WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Nice dude!!!!!!

geek

congratulations LION KING.

Images

Wtg Dude! Cheers
    FISHINFRED

MY STUFF

MY STUFF ON EBAY

lion king did you go through the iowa section? If you did it would be on alot of bike trails.

Images

A georgia bulldog congratulates you

Looking for a comfortable cave to habitate jrwiesz's Avatar
    Images

Default ADT - Iowa

Quote Originally Posted by puddingboy View Post
    lion king did you go through the iowa section? If you did it would be on alot of bike trails.
    The Northern most point on the ADT. Near Waterloo, Iowa, I think?

"For me, it is better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring."
    Carl Sagan

Well Done!!!!
    E-Z---"from sea to shining sea''

Looking for a comfortable cave to habitate jrwiesz's Avatar
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by jrwiesz View Post
    The Northern most point on the ADT. Near Waterloo, Iowa, I think?
    Try these. Messed up the first attempts to upload.

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/...mageuser=10968

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/...mageuser=10968
    "For me, it is better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring."
    Carl Sagan

Registered User Different Socks's Avatar
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Sly View Post
    Nope, sorry, according to the definition a thru-hike supposed to take one year or less. Kludos anyway!
    A thru-hike is not defined as doing a trail in one year. A thru-hike is defined as hiking the entire trail w/o significant periods of time off. If you take a winter off just so you can hike in more favorable weather, that is not a thru-hike. If you take a week off (or 2) to heal up some blisters or other injury, then get back on the trail, that would be a thru-hike.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by A-Train View Post
    Congrats goes out to Lion King for tackling a long trail and documenting many of his adventures across the country.

Gotta give kudos to anyone who can span a thru-hike over 2 calendar years and hike through the winter.

Way to go!
    Can you really call it a thru hike for Lion King if he skipped several sections and followed his own route(in other words, he blue blazed)?

Quote Originally Posted by Different Socks View Post
    Can you really call it a thru hike for Lion King if he skipped several sections and followed his own route(in other words, he blue blazed)?
    People like you get under my skin.

What did I skip?

Now, for your information, some of the routes I found, due to whatever conditions, including weather, road walks etc...I talked to locals, including Rangers, park service, trail volunteers, etc. and now some of the 'blue blazes' which dont exist on this incomplete trail, are now in use as routes for furture hikers of the ADT.

I found bike paths that run the same routes as some of the road walks, found trails where there were road walks and I walked them.

These routes, along with the change in ST Louis have a lot to do with my walk and work.

Know your facts before you call people out.

Hey LK, don't getcha mane all bunched up.
    You need not explain to most here.
    We gettit!
    E-Z---"from sea to shining sea''

Images

A thru-hike is not defined as doing a trail in one year. A thru-hike is defined as hiking the entire trail w/o significant periods of time off. If you take a winter off just so you can hike in more favorable weather, that is not a thru-hike. If you take a week off (or 2) to heal up some blisters or other injury, then get back on the trail, that would be a thru-hike.
    pretty sure sly was joking......

how 'bout you go hike the adt and then you can let us all know
    "The spirit of resistance to government is so valuable on certain occasions, that I wish it always to be kept alive." -TJ

Georgetown, South Carolina, United States
    Images

LK is my hero! WTG
    Everyone's first question:
    "Wow - How tall are you?"
    Answer: "I'm 6'6""
    Ergo, my trail name: 'Six-Six'

Quote Originally Posted by Lion King View Post
    People like you get under my skin.

What did I skip?

Now, for your information, some of the routes I found, due to whatever conditions, including weather, road walks etc...I talked to locals, including Rangers, park service, trail volunteers, etc. and now some of the 'blue blazes' which dont exist on this incomplete trail, are now in use as routes for furture hikers of the ADT.

I found bike paths that run the same routes as some of the road walks, found trails where there were road walks and I walked them.

These routes, along with the change in ST Louis have a lot to do with my walk and work.

Know your facts before you call people out.
    Late congratulations Lion King!

Just today I was browsing Walking With Spring and it's striking how Earl Shaffer went through a similar experience when he thruhiked the AT in '48. Although the Trail was theoretically complete, there were large swaths of missing trail so he did his best to follow the corridor. Much of where he traversed became subsequently relocated.

