Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

IT is all a personal prefernce issue. Do what you feel comfortable with and make sure you read up on how to carry/dispose of things properly.

I have polycystic ovaries. Depo is not an option because anything with progesterone in it makes the cysts worse and I take on water like the titanic. So far nuvaring and yasmin are the best on the market for getting rid of the cysts by stopping the ovaries from ovulating. I was on yasmin when I wasn't hiking and the nuvaring when I was hiking.

On a long hike when I knew I was supposed to get my period my doc told me to just switch my ring out and not take the one week break. Nuvaring has two forms of estrogen in it at doses lower than the majority of the pills....and its an insert ring and don't worry for 3-4 weeks.

As for other methods there is a great site to go to for female hikers....http://hubpages.com/hub/How-to-Hike-During-Your-Period
    Gads...the smell....nope, it's not Bearpaw...just another skunk checking out the camp.

aluminum foil + crushed aspirin for the smell in a plastic bag.

Angry

Quote Originally Posted by Farr Away View Post
    Another possible birth control option to control your period is the depo shots. One shot every 3 months, and most women stop having periods while they are on it. I would start it 6 months (at least) before you plan to start your hike. Having said that, it doesn't work for everyone; some women are absolutely miserable on it, and/or end up having an almost continuous period and/or random spotting. You would also have to carry a prescription and figure out some place to get a shot (or two) during your six months of hiking. (Planned Parenthood?)

I was on this for several years, and it worked very well for me. I went off it last November though, and still haven't really gotten my period back. May be other factors at work there though. Just FYI.

May be something to talk to your GYN about anyway.

Dont do that!!! The one time I had a depo I had a continuous period for 6 months until I got put on another type to birth control to regulate it back out.

Images

I'll be using a keeper (like a diva cup, different brand) and bringing 2 reusable pads (from Amy's Rag Bag-she's great-you can trade with her, I sent her cookies for my pads) as back up. If I end up using one of the pads as well as my cup, I will likely pack it out in it's own ziploc bag and wash it when I get into town (I throw them in with the rest of my clothes-really easy!).
    AT 2010 Feb26-Aug14
    'Crash Course'

How good does a female athlete have to be before we just call her an athlete? ~Author Unknown

Default FYI: Amenorrhea

Lot's of good info being bandied about.

One piece of information missing from this discussion is about exercise induced amenorrhea, the condition that can occur when some women lose enough body fat and just stop having a period.

Previously, complications from amenorrhea were thought to be completely reversible. Now, it's understood to have potentially long term implications.

http://sportsmedicine.about.com/od/w...Amenorrhea.htm

What is unclear with reports about amenorrhea is whether athletes who experience amenorrhea for only a few months have the same long term complications. Chances are, long term, lifetstyle athletes who live with amenorrhea year after year are at much higher risk than a thruhiker who goes back to normal when they get off the trail. But, I'm no doctor and have no personal experience with this.

Of course, the best solution is prevention - EAT MORE! And look to high fat, high calcium foods if you lose your period while on a thruhike.

Oh, and talk to your doctor if you have concerns.

Mara - who joined the Keeper/Diva cup bandwagon years ago and has never looked back.
    Stitches, AT99
    Visit my Travels and Trails site: http://friends.backcountry.net/m_factor

Diva cup or pack out your trash.

You may find after a couple of weeks of hiking that your flow is reduced. After a month of extended strenuous hiking, as with female athletes in serious training, your mensus may cease all together until you give your body a chance to "recover" (after ending your hike.) At least this is the best case scenario.

While tampons are a great product on the homefront... I suggest caution when using them in the woods... I guess I know of too many cases of septic shock syndrome and always thought the risk of infection is too great when living outside for months at a time. There were some good recommendations for alternatives... glad I don't have to deal with that anymore.

Question about the DivaCup!

It says on their website, "Please use standard “cathole” practices. Also, observe the practice of containing the flow in a sealed plastic bag and hanging in a “bear bag” with other trash away from other animals,"

which leads me to believe that one is to empty the DivaCup into a bag, and pack it out like that. Is that right?

Thru-hiker in planning, 2013 GalHikingTheGap's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kristen! View Post
    Question about the DivaCup!

It says on their website, "Please use standard “cathole” practices. Also, observe the practice of containing the flow in a sealed plastic bag and hanging in a “bear bag” with other trash away from other animals,"

which leads me to believe that one is to empty the DivaCup into a bag, and pack it out like that. Is that right?
    There are two options according to them, and the right thing is going to depend where you're backpacking. Sub-alpine mtns in CO? Maybe bag the flow and pack it out. Check out LNT's Skills and Ethics guides for the area you're going to if you want to know the "right" thing to do, based on the area, I suppose.

L/Baby D

Hey guys! I just signed up to this forum today, and I'm so glad there's posts with information like this

I recently went to the Smokies and got really inspired to thru hike the AT. I'm not sure when I'll go, but I'm still excited about it! I've been reading some books (just on camping and "surviving" mostly) but noticed that they're all written by men, and probably not on-purpose geared more toward men. I'm not into feminism, but I kept wondering, hey, what do girls have in their pack lists, how do they deal with their periods, and do you just let leg and armpit hair grow wild (mine grows ridiculously fast, i have to shave every day. but of course youd let it grow out on the trail I guess) and so on. I know it's all little stuff, but I'm just so curious!

Like bras -how many would you bring/ how often would you rinse em on the trail?

