WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Former Admin

Default Graymoor Spirtual Life Center

Comments, experiences, opinions, related to the Graymoor Spirtual Life Center.

GA-ME 3/5/02 -8/14/02
    Images

These people are amazing. We showed up smelling AWFUL on a 100 + degree day, about 2 minutes before dinner time, and they put on an incredible dinner, and we got to speak with the head friar all through dinner, and he told us about the history of the place and it's tradition of helping the folks in the area. great people, more tenting (in the baseball field) than you could want, outhouses, a cold water shower, and a nice covered pavillion. ZILLIONS of mosqitos when we went through here. (You can also walk about 5 miles to Peekskill, NY from here and get into NYC to get to the bus station if needed)
    "It's a dangerous business, going out your door...if you don't keep your feet, there's no telling where you might be swept off to."-The Hobbit

Greymore isn't what it used to be. When I was there last summer (2001), they only invited hikers in for dinner during July and August. And a limited number at that.

Tenting on the ball field, as you posted. No more sleeping in the monistary.

Yes, it was buggy.

Default Graymoor was great

I have absolutely no complaints about a place that invites persons from all walks of life to sit down and share a meal with them.

Although you no longer have an indoor room to bunk down in, much in part due to dwindling funds (as explained to me by one of the Friars), you can get a good meal, and a free place to stay - which is few and far-between in NY. If you have the time, get there early and take a walk around the premises. It's nice.

Images

Default Graymoor

I stayed there on 5/10/04. You take the blue blaze to the ball field and can either tent or sleep under the covered pavillion. I chose the concrete floor in the pavillion and it was a good choice because it stormed through the night. There is a hiker register there. Also, you have running water with a sink right there and a cold shower stall. There are several trash cans right on the ball field.

This is a good place to stay since there are no shelters along the trail between West Mtn and RPH (31 miles).

After staying at Brien Shelter in Harriman, crossing Bear Mtn, I was glad to come to the Graymoor Friary for a convenient easy nights stay. However, I never did find the bathrooms there. They must be up near the monistary.

Smile Be grateful

Quote Originally Posted by Peaks
    Greymore isn't what it used to be. When I was there last summer (2001), they only invited hikers in for dinner during July and August. And a limited number at that.

Tenting on the ball field, as you posted. No more sleeping in the monistary.

Yes, it was buggy.
    In addition to possibly low funds as explained in another post, I heard that some less grateful hikers expected some kind of special treatment and were unappreciative of the Monk's generosity. So no indoor sleeping or free meals anymore. So what? It was still a neat place to stay and you can get pizza delivered. the shower was cold, but it was a shower none the less. Was it less buggy in a trail shelter?
    I hate Nike but Just Do It anyway!

Images

As of this spring (2006), the monastery did not seem to be offering hikers a free meal... however we were among the very first people through for the year, since we were section hiking, and I found the beauty of the site and the peaceful nature of the grounds and people living or staying there to be awesome. We attended Mass (everyone passing through is welcome to attend the church services) with the men in the rehab program and it was one of the more moving times of my life, just to see how these fellows were trying so hard to re-make their lives and become useful to society again. Also... Brother Leo, the monk "in charge" of hiker hospitality this year, gave us delicious zucchini bread, and entertained my children for hours with fascinating stories of his missionary time in Brazil. Altogether, it really brought home to us why they call Greymoor the "holy mountain."

Jane in CT

Default Graymoor Friary

Anything new on the Graymoor Friary? Is it still open and can it be used by section hikers?

Outlaw

GA-ME 2011
    Images

You can camp at the ball field. There is a cold shower and outhouse. No free meals though. You can have carry out delivered or if you heading NB you can pick up something to eat at new market about a half mile before Graymoor. Take time to tour the facility, lots of cool stuff to see.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Don H View Post
    You can camp at the ball field. There is a cold shower and outhouse. No free meals though. You can have carry out delivered or if you heading NB you can pick up something to eat at new market about a half mile before Graymoor. Take time to tour the facility, lots of cool stuff to see.
    That new "market" is just a gas station convenience store. Don't expect too much.

Journal Entries
    Images

Post Check these URLs

A map of the facility
    http://www.atonementfriars.org/who_w...aymoor_map.jpg

For #26 "Ball Field" the Friars state "Appalachian Trail hikers may use the campsite/shelter at the ball field with water, cold shower, and covered picnic pavilion free of charge. Pizza delivery menu is posted."

Here's their main site
    http://www.atonementfriars.org/index.html
    http://www.graymoorcenter.org

And a Google map of their location
    http://tinyurl.com/GreymoorMap

PCT, Sheltowee, Pinhoti, LT , BMT, AT, SHT, CDT, TRT 10-K's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by LIhikers View Post
    That new "market" is just a gas station convenience store. Don't expect too much.
    I know this is an old post but I stayed at the friary last year and thought the convenience store was great. Hot coffee, fresh pastries, pizza by the slice, hot dogs and the usual fare. Pretty nice.

I think it was called Appalachian Market or something like that.

++ New Posts ++