Laugh until it hurts, then laugh at that :) adventurousmtnlvr's Avatar
    Images

Glad you made it! I enjoyed the videos as well. Great life experiences for sure that no one can take away Get some rest (after the party of course lol).

One day I did a short 5 mile walk through the woods after working in my yard and part of the trail was flooded up to my knees and other parts were gone (washed off a cliff) but I just went through the briars and sticker bushes to get around and re-find the trail later (took longer but I did it) .... or did I? .... lol

Images

As soon as "Diff Sox" has 10% of Lion King's miles, he or she can carry LK's "Dirty Sox".
    When she or he eventually has 20% of LK's miles, he she will know enough not to go blowing BS on the internets. Especially about something that is so far out in the future.
    Hike WHATEVER AND HOWEVER AND WHERE EVER.
    Blah blah blah.
    It is just walking, nothing special.
    It has all been done before.
    Unless it is for some special cause. No, wait....hang on....that has been done before as well.
    Enjoy your hike, don't keep us posted.
    What? Me worry??

Images

Quote Originally Posted by RedneckRye View Post
    As soon as "Diff Sox" has 10% of Lion King's miles, he or she can carry LK's "Dirty Sox".
    When she or he eventually has 20% of LK's miles, he she will know enough not to go blowing BS on the internets. Especially about something that is so far out in the future.
    Hike WHATEVER AND HOWEVER AND WHERE EVER.
    Blah blah blah.
    It is just walking, nothing special.
    It has all been done before.
    Unless it is for some special cause. No, wait....hang on....that has been done before as well.
    Enjoy your hike, don't keep us posted.
    Actually I do have 10% or more of LK's miles(0ver 9500 miles to date) unless of course you are referring only to the ADT.

As for LK's claim to doing what he believes to be the actual trail: I was lead to believe that after several others had already attempted the ADT and some that indeed had done it before LK, that the trail was defined and on the ground, with of course the exception to a few places.
    I recall an example in one of LK's entries that he deliberately went off the official route and went out of his way to have a different experince of something that was not directly along the trail. Example of this would be to visit Brasstown Bald north of the AT, while doing the AT, then connect up with the AT further north. This would be considered a large blue blazing, similar to what LK has said he has done in his own journal entries.

I'm just saying, if he knowingly skipped official sections of trail to go his own way that HE thought was a better, wiser choice, AND did it alittle too often, would it still be considered a thru hike of the ADT?
    If an AT hiker hiked the trail this way, would he be able to accurately call himself a thru-hiker? Does this kind of thing happen? Yes indeed! When i thru hiked the AT in 1992, there was one hiker whom earned the name "Indigo" for he did as much blue blazing as he could. Having hiked the length of the AT Mtns from GA to ME as little as possible on the AT itself, would the hiking community still acknowledge him as a thru hiker of the AT?

You did the miles! Congratulations Lion King!
    "every day's a holiday, every meal a feast"

Actually I do have 10% or more of LK's miles(0ver 9500 miles to date) unless of course you are referring only to the ADT.

As for LK's claim to doing what he believes to be the actual trail: I was lead to believe that after several others had already attempted the ADT and some that indeed had done it before LK, that the trail was defined and on the ground, with of course the exception to a few places.
    I recall an example in one of LK's entries that he deliberately went off the official route and went out of his way to have a different experince of something that was not directly along the trail. Example of this would be to visit Brasstown Bald north of the AT, while doing the AT, then connect up with the AT further north. This would be considered a large blue blazing, similar to what LK has said he has done in his own journal entries.

I'm just saying, if he knowingly skipped official sections of trail to go his own way that HE thought was a better, wiser choice, AND did it alittle too often, would it still be considered a thru hike of the ADT?
    If an AT hiker hiked the trail this way, would he be able to accurately call himself a thru-hiker? Does this kind of thing happen? Yes indeed! When i thru hiked the AT in 1992, there was one hiker whom earned the name "Indigo" for he did as much blue blazing as he could. Having hiked the length of the AT Mtns from GA to ME as little as possible on the AT itself, would the hiking community still acknowledge him as a thru hiker of the AT?
    **** you.

There I said it.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++