I'm on the pill like some of you guys are. When you skipped the period weeks and whatnot, what was it like when you came home and starting having periods again? Did your body change a lot? Did it come back right away?

I feel like a little kid asking so many questions, but it'd be really helpful to know some more things before I set out. I have a long time to prepare, and I'm really, really excited. Thanks for reading, and my bad if some of these have been answered already

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Clumseybear View Post
    I had a very heavy flow for the past 10 years and have been very involved in the outdoors with a Scout Troop and decided this way no way to continue. While at an annual exam I saw an advertisement for this www.novasure.com. I asked my doctor about it and within a few weeks I had the procedure done. This has been one of the best things I have done for my well being. Not recommended if you are still planning on having a family.
    I agree with this 100%. I have always had extremely heavy periods and lots of cramping. I had this procedure done about 3 years ago. It is the BEST thing I have done for me. I used to plan trips around my period and there is no way I would have even considered trying to hike with it...not even a day hike. I don't even have to think about it any more. Anyone with heavy or difficult periods should consider it. It was outpatient, and very little if any recovery!!! I never even know when I have my period anymore.

Images

www.Mirena-US.com
    As a Physician let me also suggest the mirena IUD. No Periods and lasts for 5 years. Here in West Virginia it is covered on most insurance and free through family planning. I've placed lots of them and most are well tolerated and well liked.

Sorry to butt in as a guy but thought it might be helpful.

Doc Mike

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Mike View Post
    www.Mirena-US.com
    As a Physician let me also suggest the mirena IUD. No Periods and lasts for 5 years. Here in West Virginia it is covered on most insurance and free through family planning. I've placed lots of them and most are well tolerated and well liked.

Sorry to butt in as a guy but thought it might be helpful.

Doc Mike

I have the Mirena and like it, although I do have a period, not much of one - but definitely 3 days with enough flow to use a diva cup.

ladies, seriously look in to the Diva cup!!! it is the best thing on the trail!!!!!!!! I can't praise it enough. Also so you are all aware, there are other brands of menstrual cups some are smaller and more flexible and may work better for others!
    ~Christy

I started out using the Diva Cup and ended up getting two yeast infections while on the trail (both triggered at the end of my period)-fwiw I was also off and on antibiotics for various reasons and that most certainly contributed but I think in the hygeine conditions of the trail the Divacup may not be for every one. Fwiw, I also tried using the Nuvaring for birth control a few years ago and got an infection after about a week so it may just my body. It took some getting used to for me with the divacup on the trail. I found if I was not sitting on a toilet -ie if I was squatting behind a bush- my muscles were still holding it in and I had a really hard time getting it out. If I actually sat down I had better luck.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by daylaandjasper View Post
    I started out using the Diva Cup and ended up getting two yeast infections while on the trail (both triggered at the end of my period)-fwiw I was also off and on antibiotics for various reasons and that most certainly contributed but I think in the hygeine conditions of the trail the Divacup may not be for every one. Fwiw, I also tried using the Nuvaring for birth control a few years ago and got an infection after about a week so it may just my body. It took some getting used to for me with the divacup on the trail. I found if I was not sitting on a toilet -ie if I was squatting behind a bush- my muscles were still holding it in and I had a really hard time getting it out. If I actually sat down I had better luck.
    Sounds like you should start eating yogurt!

Journal Entries

Default Wha.....?

This may be a silly question, but never having been on the trail and in trying my best to prepare for March 2011, where does one actually take care of these things? Meaning; are there outhouses, or the like, at intervals on the trail? I just can't imagine trying to balance while removing or inserting menstrual products, (what ever style they may be,) hunkered behind some bush. Please advise....
    Illegitimi non Carborundum

Quote Originally Posted by 1cre8ive1 View Post
    This may be a silly question, but never having been on the trail and in trying my best to prepare for March 2011, where does one actually take care of these things? Meaning; are there outhouses, or the like, at intervals on the trail? I just can't imagine trying to balance while removing or inserting menstrual products, (what ever style they may be,) hunkered behind some bush. Please advise....
    You will get used to it. On the side of the trail and not even care
    Trail Cooking/FBC, Recipes, Gear and Beyond:
    Trail Cooking

Cooking in the Backcountry LaurieAnn's Avatar
    Images

The thing about the Diva cup is that it doesn't go high up like Instead or like a tampon. The need to balance is no worse than trying to pee.

For the lady who had a yeast infection with the Diva. The Diva is surgical silicone so most likely the yeast infection was from the antibiotics... they are known to do that. You might want to consider taking something like ProK or another probiotic when you are taking antibiotics.

I'm diabetic which makes me much more prone to yeast infections. Since being on ProK I haven't had an issue and I've never had an issue with the DivaCup.

In most areas you will be able to treat the fluids just like you would your feces. In sensitive alpine and tundra areas you'd pack the fluids out. Basically if you are in an area where you have to pack your feces out then this should be taken out too.

Default Diva and light flow?

Can I ask if anyone has used the Diva cup when they have a light flow?
    I currently take a progesterone only pill and it makes my periods really light.

I can't decide if it's best to:
    take the pills with me to the trail and just use light pantyliners like I do now,
    try the pills and the Diva with a light flow,
    or ditch the pills all together and just go with the Diva and probably heavier flows and some cramps?

Anyone been in a similar situation and has some advice?

Cheers for any help!

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
++ New Posts ++