WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Cost of Long Trail E2E?

Hey,

I'm hoping to do a Long Trail E2E this summer and am starting to think about how much money I should/can set aside for it. There have been MANY threads about this for thru-hiking the AT, but none that I found about the Long Trail.

Now I know this will depend A LOT on how long it takes, how much time-money you spend in towns, etc (just like on the AT).

So maybe a better question would be; if you've hiked the Long Trail E2E how much did you spend?

Total costs for recent hikes (last 5 years or so) would be especially informative. I already have all the gear I'll need, so the costs I'm mostly interested in are for consumables, hostels/inns, restaurants, etc. Just looking for a ballpark figure here...

Hmm, it was relatively insignificant, so I didn't specifically track all the expenses. I was doing it while on vacation (and was still receiving paychecks) and it was much less than my normal monthly expenses. But, if I had to take a guesstimate, it would be around $350 for food, consumables, motels, laundry, and restaurants.

But...I only stayed off trail 3 nights during the trip (2 were at the same place), I was traveling with my dad, I didn't have any resupply mailing expenses since my mom volunteered to meet us each week, and I didn't have any transportation expenses for the same reason. So, this could vary a lot.

Registered User lazy river road's Avatar

Ive thought about this a lot, I am hikeing the LT this summer as well. Not including transportation, I am going to plan on having $500 in the bank and would like to come home with $100. I plan to stay in town 2 or 3 nights, and at one pay shelter, I am going to mail my self 1 mabey 2 boxes and do 2 or 3 re supply in town at stores. This is a long awaited vacation so I plan on enjoying my self but not being completly friveless with money.
    Half of the people can be part right all of the time,Some of the people can be all right part of the time. But all the people can't be all right all the time

Images

I am planning 350-400$. i am going to do it htis summer. I am only spending 1 night it town i think and a couple of pay shelters.

It takes the average hiker about 4 weeks to E2E the LT. Strong hikers can do it in 3. Lodging will be the biggest expense and will varry with the time of year. It can be very expensive during leaf peeper season. Doing it in the summer months of July and August, I'd say maybe $500 and somewhat more in the fall. It all kind of depends on how often you get off the trail to resupply, where you do that, where you stay for a night off the trail and what resturants you eat at, so its difficult to put a hard number on it.

Be aware a lot of lodging shuts down after ski season and don't open up again until late June. The Inn at the Long Trail is one of those places. No one in thier right mind goes to Vermont during that time.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Quote Originally Posted by Slo-go'en View Post
    It takes the average hiker about 4 weeks to E2E the LT. Strong hikers can do it in 3. Lodging will be the biggest expense and will varry with the time of year. It can be very expensive during leaf peeper season. Doing it in the summer months of July and August, I'd say maybe $500 and somewhat more in the fall. It all kind of depends on how often you get off the trail to resupply, where you do that, where you stay for a night off the trail and what resturants you eat at, so its difficult to put a hard number on it.

Be aware a lot of lodging shuts down after ski season and don't open up again until late June. The Inn at the Long Trail is one of those places. No one in thier right mind goes to Vermont during that time.
    Why do you say "no one in their right mind goes to Vermont during that time". I plan on doing my hike in late June through July. I know the black flies but ill just have to battle um. Im a teacher so thats my summer vacation. Any other reasons that I should know about? Also from what I understand, you are telling me that the Inn at The Long Trail is closed in late June through July, that would be a bummer . O, well it wont stop me from hikeing
    Half of the people can be part right all of the time,Some of the people can be all right part of the time. But all the people can't be all right all the time

Images

how long does everyone think that they are going to take to hike it? i know that this varies person to person, but if you've already done it, how long did it take and also how many miles on average do you think you hiked?

28-30 days apx

Quote Originally Posted by lazy river road View Post
    Why do you say "no one in their right mind goes to Vermont during that time". I plan on doing my hike in late June through July. I know the black flies but ill just have to battle um. Im a teacher so thats my summer vacation. Any other reasons that I should know about? Also from what I understand, you are telling me that the Inn at The Long Trail is closed in late June through July, that would be a bummer . O, well it wont stop me from hikeing
    Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe the Inn at the Long Trail reopens late June.

