WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by LTHotSauce View Post
    I have a very interesting job situation. In 8 days I will commission into the active army as a 2nd Lieutenant branched aviation. Yet, due to (I assume) a backlog in army officer schools, my orders don't have me report until march 2010. So when I found that out I thought, perfect time to hike the AT!

Btw they don't pay me or give me health insurance until march..... Hurray for student debt!
    Good luck with your military career and thanks for serving! I retire from the Air Force this February after 20 years and your thread forced me to look back to when I first came in. Last year I had a chance to attend commo class at Ft Gordon, combat skills training at Ft Bragg and then 7 months in Baghdad embedded with the 360th Civil Affairs Brigade. It was a pleasure working with the Army!

Climber, caver, camper, canoeist since 1965

I was a union painter 14 years, did lots of high, hard, hot and dirty work. Loved working high...stage and bosun's chair.

Started my own business and went into fine decorating. Hanging paper in exclusive homes.

Got a real estate license and sold for 8 years, also bought.

I'm now a slumlord. I collect rents, fix the places up when they need it and generally try to stay out of the way. Two days ago a big maple blew down and made a mess at one of my properties. I've been lumberjackin lately.
    We don't stop hiking because we grow old, we grow old because we stop hiking. Finis Mitchell

I am a Juvenile Corrections Officer for the county. Paid way more than I should be,and now that I've been here almost 10 yrs I've been building up as much time off as possible. As it stands now between sick time,paid vacation,comp, and personal time I get about 45-50 days off per year. Unfortunetly I'm not able to take all that at once,but by the time I can(in about 3-4 yrs) I will have at least doubled that to around 100-115 days. So until I retire in about 14-15 yrs I'll be sticking to section hiking.
    Komu pora,temu czas

Engineer, self-employed. Kind of a niche specialty, doing structural analysis for instrumentation in spacecraft, areospace and research and development.

Eventually invested in some rental property, and morphed into a property manager. And that sure needs a different skill set.

I've been keeping an eye out for the next significant change but it's to hazy to see it yet.

Cooking in the Backcountry LaurieAnn's Avatar
    Images

Graphic & Website Designer/Author — Self-Employed. I love it and it gives me time to do the things I enjoy. My husband is a Technical Service Engineer in Manufacturing (Tool Presetting).

grad student in psychology.....hoping to get some good hiking in before work owns my life!

Retired teacher. Life is pretty good right now, although I need to get to the woods more often.

TWS

Images

Retired Navy CPO. Currently driving a bus for people with handicaps. Low pay but very rewarding. They let me off long enough for a 121 mile section this year. Maybe longer next!
    Forget not that the earth delights to feel your bare feet and the winds long to play with your hair. -Kahlil Gibran

Garlic
    Images

This describes fairly well the lives of some hikers I know: http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/30158150/
    "Throw a loaf of bread and a pound of tea in an old sack and jump over the back fence." John Muir on expedition planning

Images

I have tried everything from wrestling alligators (somehow not a really career oriented job) to plumbing and electrical work. For the past 19 years I have been gainfully employed as a paramedic for a rural county in central Florida. Six more to go until retirement, but who's counting .
    “He is richest who is content with the least, for content is the wealth of nature.” –Socrates

Images

Thaniks for the link Garlic. That is a good article.

Well, as I said when I started this thread. I am fed up and need to do something. I did stop at the local employment office today. Not very many opportunities for myself. I also went down to the local Kent State branch, and got all the enrollment crap I needed. I am also gonna set up an appointment with the advisor of the nursing program. I have 93 credit hours as a chem major so I am thinking that I should be able to get through an associates in Nursing pretty quickly.
    Keep close to Nature's heart... and break clear away, once in awhile, and climb a mountain or spend a week in the woods. Wash your spirit clean.-John Muir

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8
++ New Posts ++