WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Images

Default Patching a dry sack

I have a sea to summit ultra sil dry sack and while it was in my basement a mouse chewed through in one spot the size of a half dollar. I was wonder what the best way to patch the hole would be duct tape doesn't seem to stick well. I thought about tyvek tape but wasn't sure what the best ring would be.

Duct tape is the obvious, simple, and economical answer to this question. Not sure why it's not working for you. Try using two pieces, one on the inside and one on the outside, of equal size. That always works for me when critters put holes in my dry sacks.

From the Sea to Summit website:

How do I repair a hole in a Lightweight Dry Sack / Big River Dry Bag / Ultra-Sil Dry Sack?

Sea to Summit doesn't market a repair kit, because we use several different types of fabric in our dry sacks and stuff sacks, and there isn't one adhesive which will work on all of them. All of our dry sacks can be repaired using a product called McNett Seam Grip (available at all good outdoor and hardware stores). This will work on holes up to about 3/4" across or tears up to about 1 1/2" long. The technique varies slightly for Ultra-Sil Dry Sacks - see the asterisk * below. Clean both sides of the fabric around the hole with isopropyl alcohol Stick a piece of masking tape on the outside of the dry sack Turn the dry sack inside out Drop a blob of Seam Grip on the hole on the inside of the fabric; make sure that the Seam Grip overlaps the hole by about half an inch Do not let any other part of the Dry Sack touch the Seam Grip until it dries - it will stick and will not be removable Allow the Seam Grip to dry: 12 - 24 hours (you may want to dust the repair with climbing chalk or talcum powder before you pack the sack away to avoid the repair sticking to the remaining fabric) Turn the Dry Sack right sides out and peel off the masking tape. If the hole is large enough to warrant a second application, drop a blob of Seam Grip on the outside of the sack over the damaged section, again overlapping by half an inch. Allow to dry for 12 - 24 hours ensuring that nothing else comes into contact with the Seam Grip while it is drying
    * Seam Grip will not stick to the outside of the Ultra-Sil fabric; therefore you can skip this last step.

GA-ME 2011
    Images

I use Tenacious Tape on the inside along with silicone on the outside for the syl-nylon UL sacks.
    "Chainsaw" GA-ME 2011

Quote Originally Posted by Don H View Post
    I use Tenacious Tape on the inside along with silicone on the outside for the syl-nylon UL sacks.
    I used a product similar to that on my 100 oz Platypus waterbladder, but not sure what it was, all I know it was from a tent repair kit, but like that tape http://www.mcnett.com/Tenacious-Tape...Tape-P139.aspx it was clear and super adhesive.

I punctured it back in 2007 and used that tape and it's still holding today -- absolutely no leaks -- and I use everytime I go running.

Try a Silnylon patch inside and out set in sil-net or similar sealer.

Mcnett Aqua seal is good stuff, but I just had it peal off one type of sil, but it stuck to another.
    May or may not work.
    Nasty to work with though as its urethane.

++ New Posts ++