WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Images

Question Alternative to Wool Socks?

Got myself a couple of pairs of Merino wool socks after reading that cottons socks are a no-no. First time I hiked in them, my feet turned beet red and were swollen at the end of the day. I didn't wash them after buying them and trying them out so the wife said maybe I was allergic to the "sizing" in them (whatever that is). So I washed them and tried them again this weekend. I hiked about 10 miles or so and came home. When I took my socks off, it looked like I was wearing a pair of red liner socks! My feet were inflamed and swollen again.

Apparently I'm alleric to wool.

Is there an alternative to wool socks? Appreciate any ideas!

Images

What kind of shoes or boots are you wearing?

LT '79; AT '73-'14 in sections; Donating Member Kerosene's Avatar
    Images

One option is to use thin synthetic liners underneath wool socks, such as these Fox River X-Static Liners or perhaps these Injinji CoolMax Toesocks, but if you're truly allergic to wool then that might not be enough.

I found these lightweight Thor-lo synthetic hiking socks that you might want to consider.
    GA←↕→ME: 1973 to 2014

Images

Quote Originally Posted by FritztheCat View Post
    Apparently I'm alleric to wool.
    It sounds like you're one of those folks with a true allergy to the lanolin in wool.

Fortunately there are MANY excellent synthetic options that wick well, unlike cotton. I highly recommend Thorlos, both in Coolmax for warm weather and Thorlon for cooler hikes in your case. Avoid the backpacking version which is a synthetic/wool blend.
    If people spent less time being offended and more time actually living, we'd all be a whole lot happier!

I love my injinjis for camp but don't like hiking in them at all.

Images

I use liner socks alone:

http://www.rei.com/search?query=Ulti...x=5&button.y=9

They're pretty tough and dry very quickly.
    If not NOW, then WHEN?

ME>GA 2006
    http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?trailname=3277

Instagram hiking photos: five.leafed.clover

You an keep your wool socks and try some of these as a liner sock. They are very thin so they won't effect your shoe fit much at all. http://www.campmor.com/outdoor/gear/Product___01980

I've worn these in adventure races and under my wool hiking socks with great results.

Images

for liner socks, i like polyester dress socks from the dollar store. i wear these under a pair of smartwool medium thickness hiking socks. hope you can find a good alternative for yer' feet. good luck!

Registered User Mother's Finest's Avatar

first issue is thickness of socks. you need consistency here. figure out how your boots/shoes are fitted.

for a thicker sock, thorlo is great. for a thinner sock check out Feetures.
    both brands will be made with coolmax or some other synthetic. thorlo makes lots of different socks.

peace
    mf

Images

Not all merino are the same.

Some make me itch. You probably would like Coolmax socks. (Don't rule out allergy to the shoe, or the laundry soap.)

I use poplypro liners.

If you are allergic to the lanolin the liners may not help. This time of year you could try hiking in just liners. Don't be afraid to try cotton either. In cooler weather if I couldn't wear wool I would go with acrylic over liners. Lots of socks out there. I would try different things, but never take more than 1 pair of the same socks. Even once I settle on socks I like I think it is always better to have 2 or 3 different socks than 2 or 3 of the same.

I'm a huge, huge fan of cheap poly dress socks as well. They're cheap, wear forever, dry fast, and give you that retired-Floridian-in-an-RV vibe all at the same time!

FWIW, I had well over 1,000 miles on a couple pair when I thru-hiked.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Swank View Post
    I'm a huge, huge fan of cheap poly dress socks as well. They're cheap, wear forever, dry fast, and give you that retired-Floridian-in-an-RV vibe all at the same time!
    ROFLMAO @ "that retired-Floridian-in-an-RV vibe"

Images

FWIW, I had well over 1,000 miles on a couple pair when I thru-hiked.
    nice! forgot to mention style points, but you covered it pretty well!

Images

Default cheap socks!

outstanding!

Images

Exhibit A

More here
    AT Thru-hike Photos
    Be still my heart!

BTW...on the way home yesterday, I took off my socks and put the sandals back on my bare (but somewhat dirty) feet before going into the restaurant....
    If not NOW, then WHEN?

ME>GA 2006
    http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?trailname=3277

Instagram hiking photos: five.leafed.clover

I haven't hiked in wool socks ever since i got my first pair of fleece socks.

I do use light nylon socks when it's hot though.

You should try the fleece ones. I use the 200 weight.

Images

I really appreciate the replies!

Initially I thought I may be allergic to my shoes (Merrell XTC) but the inflamation was all the way up to the sock line (about mid-shin area) which was above the shoes so I ruled that out.

This is really odd for me because as far as I know, I've never been allergic to anything. Heck, I've slept under Navy wool blankets for a majority of my time in service and never had a problem (other than the wool being itchy).

The laundry soap is the same we've used for years so I don't think that's it.

I think what I'm going to do is do the next hike in my cotton socks and see if I can truly eliminate the shoes as being the culprit. I really hope it's the socks as they were much cheaper than the shoes!

The coolmax seems like a pretty good option and I may look at the thorlo as well. I'm glad to hear there are some good alternatives to wool if it does turn out to be the socks.

Thanks again everyone!

Don't automatically assume U R allergic to merino wool. Feet can get red and swollen from many things-hiking style, trail conditions, pack wt., physical conditioning, new shoes,weather, as well as other factors, can influence foot comfort. Try some polypropylene sock liners under the wool socks to see if your feet react the same way. And. not all merino socks have the same amt. of wt. of merino wool or % of merino wool. Also, it might be wise to consider your feet as a complete system. Shoes, sock liners, socks, anti-friction skin rubs, shoe lacing techniques, orthotics, shoe materials, and gaiters can be looked at together to achieve better foot comfort.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++