WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    The perpetual thru-hiker!
    Images

The only problem I run into with condensation is when I'm in one of my tents that is too short for me and my bag rubs against the ends of the tent. I'm about 6'2" and with a sleeping bag that's about 6'6". I always leave a lot of ventilation by keeping the door unzipped about 1/2 way open and that helps. The small amount of moisture that I do get on the ends of my down bags usually drys out soon enough.

Images

When I slept in the shelter on Tray mountain on a foggy rainy night and my bag got damp enough that it lost a little loft and I didn't feel as warm. If your tent is humid enough to have condenstation your bag will be slightly damp, too. So on any dry morning you should air your unzipped bag for as long as you can before you stuff it away.

I would say, for three season camping, it's a non-issue. Especially with the shell materials that are being used nowadays, which keep out the worst of the water.
    Don't take anything I say seriously... I certainly don't.

My fiance bought a Sierra Designs Down bag for her 1st bag. We were so excited that we went out that very night car camping!! Even though it was the middle of summer and way to hot for her bag (its a 15* bag). We have a Kelty Grand Mesa 2 tent. The night was very still and the humidity was high. When we woke up in the morning her bag was a little wet.....It had dampened the bag just a little, and it freaked us out!!
    This is how we learned of condensation....I hadnt noticed it until then.
    That night we had the fly on and there was no air blowing to help with circulation.
    Now we just bring a bandana or a pack towel and wipe the tent down and we will let the bag air out when we get a chance.
    I am going to get a TT Rainshadow 2 eventually and I will be wondering about the condensation issues with it, we will see.....

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++