WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Registered User lazy river road's Avatar

Default Apendicitis/Emergencies on the Trail

So I am planning my first long distance hike on the LT this summer and something just happened to me that kinda freaked me out about going. I still plan on going but would like some advice. Long story short, this past Friday at work we had a Chinese food buffet. I ate and felt ok. After about an hr or so after eating I started having pretty bad stomach pains which I chalked up as gas pains. Went on my usual business drove home did not feel so great did not eat dinner that night and went to bed feeling pretty awful. Woke up Saturday morning in tears, almost passed out, getting out of bed, my GF (the best GF in the world) helped me to her car and rushed me to the emergency room in tears. I was completely immobilized, could not lift my right leg more then a few inches off the ground, etc. etc. Wheeled me into the ER and they diagnosed me as having APENDICITIS ouch....it hurt...got me under the knife within an hr of being admitted...spent 4 days in the hospital and got home late last night. I am still felling pretty down but doing better. This really freaked me out about my hike this summer on the LT....I know you cant live life with a what if this happens or what if that happens attitude but WHAT DO YOU DO when your hiking on the trail by your self and something like this happens. Are their any good books or information out there on how to handle emergencies on the trail when hiking by your self. Of course take ever precaution, don’t do any thing stupid but what about the un-controllable like Appendicitis, or any number of things that could incapacitate a person on the trail. I know hiking has a lot of risk involved when going along but this incident really freaked me out. Has any thing like this happened to any one....stories...antidotes....precautions one can take....what if this would of happened on the trail…..I don’t want this experience to stop me from going on my hike but it made me realize that there is a lot more preparation involved then just buying gear (obv). So I am looking for stories, personal situations, best ways to handle emergencies… any good books….and what to do’s….I know there are a hundred and one different scenarios but looking for some guidance…thanks WB
    Half of the people can be part right all of the time,Some of the people can be all right part of the time. But all the people can't be all right all the time

Your post is Exhibit A of why you need to bring maps when you hike.

Plenty of other hikers on the AT that will help out in such a situation.

Images

like max patch said bring maps. But also if you are really worried bring a spot. IF that happened again were you were imobilised you would be forced to use the spot. Thats what i would use if that happened. IM planning on getting one so my parents arent worried this summer when i hike a state on the AT

Garlic
    Images

Your head is your most powerful tool in any situation. It's amazing what you can do when you don't panic and you think.

I witnessed a trail death by heart attack once. An old hiker, well into his eighties, collapsed and died immediately in a group I had joined for the day. Despite decades of emergency medical training and CPR experience in the group, there was nothing to be done and he stayed dead. It was, simply, his time to go. As we waited for evac, I reflected that this was absolutely the very best way the man could have died--on an outing on a perfect day with friends, after a long and fulfilling life. What could be better? I can only wish the same for myself.

Luck has a lot to do with safety anywhere, but I like the saying, "You make your own luck". Awareness goes a long way to staying safe. Learning about avalanche safety before heading out on backcountry skis is a good idea. A basic 8-hour Red Cross CPR course is a great idea, and a 32-hour First Responder couse is even better. Learning the limitations of your gear and insulation on trips of increasing difficulty and differing conditions is a great idea. Physical conditioning and overall good health may be the best prevention possible.
    "Throw a loaf of bread and a pound of tea in an old sack and jump over the back fence." John Muir on expedition planning

One Foot in Front of the Other WinterWarlock's Avatar

Not sure about in your particular area, but if you're as concerned as you sound, why not take a Wilderness First Aid course? I took one from Wilderness Medical Associates, and given that I am also a Scout leader, have been very glad that I did. Not that I've used much, but I'm much more confident with my knowledge in case I had to...
    It don't matter if I get a little tired
    I'll sleep when I'm dead - Warren Zevon

AT 4000+, LT, FHT, ALT Blissful's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

Bring maps and a cell phone.
    And agree that you should know first aid. And make sure you have a complete physical before starting out.

Hiking Blog
    AT NOBO and SOBO, LT, FHT, ALT
    Shenandoah NP Ridgerunner, Author, Speaker

I've thought a lot about this having done Search and Rescue for several years and then more recently (two months ago...), dealing with my own appendicitis.

I think that physical injuries are much larger of a worry. I've seen many people hauled off the trail with broken bones, torn ligaments, etc. I've only seen one person who had an organ failure (heart attack). I personally (and stupidly) went three days before going to the hospital and having my appendicitis diagnosed. Not to say that everyone would be so lucky, but there are very few things that will kill you instantly.

Hike with a group. Plan your trip (and stick to it) so if you fail to return people will know where to look for you. Lastly, you can get one of these: http://www.rei.com/product/766529

Wandering Vagabond
    Images

I've been an amateur radio operator for over 30 years and have heard a number of emergencies.

