WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Spanky MEPA '02, MEGA '08 spanky's Avatar

Default What happened to Spanky!!!!!!!!!!!!!

An emailer (and fellow hiker) recently asked me this question: "hey spanky.... i heard that there is alot of yellow blazing going on w/ you!!! whats up with that man??? are you even a thru-hiker....Natural

LOL... yes, it's true! I knew going onto the A.T. this year - that there was a real possibility that I was going to have to deviate from the purity that is "thru-hiking!"

And, because my whole hike this year, was based more on "hiking on behalf of fathers" and not necessarily "thru-hiking", I had to adjust my itinerary to match my public commitments toward speaking engagements and the such...

Man, I sure missed all of you though!!!

Anyways, I ended up dropping off the trail at New York border in order to help my son move to Ft. Knox, Ky and to move my whole family from St. Simons Island, GA to Bowling Green, Ky. too! Wow! What a wild and crazy year this has been!

I have had some wonderful emails from several fellow hikers since I have gone "astray!" But, the memories are indeed, a wonderful treasure trove - and, more than a little tearful too!

I am now speaking at men's conferences and the such... and am preparing for a large conference to take place in the first quarter of 2009. I hope that my dear wife will join me as I attempt to finish hiking the A.T. by section hiking beginnning 2009.

I will start at Kent, CT and work my way SOBO. Did you make it all the way? I sure hope so!

I am also posting this on a public forum so you all will know that I wasn't swallowed up by a bear or something!

Best wishes and hopefully, will see you down the trail again!

Spanky
    http://www.codybateman.org

Images

Default Glad to hear you didn't get eaten by a bear...

I did wonder what happened. Your witness was a blessing to many. I hope your hike for fathers will be blessed too. Hope the moves for your family went smoothly. Let us know about your hike plans for next year.

Images

As I wrote to Spanky just last month, he is one of the most memorable hikers to pass through our hostel, Green Mountain House.

Any hikers to get to meet Spanky in 2009 will be richly rewarded !!!!

Oh, how I regret not being able to meet up with you before getting off the trail! Those first three months in New England were tough - constant storms, overflowing rivers in the 100-mile and the lonliness too!

Still, I knew you were behind me and I am glad that we can at least, wave toward one another in this forum! We will meet again - and very soon too!

Take care Redhat. Our journey is greater than the trail and the destination more incredible than either Springer or Kitahdin!

Your friend,

Spanky

I have to tell you - I have stayed in a lot of places during my three journeys along the A.T. Your "Green Mountain Home" is at the top of my list of places to "zero." Why?

1. The most beautiful accommodations on the trail
    2. You served from your heart and asked nothing in return
    3. You provided a service, food and warmth in abundance and did so, with genuine humility too!
    4. You had fun hosting me and everyone else too - and made it fun for us!

Kudos on a season well run!

Be encouraged my friend,

Spanky

++ New Posts ++