WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default What size tent is too big?

My wife and I will be doing a thru hike in the future and are trying to get our gear straightened out before then. We want to take a tent (mainly for the privacy for her).

Anyways, we have an REI Half Dome 2 which is OK, but our sleeping bags do slightly touch the sides of the tent. We have not had a lot of problems with condensation, but when it occurs, the sleeping bags do soak up some of that moisture.

We spent many hours setting up other 2 person tents and could not find any to alleviate this problem (in the same weight range of 5.75 lbs fully packed). Can anyone recommend a 2 person? We tried the REI Half Dome, Camp Dome, and Cirque. Also the Hubba Hubba.

We did find some 3 persons tents in the same weight range with larger floor dimensions (about 90 x 70 inches). Would we have a problem finding places to put this larger tent up on the AT? If so, what would be the largest dimensions we should look at.

Other suggestions are appreciated as well. Yes, we do like hammocks, but the tent seems like a better choice to us for a 2 person thru.

I don't think you should worry about the dimensions in terms of finding places to set up. Plenty of space out there. Weight will be more of an issue.

So you know, I often recommend that people go up one size, paricularly if they want to have a lot of their stuff in the tent with them rather than leaving it outside. Manufacturers seem to have a habit of labeling a tent 2-person if it's just barely possible to squeeze two people into it with no room for anything else.
    Drab as a Fool, as aloof as a Bard!

http://www.wizardsofthepct.com

For a 3-person I like the Big Agnes Copper Spur 3, which is roomy and pretty light, but expensive. If you like your REI tent they have the Hoodoo 3 on sale, but it's heavy. A better choice might be the Quarter Dome T3, which price and weight-wise are in between the other two mentioned.

My son and I use a Kelty Gunnison 3.1 and we love it. We both fit in with all our gear. I sleep near one door he sleeps near the other door and both our back sit between us. Plus it has two vestibules too.

J

Images

The REI Hoodoo 3 features 91" length which should solve your problem, has great reviews and is on sale right now at a great price:

http://www.rei.com/product/761889

Oh no, that's twice in one week I've agreed with Jester. Am I starting to think like him? Shiver me timbers!

Images

Da bomb for space vs weight Tarptent Hogback http://www.tarptent.com/productsheets/HOGBACK.pdf

Four pounds for not a three, but a four person tent. You will see very glowing reviews on WB of other Tarptent products.

The other tent I like in the Big Agens SL, comes in 1, 2 and 3 person versions. The 3 person http://www.rei.com/product/734067 is a bit pricey but it weights in at 4 lbs.

Two things:

Foremost, if you already have a tent that not too heavy, then why not at least start with what you have. There are ample outfitters along the way if you want something else. (And this same advise applies to most of your gear.)

Second, when buying a backpacking tent, one of my primary concerns is weight. So, I would look at weight vs square feet.

Quote Originally Posted by Summit View Post
    The REI Hoodoo 3 features 91" length which should solve your problem, has great reviews and is on sale right now at a great price:

http://www.rei.com/product/761889

Oh no, that's twice in one week I've agreed with Jester. Am I starting to think like him? Shiver me timbers!
    It's also 74" across, which is great, but weight is a bit high. But a good tent nonetheless, I think.

As for the other thing, as my evil plans begin to come to fruition you'll all start thinking like me, at which point I will stop thinking that way.

Images

Like most backpacking gear, it's all personal. Y'all just have to decide what's for you.

If it were me in your shoes, I think I'd start with looking at the REI T3 and see if anything beats it in our minds. We have a T2 and really like it, but then it might get cramped on a thru-hike.

RainMan

[I]ye shall not pollute the land wherein ye are: ... Defile not therefore the land which ye shall inhabit....[/I]. Numbers 35

[url]www.MeetUp.com/NashvilleBackpacker[/url]

Registered User lazy river road's Avatar

Go for the aeros 3P by Marmot me and my girlfriend have it and love it

Garlic
    Images

Another vote for Tarptent products. With some of them, you'll get privacy and extra space. My wife and I loved ours on our thru hikes.
    "Throw a loaf of bread and a pound of tea in an old sack and jump over the back fence." John Muir on expedition planning

Images

I carry a Big Agnes SL3 when hiking with my wife.

She likes the space and doesn't mind the weight since I carry it.
    The trail was here before we arrived, and it will still be here when we are gone...enjoy it now, and preserve it for others that come after us

The Kelty Gunnison 3.1 is a very good tent but if you want lighter weight and better ventilation you may want to checkout the MSR Mutha Hubba. The T3 is also a very good tent.

geek

Images

The Tarptent Rainshadow II is a three person tarptent that weighs 2.5 pounds. The Six Moons Designs Lunar Duo is a humongous two person tarptent that also weighs 2.5 pounds. Either would be great for a husband and wife thru-hike. (We own both. Love 'em.)
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

Journal Entries
    Images

Well this might be easier than you think! Take the weight & divide by two and you carry the poles and the bottom and the other carries the stakes and tarp.

If you snore as bad as my loved one then its two (single) seperate tents 50 feet apart.
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

Images

I own a Half dome 2 and it is plenty big for two. My wife and I used it on a HF to Damascus section hike, but it has since been replaced by a TarpTent Double Rainbow which weighs less than half as much and is only slightly smaller. I am much happier with the Tarptent for long distance hiking, and the REI tent is now mostly used for car camping and as a loaner when I manage to get friends to go hiking.

Please don't take this the wrong way, but if you, your wife, and all your stuff doesn't fit in that REI tent, then you have too much stuff for a thru. To carry a three person tent for two people simply doesn't make sense, and will only allow more stuff to creep in as you will have room for it.

Also, a little condensation touching your sleeping bag will do little to no harm and is insignificant compared to multiple days of nonstop rain that gets your stuff wet on the AT.

Hope my advice is helpful.

http://www.sixmoondesigns.com/shop/s...1&cat=Shelters

Check these out. I don't own one but they look like very thoughtfully designed shelters.
    One thing to consider: The fewer poles a tent has, the lighter it will be, BUT the more poles a tent has (and the more times they cross), the stronger it will be in wind and snow. The Lunar Duo looks like a very strong contender if it's big enough for the two of you.
    As I live, declares the Lord God, I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that the wicked turn back from his way and live. Ezekiel 33:11

Is it raining yet?
    Images

Anything more then you absolutely need.......
    Be Prepared

Images

I've recently came across a golite shangri la 3. Never had a better tent for the weight and space. Expensive but worth it. Leave out the nest and take the floor and you've got a very light tent and loads of room. I'm lucky I picked mine up for the cheap price I did.

Images

Ideally, you should be able to find your headlamp in pitch dark with your back teeth floating in less than fifteen seconds.
    Skids

Insanity: Asking about inseams over and over again and expecting different results.
    Albert Einstein, (attributed)

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++