WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

I was wondering if you had any idea of how cold this blanket would work in conjunction with a 0 degree synthetic bag? (I realize that what you are wearing and your personal comfort temperature play a huge part in this... just wondering if people have tested this configuration.)

I am very interested in ordering one of these... but being a poor college student... I want to make sure that this will fulfill all of my needs first!

Thank you in advance for your time!

-Patrick

Section Hiker, 1,040 + miles, donating member peter_pan's Avatar
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by pharper
    I was wondering if you had any idea of how cold this blanket would work in conjunction with a 0 degree synthetic bag? (I realize that what you are wearing and your personal comfort temperature play a huge part in this... just wondering if people have tested this configuration.)

I am very interested in ordering one of these... but being a poor college student... I want to make sure that this will fulfill all of my needs first!

Thank you in advance for your time!

-Patrick

Pharper,
    You are right there are a lot of variables. The UQ which we have named,"nest" is basically good for 40 degrees, Adjusting the dead air space, putting a ground pad between it and the hammock, putting rain gear or other unused soft wear between it and the hammock all add warmth. You can also shield the nest with a wind proof shell, generally good for another5-10 degrees. We will be introducing a microporous polypropolene (read waterproof, windproof, and breathable) shell at Trail Days.I sleep with only a top quilt, someone using a full bag will gain some, but remember that what is between you and the hammock compresses and becomes very inefficient as insulation.

The real issue is what conditions due you want to meet. If you send me a PM with what you want to achieve I'll give you some specific recommendations.

Peter_pan
    ounces to grams
    WWW.JACKSRBETTER.COM home of the Nest and No Sniveler underquilts and Bear Mtn Bridge Hammock

Images

To add to what Peter Pan said, id also depends on what synthetic fill you are talking about. Some synthetic bads don't compress well which is normally bad for backpackers, but I have found that a bag that doesn't compress well is actually warmer in a hammock than a down bag for pbvious reasons.
    SGT Rock
    http://hikinghq.net

My 2008 Trail Journal of the BMT/AT

BMT Thru-Hikers' Guide
    -----------------------------------------

NO SNIVELING

Default HH Tacos?

It's been so long since I've heard about an HH taco. I can't remember how Ray and others have them set up for HH's. Can somebody point me to Ray's site or others with info that's HH-specific? I don't seem to have any URLs for those.

I've made one of Risk/Flyfisher's TravelPods for my Speer-style double bottom hammock. I haven't been able to test it outside yet. I think it has a little too much bagginess underneath for my weight, but I'm not sure yet. It may be just right with an empty pack in it.

Thanks!

Added:

I just found Ray's pages on the web. I think if I make a taco I'll make a hole for the side tieouts. It doesn't seem that the side tieouts do that much, but I'd like to keep them "active".

Quote Originally Posted by stieg
    It's been so long since I've heard about an HH taco. I can't remember how Ray and others have them set up for HH's. Can somebody point me to Ray's site or others with info that's HH-specific? I don't seem to have any URLs for those.
    This has a compendium of various solutions. If Pan would like to add info on their underquilt, it is a user edited page.

http://www.imrisk.com/cgi-bin/hwiki.pl?Staying_Warm
    Walk Well,
    Risk

Author of "A Wildly Successful 200-Mile Hike"
    http://www.wayahpress.com

Personal hiking page: http://www.imrisk.com

Quote Originally Posted by SGT Rock
    To add to what Peter Pan said, id also depends on what synthetic fill you are talking about. Some synthetic bads don't compress well which is normally bad for backpackers, but I have found that a bag that doesn't compress well is actually warmer in a hammock than a down bag for pbvious reasons.
    SGT Rock,
    The bag that I have is a cheap slumberjack-campmor special... Quallofill insulation. I don't know how it compares to other insulations... but I can tell you that it is hard to get it stuffed into a smallish space!

Thank you,
    Patrick

Images

Then you may find that if it doesn't compress well, that this bag with a evazote pad at about 10 ounces or a quilt may be all you need to take you down low. Some low tech gear has it's advantages too.
    SGT Rock

BMT Thru-Hikers' Guide

NO SNIVELING

Hi Guys!! This is my first ever WhiteBlaze post.

Anyway, I have a Hennessy hammock and love it, except that it freezes me to death. I haven't had much luck with the logistics of getting a pad under me while inside it, and I tend to be a cold sleeper, so this thread really interests me.

