WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Osprey Exos 58 pack

Anyone have any thoughts on this pack? Pros or cons.

Thanks
    Twilight

Images

i have one and really like it. i haven't used it beyond 25 lbs yet, so i can't comment on how it is up near 30. i bumped into a few thrus who were using them and they really liked them as well

it seems very light and the hipbelt and shoulder harness seem too thin, but they do pretty well w/ the weight. the airspeed back thingy that osprey has does a good job of keep the pack off your back and avoiding swamp back
    " It's what people know about themselves inside that makes 'em afraid." ~Clint Eastwood, High Plains Drifter

So many trails... so little time. Many Walks's Avatar

We have several packs and to date the Exos 58's are our favorites.

We've been winter camping at the Lassen Volcanic NF and they easily handled all the gear. They are light, comfortable, and well made.

The only two issues I see are (1) the buckles are a bit small when your hands get cold, but it's really no big deal. (2) the mesh hipbelt packets are a nice, but they seem to be situated a bit too far to the rear for my preference. Again, no big deal.

Otherwise, they have a good variety of pockets and a waterproof outside stuff pocket to hold wet clothes and gear.

We're taking them on a 10 day trek on the Tahoe Rim Trail on Sept 2-11 and believe they'll be perfect for that.

The main compartment can haul a bear canister (BV500) horizontally with no problem, to give an idea of the volume.

I haven't looked for a while, but hadn't seen them for less than $219 yet, so it's probably getting time to see some discounts and sales on them.
    That man is the richest whose pleasures are the cheapest. Henry David Thoreau

Hike smarter, not harder.

I think it is one of the coolest packs of all time, and wanted it to work, but I couldn't make it fit me right. The waist belt felt like it would cut me in two. Sold it to a skinny buddy who also needs a long, and he thinks it's the greatest thing since sliced bread. I used the money from it to get a ULA Catalyst. Should probably sell the same buddy my 46.

The 58 fell apart on me by damascus this year. It's not suitable for a thru-hike when at times you will be carrying over 30 lbs in food and water. It cannot withstand holding 35-40 lbs. The back panel started coming apart. It has to much room in the pack for the design. I would not get this pack in the 58, if you get it go with the 46. After owning that pack I will never own a pack with a mesh back like that. Got a ULA and its ten times more durable than that peice of crap. But I do seem to be one of the only people that hates that pack.

Images

I'm glad to hear someone hates the pack- I was afraid everyone was just keeping quiet. Good to know, Jah.

Hike smarter, not harder.

In all fairness, the 58 is an ultralight pack, and is neither designed for, or recommended for 35-40 pounds.

I carried one for 9 weeks on the AT and loved it. My base weight was about 20lbs and with food it at times went up to about 35 which was no issue at all.

It has great pockets, the mesh back really doesn't work as you think though and it "may" not be that durable. As someone has said it is a lightweight pack. I found it very comfortable. I had the 58 and it is huge. Overall a 9/10.

++ New Posts ++