You should be fine in late June, but usually in late April or May, there is a period of "mud season" as all the snow melts. When it is and how bad it is varies from year to year, but most of the residents tend to take their vacations during that time. Hiking during the heavily muddy times is less than fun and damages the trail more than normal.

Quote Originally Posted by srestrepo View Post
    how long does everyone think that they are going to take to hike it? i know that this varies person to person, but if you've already done it, how long did it take and also how many miles on average do you think you hiked?
    It took me 27 days counting 1 zero day and I never felt "rushed". The southern third was easier than the northern section, but the north wasn't as difficult as I had been fearing (at least after getting into the groove; SOBO might be different). I hiked it in September.

Nice, the Inn was one of the things I was looking forward to staying at along the way. I dont plan on getting to the in before the second week in July so I should be good.

Images

I can't accurately say because a) I hiked it over 2 years and b) I had connections in Burlington at the time, so I hopped off there for a couple of nights. I did not pay for lodging either year.

Sorry if this is kind of vanilla, but you can really spend as little or as much as you want on that trail. There are plenty of pleasant 100dollar/night B and B's, but it is also completely possible to not sleep inside or stick to the couple cheap places/hostels.

Places like Manchester, Johnson and Jonesville make for easy on and offs without a night stay. I do recommend checking out Richmond-it's probably one of the best quintesential Vermont towns without being stuffy or touristy.

If I were to do it again I'd probably budget about 200 bucks for groceries, 75 bucks for town meals and another 100+ in case of an emergency/a night indoors for weather/injury.

Have fun
    Anything's within walking distance if you've got the time.
    GA-ME 03, LT 04/06, PCT 07'

Images

Default LT costs

Completed an end to end hike about four years ago. Did it in 23 days, including a couple of nearos. On trail costs are pretty minimal. Only stayed at a hotel once (Inn at the Long Trail, which I highly recommend.). Don't think I spent more than $300, excluding travel costs (took the train/bus to Mass. and Apple Farm shuttle from the northern terminus)

you can camp for free right across the road from the Inn at the long trail.
    more money for food and drink!

The Inn reopens June 17 -- http://www.availabilityonline.com/av...Look+at+All=Go -- so you should be fine

Enjoy your hike!

Why do you say "no one in their right mind goes to Vermont during that time". I plan on doing my hike in late June through July.
    You should be fine with that. I was speaking of mud and black fly season which starts when the snow starts to melt in mid April and black fly season which tappers off in late June - usually. Of course every year is different. Tourist season doesn't really start in Vermont until after July 4th, so a lot of places shut down in the spring and only reopen in late June.

I did a SOBO E2E once in the month of June. The first half was cold, wet and muddy, the second half was insane with black flies and still pleanty of mud left over. It was easier to deal with the cold and rain then the black flies later on.

Starting in late June, it is still a good idea to have a head net and maybe even a bug bivy to keep you sane.

Personally, now that I'm older and wiser, I only hike in Vermont in the late summer and fall. Same goes for NH and Maine.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Thx Slo-go'en, Yeah I have a bug head net, And im sleeping in a Warbonnet Black Bird so ill have plenty of bug protection. Im hopeing the black flies leave early this season and the mud dries up quickly, Id be happy if I spent $400 (or even less). Me and my GF are doing a week of B&D's after I finish my hike so that will be my relaxing time.

Im hopeing the black flies leave early this season and the mud dries up quickly...
    Even if the flies go, the mud never does.

Images

I was told this year was worse than normal but even at the end of July the mud was still intense and unavoidable. I agree at the inn unless you really are dying for a room set up across the street you can still use the pub and do laundry for a fee.
    Often Accused, Often Guilty but Seldom Guilty of What I am Accused.

I lived in the Rutland area of Vermont for almost 12 years. The saying was " Vermont has 3 seasons, 2 weeks of summer, 2 months of Mud season, and Winter."
    In my experience, after mid June, the blackflies are much less a worry. Then again, I must not taste good as when everyone else is getting swarmed with blackflies/mosquitos I am pretty much bug free so not sure about you good tasting people.

++ New Posts ++