I literally have the flatest feet around, but have been using your typcial off-shelf arch supports and felt fine all my life. Last couple months, I started wearing an ankle brace to help relieve some pain. But within the last few weeks, my right ankle has been starting to swell & turn in badly and putting stress on my fibula ankle joint and ligaments to the point where I can not stand or walk without extreme shooting pain. It was like a reoccurring twisted ankle. Friends tell me I that I looked like I was literally walking on my ankle. So I have been doing heat and advil until I got into the docots.

The doctor that I saw was iffy if x-rays would actually show any tears or damage, and just suggested getting a firm plastic orthotic arch supports & stay in high top shoes as much as possible. That was pretty much my 5 minute visit. The last couple days the pains have lessened dramatically with the new arch supports.

Other than ankle brace, the orthotic arches, high tops, and heat. Is there anything else I can do to help with my ankles? The doctor said I should try to walk and hike in the new arches as much as possible as long as I don't have pains. Is that really wise, or should I stay off my feet?