WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Formerly "Totem"
    Images

Default Anybody have any Audiobook recommendations?

I bring my Cell Phone on all my trips. To keep myself entertained, lately I've been reading books but since I've got my phone, I've been going Audiobook and will listen to 3hrs or so every night (about 1/3rd the book)

Assume that I have the ability to convert CDs into MP3s for my phone (I do...)

What Audiobooks would you recommend?
    up over the hills, theres nothing to fear
    theres a pub across the way with whisky and beer
    its a lengthy journey on the way up to the top
    but it ain't so bad if you have a great big bottle o'scotch

Section Hiking Knucklehead Hooch's Avatar
    Images

A Brief History of Time by Stephen Hawking
    Transforming the Mind by His Holiness the Dalai Lama
    Dirty Jokes and Beer by Drew Carey
    "If you play a Nicleback song backwards, you'll hear messages from the devil. Even worse, if you play it forward, you'll hear Nickleback." - Dave Grohl

Formerly "Totem"
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Hooch View Post
    A Brief History of Time by Stephen Hawking
    I read the hardcover (among other hawking books) when I was 15 years old or so (when I was smart!) Blew my mind.

Would be interesting hearing it again now that I've got AP Calculus and AP Physics under my belt.
    up over the hills, theres nothing to fear
    theres a pub across the way with whisky and beer
    its a lengthy journey on the way up to the top
    but it ain't so bad if you have a great big bottle o'scotch

People like Krakauer's Into Thin Air, and Into the Wild, which are available as audiobooks. I listened to Apsley Cherry Garrard's Worst Journey in the World (arctic trip), which was interesting but looooong. I listened to a book about George Mallory, called Paths of Glory, which I found interesting. I've even listened to A Walk in the Woods on audiobook. There're lots of interesting audiobooks out there. I enjoy setting up camp on the shore of Lake Superior (it's nearby), and then sitting on the beach watching the waves and listening to someone read to me... .

Beth

Hiker Trash - Safety Squad! JokerJersey's Avatar
    Images

If you're into fantasy, Robert Jordan's The Wheel of Time series could keep you going for a LONG time. If you're interested, I have the entire series kicking around here somewhere on one of my portable hard drives and will try to figure out a way to get it to you.
    Pyro - Bringin' the heat! '11 Safety Tribe firestarter

2011 - Springer to Pearisburg

Hiker Trash - Safety Squad! JokerJersey's Avatar
    Images

Check out www.audiobookvault.com

The format isn't the best for trying to find something, but they are all free to download. The topics range all over the place, so you're sure to find something you like, if you're patient enough to look.
    Pyro - Bringin' the heat! '11 Safety Tribe firestarter

2011 - Springer to Pearisburg

http://www.archive.org/details/audio_bookspoetry

this is all free stuff. enough for the rest of your life.

here's another link for free stuff

http://podiobooks.com/index.php
    Last edited by mark schofield; 11-17-2009 at 09:38. Reason: add to post

Bill Bryson's "A Short History of Nearly Everything".

Bill Bryson "A walk in the woods" has a great giggle factor to listen to while hiking.
    Anything by Janet Evanovich in the Stephanie plum series 10 hours a book and her stuff is both funny and a mystery. Most libraries have "digital" checkout now that you can download audiobooks directly to your computer or other media.

I download from my library directly to my ipod when I hike. the download is good for 4 days, but can stay on the computer or ipod indefininately.
    Gads...the smell....nope, it's not Bearpaw...just another skunk checking out the camp.

Quote Originally Posted by JokerJersey View Post
    Check out www.audiobookvault.com

The format isn't the best for trying to find something, but they are all free to download. The topics range all over the place, so you're sure to find something you like, if you're patient enough to look.

If it's a concern to you, I'm pretty sure that these downloads aren't exactly legal.

I'm not familiar with smartphones or how mp3's get stored on them, but...

In lieu of playing with audio books on CDs, take a look at audible.com . Again, I don't know about getting such files into a smartphone but just paging through audible's offerings is fun.

And if ya' can move mp3's into a smartphone you might want to take a look at the many podcasts or websites that provide free stories, some narrated some dramatized. These days I'm into SciFI and old time radio. All of the stuff has been (legally and ethically) free.

FB
    "All persons are born free and have certain inalienable rights. They include the right to a clean and healthful environment..."

Article II, Section 3
    The Constitution of the State of Montana

Images

Both are good audio book sources. Completely legal.

http://librivox.org/

http://www.gutenberg.org/wiki/Main_Page

ed

Images

Though I'm not a big fiction fan, I do find John Grisham novels to be good time-passers while driving. Don't demand a lot of mental attention, but make the time pass. A little more cerebral are the historical biographys. I've enjoyed John Adams' and Ben Franklin's. Also "1776" was very interesting.

Default audiobooks

libirvox.net

Images

Lord of the Rings trilogy,
    The Bourne trilogy,
    Atlas Shrugged,
    Robot series by Asimov,
    most of Heinlein's stuff,
    The Rumpole series
    This Sceptred Isle(BBC series on the history of Britain)
    Alvin Maker series by Orson Scott Card
    Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card
    ESV Listener's Bible by Max McClean
    Neal Stephenson's Baroque Cycle series
    Tai-Pan, Shogun, and Gai-Jin by James Clavell
    Lonesome Dove
    Complete Sherlock Holmes
    Bob Lee Swagger series

That's a start. I drive a lot of miles for work and it would suck without audiobooks.
    Skids

Insanity: Asking about inseams over and over again and expecting different results.
    Albert Einstein, (attributed)

Images

A Perfect Storm
    Contact
    .....Someday, like many others who joined WB in the early years, I may dry up and dissapear....

Try listening to Into Thin Air or Born to Run.

Oh, I love audiobooks. My Ipod is full of them! Good source of downloads and reasonable membership is Audible.com. You can DVD's from recordedbooks.com.

If you love medical or forensic mysteries, anything by Kathy Reichs is great.

Diane Gabaldon's Outlander books are fantastic for historical romance...set in Scotland and then the NC mountains later on. Not just for women either...my husband has really enjoyed listening to them also. There are 7 of them now about 30-40 hours long...very good stuff.

Sci Fi...Lucifer's Hammer by Larry Niven...kind of an end of the world survivalist book when a comet hits the earth...it was quite well done.

Prodigal Summer by Barbara Kingsolver...set in the Southern Appalachian mountains...very good for us nature lovers.

Ken Follet's Pillars of the Earth set in Medieval England...and a sequel World Without End. Both were very good.

One Second After...another Sci fi survivalist type of book that will scare your socks off as it's way too close to possible. Basically a terrorist EMP attack on the US leaving us without power, coms, or transportation...anarchy follows, etc...

Anything written & read by Neil Gaiman. The Graveyard Book and Stardust (quite different from the movie!) were my 2 personal favorites.

Images

don't know if it's on audiobook or not but Anatoli Boukreev's account of the 1995 disaster on Everest is a worthwhile read if you enjoyed krakauer's. "The Climb"

agreed w/ skids on the LOTR and Bourne trilogy
    " It's what people know about themselves inside that makes 'em afraid." ~Clint Eastwood, High Plains Drifter

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++