WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Images

Have fun. Free is indeed good. Hope the weather is decent.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Panzer1 View Post
    I emailed them my application and about 10 minutes later they emailed me back my permit. You print out that permit and display it on your vehicle. I got the camp site I requested within about 2 miles or so of the AT. I got from Sunday thru Thursday. That was fast and easy.

Also, they gave me permision for a camp fire although there is a general ban in effect from Oct 1 thru Dec 1. There is a box checked on my permit that says "camp fire is permitted". I guess because of all the rain lately.

Panzer
    Good for you!

I'm planning on getting out this weekend myself - on the AT in the rain for Saturday/Sunday - but not near the Pinnacle, so I guess that we won't be bumping into each other. Have fun.
    Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass - it's about learning how to dance in the rain!

there are some sweet spots along the rattling run creek, but they're not motorized...

Images

Default Port Clinton track of the Weiser State Forest

Attachment 7248The Port clinton track of the Weiser State Forest has 4 personal camp sites and a one group campsite. I was the only camper there this week. The sites are about a quarter to a half mile or more apart. Its a pretty remote area. Site #4 I thought was the best located. All the sites had new 8 foot long picnic tables and fire rings. My fire ring still had the original black paint on it until I lit my campfire. The sites themselves are leveled and covered with fine gravel. Site #4 is large enough for 2 or 3 small tents. The other sites were a little bigger.

There was plenty of fire wood in the area and I was able to gather enough for 2 days in about 15 minutes or so.

There is state game lands nearby so there will be hunters going up and down the road. And judging by the road traffic I think there may be some "parking" going on at the far end of the gravel road by the fire tower. In 4 days I saw the ranger or whoever he was drive by once and wave to me but didn't stop.

The gravel road is well maintained but very steep in some parts so I would not recommend it if there is snow or ice on the road.

Panzer

Images

Attachment 7248The Port clinton track of the Weiser State Forest has 4 personal camp sites and a one group campsite. I was the only camper there this week. The sites are about a quarter to a half mile or more apart. Its a pretty remote area. Site #4 I thought was the best located. All the sites had new 8 foot long picnic tables and fire rings. My fire ring still had the original black paint on it until I lit my campfire. The sites themselves are leveled and covered with fine gravel. Site #4 is large enough for 2 or 3 small tents. The other sites were a little bigger.

There is state game lands nearby so there will be hunters going up and down the road. And judging by the road traffic I think there may be some "parking" going on at the far end of the gravel road by the fire tower. In 4 days I saw the ranger or whoever he was drive by once and wave to me but didn't stop.

The gravel road is well maintained but very steep in some parts so I would not recommend it if there is snow or ice on the road.

Panzer
    Uh, yeah, in the wintertime, after one or two snowstorms (or an ice storm), that road is impassable...it goes up the north slope and doesn't get much sun. I'm curious: are these sites to the left or the right when you come to the "T" intersection at the top?
    Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass - it's about learning how to dance in the rain!

Images

Quote Originally Posted by shelterbuilder View Post
    I'm curious: are these sites to the left or the right when you come to the "T" intersection at the top?
    They are on the Right side of the gravel road.

Panzer

Images

Why pay for camping in a crowed state park when you can camp here for free. They are nice camp sites close (2 miles) to the AT.

panzer

Journal Entries
    Images

Why pay for camping in a crowed state park when you can camp here for free. They are nice camp sites close (2 miles) to the AT.

panzer
    Answer - What is Electricity & clean SHOWERS. I will take $200 for camping Alex...

Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

Images

Well I wasn't able to take a shower but I did wash up with a bucket of heated water every day. I felt like I was keeping clean enough for a 4 day trip.

Panzer

Journal Entries
    Images

That's ok I too stayed at a Holiday Inn once......

I now perform tricks for Barnum & Baily's...

Images

Well I wasn't able to take a shower but I did wash up with a bucket of heated water every day. I felt like I was keeping clean enough for a 4 day trip.

Panzer
    You'll have to spend some of your hard-earned money to buy one of those propane-powered hot shower units!

Journal Entries
    Images

that or a five gallon cold bucket & irish spring....oooohhhh! chilly!
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Wise Old Owl View Post
    that or a five gallon cold bucket & irish spring....oooohhhh! chilly!
    Sorry, I'm too wimpy to wash with cold water.
    Panzer

Journal Entries
    Images

I havent tried it but I just picked up a solar shower at EMS... I hear some of us are using alcohol stoves to dump two hot cups into the bag and shake....

Woo

Based on your report...I have decided to camp up at the same place you went Panzer. I am wondering what the pinnacle trail is like. My hiking partner and I are relatively new to backpacking are the trails near there friendly to newbies and what the AT is like near the Wieser State Forest. Thanks.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++