WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Fuel Gel, Diethylene Glycol - Your thoughts?

My brother in-law found this product, "Fuel Gel, Diethylene Glycol, Military". It is supposed to be used as a replacement for the old Trioxane bars. has anyone tried these? It appears to be sterno in a gel. What are your thoughts?

Fuel Gel, Diethylene Glycol, Military
    Here is the real Military deal!
    The military is now using this Diethylene Glycol fuel gel as the replacement for the old Trioxane Fuel Bars. This gel has a higher heat of combustion per unit mass and its only combustion by-products are carbon dioxide and water. When compared to Trioxane, it weighs less, burns hotter, and doesn't give off toxic gases.
    Simply tear open the pouch, squeeze the contents onto the ground or onto your Esbit or Tri-Wing stove, shield from the wind and light with a match.
    Place your canteen cup over the flame and in less than 8 minutes you will get boiling water!

The gel burns with a steady, blue flame of low luminosity and gives off no smoke. In fact, the clear blue flame is all but invisible in daylight.
    On average you should expect to get 12-15 minutes of useable flame from a single pouch.
    Three (3) pouches per box.
    Fuel Gel, Diethylene Glycol (box of 3). Price $1.25, Ten (10) or more boxes for $0.99 each
    "Not all who wander are lost." -J. R. R. Tolkien

Images

Antifreeze?

I dunno. I'm leery of the "doesn't give off toxic gases" part.

I wouldn't have guessed it was all that flammable, to be honest.
    Skids

Insanity: Asking about inseams over and over again and expecting different results.
    Albert Einstein, (attributed)

Images
    The trail was here before we arrived, and it will still be here when we are gone...enjoy it now, and preserve it for others that come after us

Ethylene glycol (antifreeze) is one alcohol. Diethylen glycol is a different alcohol, apparently a gel. Not the same thing. Neither, I'm sure, is fit to drink. Any alcohol should burn without toxic fumes. This has no bearing on their suitability as fuel.
    "It's fun to have fun, but you have to know how." ---Dr. Seuss

The toxicity of this stuff is if you digest it you will likely die of kidney failure. I am not sure how much would need to get into you food or onto your toothbrush or whatever.

Cool stuff..I'm an Esbit man for short hikes. Todd Heyn, how about a short report if you get a chance to use this stuff. Thanks.

I'm kind curious if there is a cool way to tear it open and light it, so that the wrapper acts as a container of some kind and all the fuel eventually gets burned even what might be left inside. Maybe squeeze it all out onto an old wrapper and then open the wrapper up and coil it around the fuel like a reflector. Is it foil on the inside?

Whats that stuff that chinese restaurants use in the Pu Pu Platters. It's like a pink/ purple stuff. Always wondered if that would work, and it has to be non toxic, cause people have been cooking food with it for years.... straight on the flame too. I bet it might be cheap from some type of food distribution company.

He said that he was going to be send me a few packets. As soon as I get some, I will pass along a report.
    "Not all who wander are lost." -J. R. R. Tolkien

Images

Same stuff they use for warming food trays at banquets and such. I've made some big wick stoves with cans of the stuff they sell at food supply houses. Somewhere here in the archives is a thread showing a stove made with the stuff.

Material Safety Data Sheet

Journal Entries
    Images

Yes I picked them up at a mil surplus store... I tried a few packets. I didn't have enough to try cooking and two cups came to a boil fairly quickly.

Here is the thing, instead of carrying tinder and a bunch of stuff for firemaking, candles, etc. 1 pack will make a good fire in wet conditions. Throw it in the survival bag.
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

I experimented with various gels while playing around with alcohol stoves (before I tried Esbit - the lightest way to go in warmer weather).
    None of the gelled fuels that I tried burned as hot as regular denatured alcohol, and they all left gunk on the bottom of my pots. Convient? Possibly, but I wouldn't trust it to boil water in any weather except warm, windless days.
    As I live, declares the Lord God, I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that the wicked turn back from his way and live. Ezekiel 33:11

Images

Default Sterno

Quote Originally Posted by Homer&Marje View Post
    Whats that stuff that chinese restaurants use in the Pu Pu Platters. It's like a pink/ purple stuff. Always wondered if that would work, and it has to be non toxic, cause people have been cooking food with it for years.... straight on the flame too. I bet it might be cheap from some type of food distribution company.
    Sterno maybe?
    Everyone has a photographic memory. Not everyone has film.

Quote Originally Posted by Hillwalker View Post
    Sterno maybe?
    Maybe, It sort of looks the same, but I always thought that sterno was kind of toxic... we use it on steam trays and such...they have about 5 hours of burn to them and I know people use those directly on the trail. But I was thinking of getting some of that gel and trying it in one of my alky stoves. I know a lady who owns a chinese restaurant though, I'm gonna ask her if they just dig that stuff out of sterno cans.

Images

The name of the stove was the Zengia (think trangia)

I removed the original wick and filled the entire opening with wick.

This product is liquid, not gelled like the miltary. Same stuff though.

The Zengia Stove thread

Images

Quote Originally Posted by zelph View Post
    The name of the stove was the Zengia (think trangia)

I removed the original wick and filled the entire opening with wick.

This product is liquid, not gelled like the miltary. Same stuff though.

The Zengia Stove thread

Does it soot the bottom of the pot?
    Skids

Insanity: Asking about inseams over and over again and expecting different results.
    Albert Einstein, (attributed)

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Skidsteer View Post
    Does it soot the bottom of the pot?
    It burns clean. The liguid needs a wick of some sort in order for it to catch fire. I wonder what the military packets have in them to make it catch.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Wise Old Owl View Post
    Yes I picked them up at a mil surplus store... I tried a few packets. I didn't have enough to try cooking and two cups came to a boil fairly quickly.

Here is the thing, instead of carrying tinder and a bunch of stuff for firemaking, candles, etc. 1 pack will make a good fire in wet conditions. Throw it in the survival bag.
    How do you light them? Do you squeeze the gel out into a tray/dish, the foil of the package? Is there a wick of any kind? Is the stuff saturated onto a pad? Any photos available?

Thanks for your input.

Diethelene glycol can be used a lot more than just boiling water.
    The military is also very multi purpose
    It has been said that a journey begins with a single step. I say hogwash! It starts with a dream.

diethylene, had to fix my spelling
    It has been said that a journey begins with a single step. I say hogwash! It starts with a dream.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++