WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Gear for Fall VT Section Hike

I'm planning to hike in MA and VT this September, and want to be prepared for the weather. I have only ever hiked the AT in PA, but as I have the opportunity to go out for several weeks, I figured I'd skip the rocks and enjoy the New England scenery and maybe even some Fall colors.

I recently purchased a 32 degree Western Mountaineering Summerlite sleeping bag (not cheap). Will that be warm enough? Should I get a silk liner?

What about cold weather clothing? What would you pack for this time of year?

Thanks for your input.

If you're a cold sleeper this bag might not be warm enough.
    As for liners, I don't believe they are the best use of weight/function, and they're a pain to use unless you have a method of attaching them to the inside of the foot of your bag (they come out with you, and often inside-out). You'd do better to bring some long polyester or wool underwear. Add socks, glove liners, and a stocking cap you can wear to bed and you have a mobile bag liner (better use of weight/function).
    In addition to the long johns I would bring a lightly insulated synthetic jacket or a fleece top with a windproof "windshirt" to layer over it. I'm a big proponent of using synthetic outer garments until it gets extremely cold, then I'll switch to down. Fleece pants are nice, too, but get them tight and without too many features to keep the weight down.

Oh, and welcome to Whiteblaze.
    As I live, declares the Lord God, I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that the wicked turn back from his way and live. Ezekiel 33:11

LT '79; AT '73-'14 in sections; Donating Member Kerosene's Avatar
    Images

I'd probably bring a 20-degree bag for a September hike in New England. You might be able to augment your SummerLite with some additional clothing, but at the risk of compressing the down insulation of this mummy bag. A silk liner will only add 3-5 degrees, although they can be nice as a "sheet" when it's too warm to fully zip up the mummy but you still want to keep the chill out.

For camp wear, a set of long underwear under dry hiking pants and a fleece, plus your rain jacket as a shell with a skull cap and lightweight gloves and dry socks works down to perhaps 25F.
    GA←↕→ME: 1973 to 2014

First frost in the Berkshires can be anytime after Mid September. So, be prepared for nights below freezing and frosty mornings.

Images

All good suggestions above. It is amazing how much a cap on your head helps keep the whole body warm.

This is a great journal of an autumn hike on Vermonts Long Trail. You might find it useful in your planning:

http://www.downthetrail.com/the-long-trail/?43d2b7a8

Thanks everyone. Hopefully I can return my Summerlite to EMS and get a warmer bag. Any recommendations?

Images

I looked up some weather data for you on wunderground for Newport, VT and Stowe, VT. The low temps for Sept. for the last couple of years is in the low 30s.
    http://www.wunderground.com/weathers...y=13&year=2007
    I agree with Tinker:
    If you're a cold sleeper this bag might not be warm enough.
    As for liners, I don't believe they are the best use of weight/function, and they're a pain to use unless you have a method of attaching them to the inside of the foot of your bag (they come out with you, and often inside-out). You'd do better to bring some long polyester or wool underwear. Add socks, glove liners, and a stocking cap you can wear to bed and you have a mobile bag liner (better use of weight/function).
    In addition to the long johns I would bring a lightly insulated synthetic jacket or a fleece top with a windproof "windshirt" to layer over it. I'm a big proponent of using synthetic outer garments until it gets extremely cold, then I'll switch to down. Fleece pants are nice, too, but get them tight and without too many features to keep the weight down.
    If you're not a cold sleeper, you should be fine as long as you keep everything dry.

Be sure to bring good rain gear. If you're going across open terrain or above tree line in the rain, bring a good rain parka (could be as cheap as Frogg Toggs or Driducks, $20-30. Sept. weather is usually great, but be prepared for extended cold rain

I also hope to hike the AT section of Vermont starting in a few weeks. (Dang, it's almost September already!?)

I'll be using my 30 degree MontBell bag and likely a silk liner and my OR advanced bivy for emergency camping and extra warmth if needed. Since there are few good tenting sites along the LT or at shelters, the bivy sack has the advantage over a tent in that it can be used in a shelter.

Days are likely to be reasonably warm and pleasent (unless its raining) but evenings a bit on the chilly side, so some warm clothes are a must, hat, gloves, long johns, warm jacket, etc.

Hurricane season seems to be off to a late start this year, so lets hope no reminents make it way up here like the last time I did VT in the fall! 24 hours of tropical down pours aren't fun to hike through! We've had enough rain this year!
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

AT 4000+, LT, FHT, ALT Blissful's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

I loved my silk liner. No problems for me at all.

You might get a tad cold in 32 degree bag. Bring some long underwear too. And make sure you have a good pad beneath you. A tent also adds warmth.

Hiking Blog
    AT NOBO and SOBO, LT, FHT, ALT
    Shenandoah NP Ridgerunner, Author, Speaker

LT '79; AT '73-'14 in sections; Donating Member Kerosene's Avatar
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Slo-go'en
    Hurricane season seems to be off to a late start this year, so lets hope no reminents make it way up here like the last time I did VT in the fall! 24 hours of tropical down pours aren't fun to hike through! We've had enough rain this year!
    I got caught in the remants of a hurricane in early August 1976, enduring 14" of rain while hiking 14 miles NOBO from Kid Gore LT, resulting in a pulled Achilles tendon trying to pull my boot out of a deep mud puddle. That rain was C-O-L-D, and my old Boy Scout poncho didn't keep me all that warm or dry.
    GA←↕→ME: 1973 to 2014

I'm in the process of convincing myself to thruhike the Long Trail next month. I've already section hiked it from end to end, but it would give me an excuse to be out a week longer than usual (I took 2 weeks off to hike Georgia and about the same amount of time to do the Hundred Mile Wilderness and climb Katahdin).
    I wouldn't mind some company (just not too much ).
    Last edited by Tinker; 08-13-2009 at 22:52. Reason: added phrase
    As I live, declares the Lord God, I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that the wicked turn back from his way and live. Ezekiel 33:11

Okay how does this sound for clothes?

Patagonia Capilene 3 long underwear
    Patagonia Capilene 3 long-sleeve base layer
    2 Polyester T-shirts
    Patagonia Capilene Pullover
    Marmot Precip Jacket
    Marmot Precip Rain pants
    REI zipoff pants
    Nylon Shorts
    Underarmour Boxers
    2 coolmax hiking socks
    TNF Merino wool hat