This may be old hat to you regulars, but I noticed on the HH page (the new stuff section http://www.hennessyhammock.com/new-products.htm) That there's an announcement about an upcoming product...

"COMING SOON! A cold weather camping solution for the Hennessy Hammock is now in final testing. We expect to have it ready for sale by the end of May. Watch this space for more information as it becomes available!"

Does anyone have any information on this? I am wondering whether it will be an add-on to existing hammocks or if you'll have to buy a new one, and how much it will cost and weigh. I've thought about making my own underquilt, but with my pathetic sewing skills, and no good backyard to test it in, I'd rather just buy something I know will work.

(by the way Sgt. Rock, I love your site.)

--Matt

Images

It has been a while since I talked with Tom about his ideas with this. He and I actually were both skeptics of the possibility to make a working underquilt, but Ed Speer and his Pea Pod design, then others with good working ideas like Canoe Blue and Peter pan & Smee's systems have pointed out the solutions to making an underquilt work. I don't know exactly what his system would look like, but I would guess it will be a synthetic because he mentioned prefering synthetic over down once. I am sure he will show whatever it is at Trail Days.
    SGT Rock

BMT Thru-Hikers' Guide

NO SNIVELING

I'll be in Damascus the weekend before TrailDays. We're taking our Scouts on a bike trip down the Creeper Trail. Too bad we're not going a week later...

I'd be interested in hearing about the underquilt, if anyone gets a chance to see it or try it out.

--Matt

Images

I will be there using the prototype of the "No Sniveling" Quilt. I will be happy to show it off
    SGT Rock

BMT Thru-Hikers' Guide

NO SNIVELING

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Mundele
    Hi Guys!! This is my first ever WhiteBlaze post.

Anyway, I have a Hennessy hammock and love it, except that it freezes me to death. I haven't had much luck with the logistics of getting a pad under me while inside it, and I tend to be a cold sleeper, so this thread really interests me.

This may be old hat to you regulars, but I noticed on the HH page (the new stuff section http://www.hennessyhammock.com/new-products.htm) That there's an announcement about an upcoming product...

"COMING SOON! A cold weather camping solution for the Hennessy Hammock is now in final testing. We expect to have it ready for sale by the end of May. Watch this space for more information as it becomes available!"

Does anyone have any information on this? I am wondering whether it will be an add-on to existing hammocks or if you'll have to buy a new one, and how much it will cost and weigh. I've thought about making my own underquilt, but with my pathetic sewing skills, and no good backyard to test it in, I'd rather just buy something I know will work.

(by the way Sgt. Rock, I love your site.)

--Matt
    I talked to Tom Hennessey about this product about three weeks ago. What he is designing is not a underquilt from what I understand. It is going to be and add on for the HH. From the way he was explaining it to me is that it is a piece of material that goes under the hammock and goes 3.4 of the way to the top and you can stuff what ever you want between the material and the hammock. He is going to have it set up at Trail Days. It might be a nice concept. You could us and cheap light weight sleeping bag between the material and the hammock. I guess I would have to see it.

Rock or anyone going to Trails Days take some pictures of this for us. I would like to see it.
    AT Troll (2010)
    Time does not wait for you, it keeps on rolling.

Whiteblaze.net User Agreement.

Images

You can count on it. I plan to take a lot of pictures. Maybe make a names and faces section for the site.
    SGT Rock

BMT Thru-Hikers' Guide

NO SNIVELING

Default Underquilt

I think that underquilts are the way to go and I like my down underquilt very much. But I see it's roll as a step in the process of addressing the issue of sleeping cold in a hammock rather than a difinitive answer. I don't feel that we have seen the final answer yet.

My expectation is that the final answer will eventually come from Hennessey, as it will need to eliminate the issue of different quilts for different hammocks etc.

It would be very easy for Tom to offer a H-Hammock with a double bottom that would facillitate stuffing pads, extra clothing, fleece or a primaloft quilt .... or combinations of whatever between the main hammock and the outer layer to fit the situation. The extra layer could be a very light layer of DWR so it would add very little weight, it would eliminate the issues of fitting the underquilt, and it would offer tremendous flexibility.

Images

Actually I like the idea of an underquilt and top quilt combination with a lightweight pad such as evazote, and finally, maybe a barrier that could serve as a groundcloth too.

