WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Thread: shin splints

Default shin splints

just what is the exact physiology of shin splints?
    What should be done for prevention?
    What are the treatment options?

Images
    The trail was here before we arrived, and it will still be here when we are gone...enjoy it now, and preserve it for others that come after us

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Bryce View Post
    just what is the exact physiology of shin splints?
    What should be done for prevention?
    What are the treatment options?
    "Shin splints" are a type of over-use injury as the link explains. As upright beings, humans require constant use (tension) of the lower extremity posterior muscles just to stand. Walking and running require even more use. These muscles range from the buttocks all the way down to the lower part of the calf muscles. When over-trained, they tighten, causing problems in the muscles themselves (such as the muscle tears we often see in sprinters) and in their attachments to the heel and foot (Achilles tendon and plantar or "bottom-of-the-foot" fascia). Problems there result in Achilles tendinitis and plantar fasciitis.
    Shin splints result from constant pulling on the anterior muscles of the lower leg. Think of that part as a "bow": as you increase tension on the string (posterior muscles) you cause stretching on the front or anterior part of the bow, causing shin splints.
    So there are 4 major ways to help shin splints (the same as for the other pathologies). The first is with ice and NSAID's like ibuprofen to help with pain and inflammation. Second, stretch the posterior muscles. Regularly and with "severe" stretches. Make them hurt and hold them there. These include stretches for the buttocks, hamstrings, calves, etc. Thirdly, strengthen the muscles of the anterior lower leg. Make sandbags and put them on your toes while sitting down. Curl your feet up at the ankles. Increase weights or reps each session.
    Lastly, make a splint that keeps your feet at a 90 deg angle while you sleep. Note that your calf muscles cause your feet to "drop" while you sleep. This bunches up the calf muscles even more, making them shorter, tighter, and more prone to injury. This really does do wonders for shin splints and is very effective.
    "Keep moving: death is very, very still."
    ---Lily Wagner (nee Hennessy)

Everytime I've got them I just walked them off.

Images

Default I agree with stretching.

I mostly will stretch my calf muscle, and will do this throughout the day. At a pack-off break I'll stretch the whole leg and back by touching my toes and holding that position for a while.
    Last edited by Mr. Clean; 12-05-2009 at 06:17. Reason: spelling
    Greg P.

The best thing I have found is pointing my toes straight out and drawing out the alphabet with my toes. It has always really helped me...

Do all the stretches and exercises they are good -- not just for shin splints -- but in the end it's just a matter of walking them off. The toughness developed in that area is what keeps the shin splints away. This pain is weakness leaving the body.

Don't sit on the couch waiting for them to heal.

Images

Default Bad advice

Quote Originally Posted by john gault View Post
    Do all the stretches and exercises they are good -- not just for shin splints -- but in the end it's just a matter of walking them off. The toughness developed in that area is what keeps the shin splints away. This pain is weakness leaving the body.

Don't sit on the couch waiting for them to heal.
    That's a recipe for more trouble

Hiking poles do wonders to reduce the sudden stresses on the legs.
    "Today I have grown taller from walking with the trees." Karle Wilson Baker

The 90 deg feet while sleeping sounds like wearing one's boots to bed.

Quote Originally Posted by humunuku View Post
    That's a recipe for more trouble
    Worked for me and I'm not a physically gifted person. What's your recommendation?

Images

rest/stretching and Vit I -

Its an overuse injury, so if you keep putting stress on the muscle, it usually gets worse. That may have worked for you, but in general it going to cause more issues for most people. I too tried to walk thru it - it only made it worse (a lot worse).
    Muscles need to relax to heal, if they are in constant tension then they take a long time to heal.

++ New Posts ++