WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: cowboy camping

Images

Is cowboy camping the same as bivy sac camping ?-Tipi Walter

I'd say it's the same cause your still exposed to the elements.
    Getting lost is a way to find yourself.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by chknfngrs View Post
    You can't cowboy camp in a hammock.
    Actually you can do something more comfortable--set up the hammock without the rain fly, or with the rain fly furled into a small roll. Raindrops hit you on the face and wake you up, hop up and deploy the rain fly.
    If not NOW, then WHEN?

ME>GA 2006
    http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?trailname=3277

Instagram hiking photos: five.leafed.clover

Images

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Blissful View Post
    My hubby and son love to cowboy camp. Enjoy.
    Same here. I remember a night my wife and I cowboy camped on Rich Mountain, just out of Hot Springs, NC on a fall Saturday night. She fell blissfully asleep. I was lying there, listening to my Tigers kick some Seminole butt on the radio, and realizing I was watching shooting stars cross the Milky Way. Couldn't get much better.

Ahhhhhhhh.

Now, forced to cowboy camp on Standing Indian Mountain one night in the clouds and wind was a different story. Burrrrrrrr.

RainMan

[I]ye shall not pollute the land wherein ye are: ... Defile not therefore the land which ye shall inhabit....[/I]. Numbers 35

[url]www.MeetUp.com/NashvilleBackpacker[/url]

Cowboy camping with the cows? I slept with cows but had a tent.

I don't know how many times I bedrolled it under a tree by a church or in a town cemetary by a tombstone(I remember the guy's dates: 1854-1952) Bedroll camping is great for stealth camping when you can't set up a tent, and then you can throw the tent fly over you in the rain. Works moderately well.

Backyard camping and deck camping when visiting friends are also ways to cowboy camp, just throw down the ground cloth, thermy and bag and have at it. Quick and no muss, no fuss. It gets a little tough in -5F but then I had two bags for bulk and warmth, and the winter wind just blew over me.

Images

i love cowboy camping, did it a lot in my '01 hike.

one night while cowboy camping on blackrock cliffs in SNP, a rat emerged from the rocks and stole our socks in the middle of the night. few things leave you feeling more confused about what to do than watching your socks disappear down a rocky slope in the middle of the night.
    "The spirit of resistance to government is so valuable on certain occasions, that I wish it always to be kept alive." -TJ

I had the pleasure one night in the Catskills of being the only brave soul to sleep under the stars atop Giant Ledge, and was rewarded with a dozen or se Perseids meteors!

Images

I've been less comfortable with cowboy camping ever since a mountain lion kept coming back all night to a boulder about 15 feet from me.

Well you can hide in a tent (bear fortune cookie), hang from the trees (bear pinata), sleep in a bivy (bear burrito), or just tarp it (can't think of a nick name for this one). I picked bear burrito for next summer, at least I will see what's coming.

As for cow boy camping, nothing like falling asleep out on a dock or swimmer's raft. The waves will lull you right to sleep and you can hear the loons across the water.

"Under most conditions, the best roof for your bedroom is the sky" Colin Fletcher, The Complete Walker.. Followed by three pages of just why.
    "It's fun to have fun, but you have to know how." ---Dr. Seuss

Sounds like fun, but there are too many ticks around me. So wouldnt try it unless I was somewhere that doesnt have em.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++