WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Question Showerhead acessory for my water bladder?

Hi, this is my first post, although I've been on my home state's forum a while.

Is there such a thing out there- showerhead for a normal backpack bladder ? Seems such a simple thing, but all I found so far was one member posting a note about it in 2004. He told me they are still for sale on Amazon, but you have to buy the hose and head, for $10 + S&H.

Any tinkerers have a suggestion on how to make my own? My bladder hose has the simple bite valve that pulls right off and is 3/16i.d. , 5/16o.d.

Quote Originally Posted by ednotmilkman View Post
    Hi, this is my first post, although I've been on my home state's forum a while.

Is there such a thing out there- showerhead for a normal backpack bladder ? Seems such a simple thing, but all I found so far was one member posting a note about it in 2004. He told me they are still for sale on Amazon, but you have to buy the hose and head, for $10 + S&H.

Any tinkerers have a suggestion on how to make my own? My bladder hose has the simple bite valve that pulls right off and is 3/16i.d. , 5/16o.d.
    If I tell you will you split the $10.00 you save with me?

Images

Lightbulb

Campmor has a shower head adapter for their water bag. About $5.99. I've seen it at REI too. White tubing with plastic shower head. You pull it to start the water flowing and push it back to stop the water. I have one and have tried it at home, but not on the trail yet.

Stearns Sun Shower Nozzle for $1.50 on REI site.

You can also drill small holes in a spare plastic bottle cap. Works well for washing hands and rinsing dishes too.

RainMan
    [I]ye shall not pollute the land wherein ye are: ... Defile not therefore the land which ye shall inhabit....[/I]. Numbers 35

[url]www.MeetUp.com/NashvilleBackpacker[/url]

oh wow, thanks Rainman !

I am SO dumb. I had the Stearns' shower already. I remember once tinkering with the nozzle head and my bladder and I was sure it would not fit. Now I try it again, and, wonder of wonders, the Stearn's nozzle fits fairly snugly OVER the smaller 5/16" hose on my bladder. As long as I use both hands to carefully pull-to-open, it should work for me. When finished showering, put away the nozzle, add another couple of Chlorine dioxide pills and I'm back to sippin'

Quote Originally Posted by Rain Man View Post
    Campmor has a shower head adapter for their water bag. About $5.99. I've seen it at REI too. White tubing with plastic shower head. You pull it to start the water flowing and push it back to stop the water. I have one and have tried it at home, but not on the trail yet.

Stearns Sun Shower Nozzle for $1.50 on REI site.

You can also drill small holes in a spare plastic bottle cap. Works well for washing hands and rinsing dishes too.

RainMan
    Doggone RainMan our anniversary is coming up and I was hoping to let the bride supersize her fries with the $5.00.

RainMan
    GENIUS, I knew it as soon as I met you

I've used a Sun Shower. Works fine. Decent shower for about 2.5 gallons of water. Nice temp, too.

Images

Platypus makes one for their bladders. However, its sooooo simple. All they did was take the plastic screw on lid and drill 9 little holes in it and attach a string...
    ~If you cant do it with one bullet, dont do it at all.
    ~Well behaved women rarely make history.

I'm almost, but not quite, afraid to ask; J Rabbitt, whats your impression of me?

At least with the hose instead of a bottle cap you can direct the flow into the pits and cracks a bit better.

p.s. to nick and rainman,

I owe rainman the $5 since he saved me the $10 by getting me to check what I already had again. It's yours next time I see you on the trail. Which trail might you be on this winter? I'm slowly working north from the Alabama Pinhoti into GA. If you see a 6'2" guy with a cheap Outdoor Products green bag, plastic external frame pack and one trekking pole, it should be me.

p.s. to nick and rainman,

I owe rainman the $5 since he saved me the $10 by getting me to check what I already had again. It's yours next time I see you on the trail. Which trail might you be on this winter? I'm slowly working north from the Alabama Pinhoti into GA. If you see a 6'2" guy with a cheap Outdoor Products green bag, plastic external frame pack and one trekking pole, it should be me.
    Glad it worked out for you, just kidding about the $5. May or may not be helpful but a dark plastic bag over your shower bag will help collect solar heat and give you some warmer water.

Images

At least with the hose instead of a bottle cap you can direct the flow into the pits and cracks a bit better.
    and if you ask someone to squeeze the blander while you take the shower,it creates more pressure
    you are what you eat: Fast! Cheap! and Easy!

I have a 3 liter platy bladder with that Sterns shower adapter. Works great. Here's how I do it: I carry an empty 5# potato or orange sack, ( plastic holey thing, technical term, lol) that has a hanging string run thru the closed end of the sack. Put full bladder in, pull hose out open end, close off open end. Hang from string at right height, keep shower nozzle above bag, or your shower starts instantly! I stand on my ridgerest sit pad. Can take complete shower with 3L. Wet, soap, rinse. Well, people with more hair than me maybe couldn't get all done with 3L, lol. Great system, I shower a lot when water is available. Nothing better on the trail.

Images

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by NICKTHEGREEK View Post
    Doggone RainMan our anniversary is coming up and I was hoping to let the bride supersize her fries with the $5.00.
    Oh well, start saving your spare change like I do, and like me maybe by the time the next one rolls around you can pop for supersizing her fries. ~wink~

Rain Man

[I]ye shall not pollute the land wherein ye are: ... Defile not therefore the land which ye shall inhabit....[/I]. Numbers 35

Images

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by J Rabbit View Post
    GENIUS, I knew it as soon as I met you
    HEY NOW... what about my good looks and wealth too?!!!

Rain Man

Images

Talking Rain Man not rainman

I'll be lookin' fer ya!!! Might have to start lurking on the Alabama Pinhoti next time my funds are running low. LOL

P.S. Just FYI, there is a "rainman" on WB, but he ain't me and vice versa. LOL Just to avoid confusion. He's a middle-aged, smart-ass, lawyer-type, section-hiker. OH WAIT, maybe that's me! LOL

P.P.S. Do you know WBer "Just Plain Jim" from down your way? Met him and his hiking partner Ray (both from Huntsville, AL) back in May on the AT south of Kincora, then again at Kincora. Here's a photo of JPJ--
    Just Plain Jim at Moreland Gap Shelter, May 20, 2008.

Rain Man

Images

Wow. Amazing. This showering on the trail thread got all the way to post number 14 before anyone questioned the need for showering on the trail.

Trail showerers unite! Debunk the hiker funk!

P.S.
    One shouldn't defame Rain Man's reputation by connecting the two words of his trail name

Rainman

Now I see the secret of the making of the best persons,
    It is to grow in the open air and to eat and sleep with the earth.

- Walt Whitman: Leaves of Grass; Song of the Open Road.

Images

P.S. Just FYI, there is a "rainman" on WB, but he ain't me and vice versa. LOL Just to avoid confusion. He's a middle-aged, smart-ass, lawyer-type, section-hiker. OH WAIT, maybe that's me! LOL

Well thank you very much. That's the nicest thing anyone ever said about me

Rainman

Now I see the secret of the making of the best persons,
    It is to grow in the open air and to eat and sleep with the earth.

- Walt Whitman: Leaves of Grass; Song of the Open Road.

HEY NOW... what about my good looks and wealth too?!!!
    Rain Man .

yeah but...

Rain Man.
    I believe I met one of these guys in early July.

I found this site which has great ideas for home made equipment. I made the shower, he calls it a sink, this morning, it works great.

http://www.freewebs.com/jasonklass/jasonsink.htm

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++