dared him to do it). He received a light sentence - one day of suspension. I spent his day of suspension with him polishing fire trucks, long talks, doing household chores, etc.
    Unfortunately my kids didn't come with an instruction manual.....raising them is quite a challenge sometimes but I love it/them.

Quote Originally Posted by Buzz_Lightfoot View Post
    Sorry to say you missed out. I got a Hennessy Hammock there and they were selling them half price!

Sorry about your emergency. Hopefully all is well now.

BL
    Enough is OK, too much is just right.

Wandering Vagabond
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by OutdoorsMan View Post
    My 10 year old son pulled the fire alarm at his school.
    LOL, not much different than the daughter of a good friend of mine when she dialed 911 to see what would happen. I think she was about the same age.

Default Hennessy Hammock

I have to say that the hennessy hammock is one of the greatest products brought to the camping market. It is a combination of a hammock, a chair, and a tent. It is extremely light and durable. It is an enclosed hammock making it seem like a cocoon almost. After using it for a weekend, I will never go back to a tent.

Quote Originally Posted by Alaskanhkr23 View Post
    i think i might go with hammocks,are they lighter,more durable? can u hang them anywhere? can i make one ?
    Usually, maybe?, no (you have to have space and trees, unless you bring a stand with you), and yes.

Second vote for checking out hammockforums.net

Images

I was looking up how to make a hammock yesterday:
    http://www.tothewoods.net/HomemadeHammock.html
    This fellow has the good idea that you should make a super easy super cheap hammock to see if you like it, a 'test hammock':
    http://www.imrisk.com/testhammock/testhammock.htm
    hammockforums.net also has lots of info.

I have both a Hennessy and a tarp tent. While I agree the hammock is more comfortable I prefer to tent. As far as a hammock being lighter, I gotta disagree. By the time I have all the stuff needed for a decent temperature range in a hammock it weighs as much, if not more, than my tent set up.
    Fear ridges that are depicted as flat lines on a profile map.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++