I carry a little 7 oz amateur radio that come in handy where I lose cell phone coverage.

Journal Entries
    Images

Well like me you will never have to worry about Apendicitis on the trail, horrible to go through and once its done. Glad its over.

It will keep you off the trail for a month - don't rush it.

Images

Going from the brief account of your problem, you had a number of hours between when you started to feel bad and when it got really serious. In other words, had you been on the AT, you could have either hiked yourself to the nearest trailhead (as others have said--if you don't have maps, you've made things a lot harder for yourself), or passed word with another hiker to send for help. If, like the guy Garlic was with, it's your time to go, well, you go. Probably he would have met the same fate had he stayed home watching TV.
    If not NOW, then WHEN?

ME>GA 2006
    http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?trailname=3277

Instagram hiking photos: five.leafed.clover

Well on the positive side, you won't have to worry about appendicitis! I helped three other hikers with emergencies on the trail this year. In each case a cell phone came in handy and is a good idea too carry. I'd check out Amazon and get a good basic first aid book, the wilderness stuff is good but really just a spin off of the basics.

I'm in the minority on carrying maps. I've never found them beneficial on the AT and could always find my way to a trailhead, road, or other landmark to summon help by just carrying the Thru-Hikers Handbook. So, my advice is if they make you comfortable, carry them.

I agree with garlic. Using your head is the most important thing. You can also take a first aid course at the Red Cross or other places.

You might also have a talk with your doctor and ask him for Rx for the more common things to happen such as giardia & other GI problems, and lyme disease. Someone with wilderness training is best. Make sure you understand what you have and when to take them.

Having a map to find the fastest way out is essential. In an emergency you need to get off of the trail fast.

If I am going to go the back country is a good spot. If the kids want the inheritance they can haul the body out.

Journal Entries
    Images

score - you won't have appendicitis ever again!

i don't know what you do if you're 20 miles from anywhere. probably had NOTHING to do with what you ate that day. although i bet you won't be eating at the buffet anytime soon...just out of pain-associations.

good luck on your next hike - and your next trip to a chinese dinner.
    …speak to the earth, and it shall teach thee… –JOB 12:8

Quote Originally Posted by garlic08 View Post
    Your head is your most powerful tool in any situation. It's amazing what you can do when you don't panic and you think.
    garlic,
    Probably the wisest statement that I have ever read on WB! So good, so true.

Take a first aid course, say calm and realize that you had a bout of appendicitis 1 time in 30 years. Odds are with you that hiking will he safe for quite a few years. If you worry about "what if?" then never leave the house...what if the house catches fire!!!!
    GO HIKE!

geek

aka -OvertheEdge- :)
    Shippensburg, Pennsylvania, United States
    Images

DON'T PANIC !!
    I was bitten by a rattle snake When I lived on the Mojave. It took me three hours to get back to my truck and another hour just to get to the black top. By that time I started to get sick. I was really bad by the time I got home and started to the hospital. The point is I didn't freak. I knew what I needed to do and did it.
    On the AT I do not think you can go three hours with out running into someone. and we all take care of each other, right?
    Alcohol was involved!

I second the idea to get some travel meds from your doctor. I carried just enough vicodin to get myself out to civilization. Carried antibiotics for infection and giardia, too. Never used any of it.
    Some knew me as Piper, others as just Diane.
    I hiked the PCT: Mexico to Mt. Shasta, 2008. Santa Barbara to Canada, 2009.

EDUCATION is your best prevention! And if I were to reccomend a book, USARMY 21-76 SURVIVAL MANUAL. The best in emergency preparedness. Read and take to heart. Also Proper Prior Planning Prevents Piss Poor Performance!!! A military accornm that works!! Trust me from experience!!
    ZEUS307
    "Sleep well an night, safe and sound, knowing that there are Warriors willing to go into harms way, do violence, to protect your country and your way of life" U.S. ARMY RANGERS

Registered User lazy river road's Avatar

Great advice every one... I found a wilderness readyness/first aid class at an outdoors research facility that is open to the public like 15 min away from me that I am going to look into takeing.....Im gonna look up some and read some of those books that were also suggested.....I cant wait to get back out on the trail bc im starting to get a little stir crazy but this thread has kept me plenty busy with plenty of good reading
    Half of the people can be part right all of the time,Some of the people can be all right part of the time. But all the people can't be all right all the time

I Gotta Get out of Here!! Foyt20's Avatar
    Images

Don't worry, you don't have an appendix any more No worries about appendicitis.

I have a prescription steroid that I have to take daily. If I need it I can just take extra to get me out of the woods. That is the plan anyway.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++