WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Diffeence in Weather March 1 Vs 18th?

I was planning to start my thru on March 3rd. Someone at the ATC in Harpersferry said I see a significant improvement in weather if I waited 15 or so days until around the 18th of March. How acurate is this?

I know the weather is highly variable in the mountains and anything can happen at any time but in gerneral what do you think. I iked the LT in VT form the end of October to the the week before Thanksgiving so I am used to nights in the low teens. I know I could get snow off for a day or two. Is it likely to get snow off for musch longer or on multile ocassions?

Before you ask I am trying to get done before Labor day if possible.

Thanks

Either way you could hit some nasty weather. I'd just leave on the 3rd and if the weather turns too bad there's plenty of places to hole up for a day or two at the beginning of the trail. Just get a weather report before you enter the Smokies. You'll be fine.

Images

You should be fine starting 3/3, especially if you want to finish by Labor Day. The extra two weeks will make more of a difference in being able to slow down (a little) on the hike than they will in the weather, in my opinion.
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

No doubt what the ATC says is statically true, but one year early March could be great and late March nasty. Or the other way around. Its close enough to beginning of March now, so you should be able to get a reasonably good long range forcast for the month. Lately, it seems it's been pretty warm down south and not too many storms and those have been moving through quickly.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Images

It's 71 in Nashville right now. Tomorrow morning it's supposed to be 29. It really is a crapshoot when it comes to the weather down here. I'd leave March 3rd.
    "It was on the first of May, in the year 1769, that I resigned my domestic happiness for a time, and left my family and peaceable habitation on the Yadkin River, in North Carolina, to wander through the wilderness of America." - Daniel Boone

Images

I am leaving March 4th, weather be what it be. I still have a fair bit of anxiety about the trip having been very sick in july last year, but I am leaving anyway. I am giving myself 7 months to finish, most of that includes a very slow start of 8 +/- miles a day for the first week and some zero days for my body to heal. I am bringing a warm bag, if I have to I'll just jump in and wait it out with the rest of the crowd.

Night time temps won't be much different --although the average will probably be a little warmer, but it'll be cold at night. Maybe a little warmer daytime temps. I've hiked thru that area 4 times and I've seen snow on two seperate trips during the month of May.

Images

"March goes in like a lion and out like a lamb.."

Does that answer your question?

Panzer

The folks in Harpers Ferry told you exactly right.

While it's true that some years, the early March starters have great weather, you have a MUCH greater chance of experiencing milder and warmer weather by waiting 2 or 3 weeks to start.

In addition, if you do this, you'll almost certainly experience fewer shortened or abbreviated hiking days; will have less unplanned time off in towns; will spend less time in towns; and will probably save several hundred dollars.

Quote Originally Posted by gonewalkabout View Post
    I was planning to start my thru on March 3rd. Someone at the ATC in Harpersferry said I see a significant improvement in weather if I waited 15 or so days until around the 18th of March. How acurate is this?

I know the weather is highly variable in the mountains and anything can happen at any time but in gerneral what do you think. I iked the LT in VT form the end of October to the the week before Thanksgiving so I am used to nights in the low teens. I know I could get snow off for a day or two. Is it likely to get snow off for musch longer or on multile ocassions?

Thanks
    Go early and don't think twice about it. The world may come to an end by the third week of March!

I would carry the same cold-weather gear for a March 18th departure date as I would if I started March 1st.

Quote Originally Posted by gonewalkabout View Post

Thanks
    Go early and don't think twice about it. The world may come to an end by the third week of March!

Thanks everyone for all your opinons. If I can pull it all together I be there on the 3rd. Thanks agian.

Images

Go for it. Last year the late starters hit bad weather in early april. Weather is weather.
    SGT Rock
    http://hikinghq.net

My 2008 Trail Journal of the BMT/AT

BMT Thru-Hikers' Guide
    -----------------------------------------

NO SNIVELING

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Tarlin View Post
    The folks in Harpers Ferry told you exactly right.

While it's true that some years, the early March starters have great weather, you have a MUCH greater chance of experiencing milder and warmer weather by waiting 2 or 3 weeks to start.

In addition, if you do this, you'll almost certainly experience fewer shortened or abbreviated hiking days; will have less unplanned time off in towns; will spend less time in towns; and will probably save several hundred dollars.
    I don't know about "a Much" greater chance. And as far as it costing "several hundred" dollars. Please. It will most likely be a little colder with a slightly better chance of running into foul weather. Some hikers prepare for such weather and hike and some only hike when it's 72 and sunny. I guess those are the ones that are spending hundreds of dollars extra.

Images

I stared in January and didn't take any days off for weather - just hiked in it (I did get some frostbite on my ears one day). I did take days off for illness and family visits. I had to walk through some knee deep snow and had temps in the single digits (without windchill factor) and it worked out.
    SGT Rock
    http://hikinghq.net

My 2008 Trail Journal of the BMT/AT

BMT Thru-Hikers' Guide
    -----------------------------------------

NO SNIVELING

Images

Quote Originally Posted by rockhound View Post
    And as far as it costing "several hundred" dollars. Please.
    You could easily go through several hundred dollars pretty quick by just staying a few extra nights in motels and having a few extra restaurant meals.

Panzer

Images

I started march 30th and finished the day after labor day. We got quite a bit of crappy weather, even in May on Mt. Rogers, so you can't really avoid it, you just gotta hike through it. I live in Athens, GA, and March weather here is all over the place. It's true you're slightly more likely to miss some bad weather by waiting, but who knows? It could be Beautiful in the beginning of March, and it often is. We get a lot of thunderstorms in March and wide temperature fluctuations the entire month, so it's all luck of the draw. Go when is best for you, and don't worry about the weather.

If you leave earlier, it may give you more flexibility later.. to take an extra zero day, and you may not be as pushed towards the end to make the Labor Day deadline.

Quote Originally Posted by Panzer1 View Post
    You could easily go through several hundred dollars pretty quick by just staying a few extra nights in motels and having a few extra restaurant meals.

Panzer
    Let's say this hiker starts 2 weeks earlier and a huge blizzard hits and he has to zero for 7 of those 14 days. In the beginning of the trail there are enough hostels so you don't have to use hotels unless there is a group of 3 or 4 where the money will work out to be the same. Eating out is a choice not a necessity. Let's say this hiker spends a generous $10 on food eating in instead of out. $15/day lodging + $10/day food= $25/day X 7 days for a total of $175 for the week. It still ain't "hundreds" of dollars. On the other hand if this hiker chooses to hotel by himself and eat out for every meal I could see how it could cost "hundreds".

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++