WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Spanky MEPA '02, MEGA '08 spanky's Avatar

Thumbs up A Debt of Gratitude for Spouses Supporting Hikers!

The several times I have hiked the A.T., I have come to really appreciate the willingness of my wife to support me every step of the way. This forum has made several remarks about marriage breakups but not so much about spouses working together to help the hiker finish!

Well, here's one for my wife and all those spouses out there, who patiently let us guys (or gals) fulfill their dreams of hiking the A.T.

Thanks Elaine.

Do not forget friends and family who support their hikers!
    Go confidently in the direction of your dreams
    Thoreau

2010 complete

I'm not a thru hiker, but I have only 140 miles left. I owe a debt of gratitude to my husband that has either stayed at home with the children or spent his summer vacations supporting me in the Whites and the ruggedness of Me including the wilderness. It's not his goal, but mine and yet he's trudging up South Kinsman, Liberty and more , or climbing WildCat in a horrendous storm picking me up out of mud puddles, sleeping on the gound, smelling like a pole cat ........... I think the last two summers has made our marriage stronger. One more year, and we can put it behind us unless he commits me first. Thank you Danny!

2010 complete

I do wonder about the multiple thrus, though. As a hiker and a spouse, I could understand the first, maybe even the second if the first attempt botched, but definately not the third. That's a 4-6 month break each time. Maybe even an affair of a different "nature".

Garlic
    Images

My wife (GreasePot, AT02, PCT04) and I have each supported the other on thru hikes. I agree--it's a wonderful gift you can give someone. The last several years I've been doing more solo hiking, and her support of me is my yearly Christmas and birthday presents. Thanks, GreasePot!
    "Throw a loaf of bread and a pound of tea in an old sack and jump over the back fence." John Muir on expedition planning

My husband is currently supporting me during my second AT Thruhike. I know it has been difficult and very lonely for him while I am on an adventure meeting wonderful and interesting people every day. Though it is his sacrifice that gets me out of my tent and on the trail early in the morning. Only 577 miles until I come home.

++ New Posts ++