Top Quilt: about 1 pound - something like an Arc Alpinist
    Underquilt: about 1 pound - something like your quilt or Smee/Peter Pan's creation.
    Pad: about 10 ounces - evazote pad like the one I made from the Oware pads
    Groundsheet: about 2 ounces

It would work something like this:

Warm weather - no pad, light quilt over the sleeper - I like to be covered.

Cool weather quilt on top, quilt or pad on bottom. I prefer a pad because it gives me some flexability if I decide to sleep in a building or shelter.

Cold weather - quilt on top, quilt on bottom, pad under you.

VERY cold weather - quilt on top, underquilt on top as well, pad under you, hammock on the ground to take advantage of the earth.

This would give you the same lot as a 2 pound bag (give or take) and the flexabiltiy in weather to adjust your sleep system, just like a clothing layering system. The tyvek, plastic, or mylar barrier would serve as a ground cloth when using the hammock as a bivy and could also serve as a garlington - something new I just learned about from Brian. Basically just a windproof barrier that you hang around the hammock that could also be used to stuff leaves or other available loft around you but outside the hammock.

I think permanently attaching something to the hammock adds unneccissary weight with a single purpose. It would be more convininent if that is the only way you ever use it. Ed Speer's system of outer quilt, pads, and top quilt seems very similar to this same principle.
    SGT Rock

BMT Thru-Hikers' Guide

NO SNIVELING

This doesn't have a whole lot to do with you-alls present issue, but a bit of trivia to show you're on the right track - back in the sixties the old Eddie Bauer company had a canvas cot, with tubes of down insulation on the bottom of the canvas, so the sleeper wouldn't compress it. I believe they called it the "nestle down" cot. Not for backpacking, obviously, but I heard from some car campers that they were wonderful. Cheers, bill

Springer-->Stony Brook Road VT MedicineMan's Avatar
    Images

Default flexibility is the key

The WM Ponderosa/CrazyCreekCrib combo works well for temps 25F and below but there is almost NO room for adjustment. I talked with Ed Speer two days ago as I ordered his system and flexibility is one of the things he touts about his rig. Down underquilts offer flexibility too, of course not as much as a sleeve where you can vary the amount of insulation or choose none at all.
    It will be a millenium or two before the perfect hammock is created-like boots/backpacks/etc nothing is perfect but this is sure fun trying all the possible solutions.
    Someone mentioned the tacos, well the taco has a place with the underquilt, remember the taco was simply a windproof/water resistent (hopefully breathable) barrier that held insulation against the bottom of the hammock dissallowing crushing of said insulation. The taco has a role with UQ's whether they be the Nest by PeterPan or a cheapo sleeping bag you have fashioned to snug against your HH or Speer or whatever hammock you use.
    I have found the sil-nyl (especially the aluminized sil-nyl) taco to be my favorite but only for short use periods of less than 3-5days. I am curious about PeterPans microporous version.

Quote Originally Posted by MedicineMan
    I am curious about PeterPans microporous version.
    I have just sent off an order for a 1.5" nest and a shell. I would offer to post reviews on the shell, but I probably won't be using it for cold weather for a while. (It gets hot in Kansas, I am savoring the lows in the mid 60's right now!)

PeterPan made the good point that in a bit cooler summer situation you might be able to get away with just the shell below you and the nest above you... I will be trying that one for sure (if I get anywhere a little cooler).

Speaking of the nest, I posted over on the Yahoo group to see if you had pictures of your underquilt (nest) in action. I thought that I saw them somewhere, but was unable to find them in your member gallery. I just wanted to look and drool at them while I am awaiting mine! I have already looked at PeterPan/Smee's pictures many, many times!

Thanks,
    Patrick

Springer-->Stony Brook Road VT MedicineMan's Avatar
    Images

Default pharper, they were posted here at whiteblaze

but after a week or two i removed them to save server/disc space...
    you will get yours soon enough and know that what you will recieve is a professionally made piece of gear that has (you know this but it deserves repeating) other uses besides UQ......

Default Medicine Man:

Thank you for letting me know... I really thought that I was losing it! I could have sworn that I had seen the pictures here, but then they were gone!

I am for sure looking forward to getting my quilt, and I know that it won't be long!

Thank you again,
    Patrick

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
++ New Posts ++