WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Is there a best short section for just a taste?

If a person just wanted to get an idea of life on the trail and had only two weeks what section would you recommend and when?. Specifically from which shelter to another as example. Nothing too hard, nothing too easy. A little town life. Fellow hikers. Something that typified your jouney as a thru hiker. Just a little taste! Where and when would it be?
    If WHAT YOU BELIEVE makes a difference then IT MAKES A DIFFERENCE what you believe.

I-40 to Damascus
    Cabin Fever
    You need God—to hope, to care, to love, to live.

Thanks Cabin. This would be good to end on trail days wouldn't it? 225.1 miles can be made in 14 days in this terrain?
    If WHAT YOU BELIEVE makes a difference then IT MAKES A DIFFERENCE what you believe.

Quote Originally Posted by Cabin Fever View Post
    I-40 to Damascus
    i second that but i also think going from Watuga dam thru Damascus to Balsa mountain just beacuse the ponies are so cool to see and I also liked the white mountain
    GRAVY

Quote Originally Posted by inti View Post
    If a person just wanted to get an idea of life on the trail and had only two weeks what section would you recommend and when?. Specifically from which shelter to another as example. Nothing too hard, nothing too easy. A little town life. Fellow hikers. Something that typified your jouney as a thru hiker. Just a little taste! Where and when would it be?
    Let's see - not too hard leaves out Maine, most of New Hampshire, the Nantahala NF in North Carolina and probably most of Georgia since it's all up-and-down. Not too easy leaves out Snickers Gap, VA through Greenwood Lake, NY (keeping in mind Pennsylvania east of the Susquehanna can either be viewed as too hard because of the rocks or too easy because of the straight ridges).

Assuming you hike 12-13 miles per day for 2 weeks and want some town time, I'm looking at about 170 miles. Here are some options.
    1. Davenport Gap to Watauga Artificial Lake/Rt. 321 - at 184 miles, a modification of Cabin Fever's suggestion. Perhaps you can you on to Damascus at this point since those last 40 miles from Rt. 321 are fairly easy - even I did 18-20 mile days on that stretch.
    2. Damascus to Pearisburg - 163 miles. Great section with Grayson Highlands in the beginning and Chestnut Knob in the middle. Only down side is that the only true traditional trail towns are the 2 endpoints. Atkins (Groseclose) on I-81 is a place for shower and resupply via maildrops but not a great town nor is Bland further on.
    3. Rockfish Gap to Harpers Ferry - only 160 miles but take your time through Shenandoah NP. If you have time at the end, continue on to PenMar or Waynesboro, PA (thus making it a Waynesboro-to-Waynesboro hike)
    4. Bear Mountain, NY to Dalton, MA - 166 miles. If you have more time, continue on over Greylock to North Adams/Rt 2 for a total of 190 miles.
    5. A SOBO alternative: Rt. 4/Sherburne Pass, VT to Great Barrington, MA - either 170 or 180 miles depending whether you exit at Rt. 23 or Rt. 7. Although you're starting up the Killington massif, it's not a difficult ascent at all from Rt. 4.
    Of course there are other combinations possible as well but these should give you food for thought.

Ah I see you also asked when. I'd recommend the middle 2 weeks in May for all but the last one. And you can't go wrong with any part of September through mid-October for all of them.

Thanks Cooker, I really need just get a short taste to see how much more work and to test gear for my Thru hike. This helps a lot!

Standing Bear to Watauga Lake

Thank you as well gravy!

Images

Quote Originally Posted by gravy4601 View Post
    i second that but i also think going from Watuga dam thru Damascus to Balsa mountain just beacuse the ponies are so cool to see and I also liked the white mountain

For a taste..town and hiker life... the lake into Damascus would be a good one especially if you timed it to coincide with Trail Days.
    The mountains have just greened up, the wildflowers are everywhere, the weather (could) be nice enough to enjoy, there'd be plenty of hikers to get to know and ask question of, the ponies have just given birth and Damascus Rocks...especially during Trail Days.
    "Going to the woods is going home" - John Muir

"Only by going alone in silence, without baggage, can one truely get into the heart of the wilderness" - John Muir

I plan to be at Trail days this year. My daughter is expecting but should deliver before then. So maybe we can have a beer together and celebrate my first grandchild!

Quote Originally Posted by inti View Post
    I plan to be at Trail days this year. My daughter is expecting but should deliver before then. So maybe we can have a beer together and celebrate my first grandchild!
    I know alot of this crew wont be hard to find

Grayson Highlands in the Spring- pick a direction.

++ New Posts ++