WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

Thread: $$$$$$$

Images

A 5 month hike equals 150 days or so. take the 150 days and multiply it by 20.00$ for each day and there is your 3000$$$. it seems to me you can get that 20.00$ a day lower if you really try. i have never thru hiked so i can not speak from experience on real long distances. on my shorter hikes its real easy to beat 20.00$ per day..

Garlic
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by bigcranky View Post
    Remember the advice to never go to the grocery store when you're hungry? Hah -- just try that on the trail. I was always hungry, and my shopping cart -- and my restaurant tab -- reflected that.
    Hah, that's very true. But I also found out that the converse is true. You don't want to buy trail groceries right after getting out of the AYCE buffet and topping it off with a half gallon of ice cream. You might not buy enough!
    "Throw a loaf of bread and a pound of tea in an old sack and jump over the back fence." John Muir on expedition planning

See you at Springer, Winter 09' Chance09's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Tarlin View Post
    So sorry, for most folks, reserving $250.00 for hostels and motels for an entire thru-hike just won't cut it.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying one can't hike on the limited budget that Chance has described. What I'm saying is that most them won't want to, and in many cases, won't be able to.
    my math may be a little off on what i paid here and there but either way the total was still the same.
    I think that I may have been a little less picky about lodging this year with all the rain we had. I wasn't necessarily looking for comfort, mostly just a roof and some warmth.
    AT - Georgia to Maine '09
    PCT - Mexico to Canada '10
    CDT - Canada to Mexico '11

Registered User Different Socks's Avatar
    Images

After food and equipment, I probably spent about $1500.00 on the AT back in 1992.
    In 1996, I did the PCT thru all of CA for only $1000.00, after food and equipment.
    I just saw on another website, a few guys were saying that they spent from $3000---5000.00 hiking the CDT!! One guy even said he couldn't walk out of a restaurant w/o spending a min of $20--25.00. What are these people doing when they come into towns?

Quote Originally Posted by Different Socks View Post
    After food and equipment, I probably spent about $1500.00 on the AT back in 1992.
    In 1996, I did the PCT thru all of CA for only $1000.00, after food and equipment.
    I just saw on another website, a few guys were saying that they spent from $3000---5000.00 hiking the CDT!! One guy even said he couldn't walk out of a restaurant w/o spending a min of $20--25.00. What are these people doing when they come into towns?
    Maybe they spent a little more than you, but I'd be willing to bet that it would cost you AT LEAST double if you hiked those same trails today. Prices particularly for food (both trail food and restaurants) have gone up considerably. You'd be starving if you tried to do a thru with the same amount of money you used 13 or 17 years ago.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Tarlin View Post
    Actually I have gotten 2,000 miles or better out of several pairs of shoes, tho I don't choose to wear that style anymore, as they're hot and heavy.

But it certainly is possible to thru-hike in one pair of boots, tho it sure doesn't happen very often.
    I took a durable heavy duty pair of Asolo's all the way from GA to the Kennebec before I had to replace them, couldn't take them any further. I agree, it's possible to get the whole way with one pair, but it's pretty tough to do, and impossible to plan for.

Garlic
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Different Socks View Post
    If a restaurant on the CDT isn't in a pricey resort area, you're there in the height of tourist season when the businesses have to make their profit for the whole year (except for hunting season). I could usually get out of a restaurant for $15, but I don't drink booze, coffee, or eat dessert (at restaurant prices). My hiking partner (with no budget worries, lucky guy) would always spend at least $25, including two pieces of pie ala mode at $4 a pop, but still no booze. So it's pretty easy to spend the budget on food. In PCT terms, picture South Lake Tahoe, as compared to Mojave, say.

And much of the West is seeing an oil boom. Every motel room in Wyoming is taken by rig workers and prices are sky high. No AT-style hostels and cheap motels, and no hiker specials where there are only a few hikers a year and most residents don't even know there's a long trail there. That affects restaurant and grocery prices, too. Everyone is trying to cash in, and you can't blame them.
    "Throw a loaf of bread and a pound of tea in an old sack and jump over the back fence." John Muir on expedition planning

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4
++ New Posts ++