WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast
    Images

I have several stoves and each one has its place

A Coleman 2 burber propane stove I used when I was car camping with the kids

A canister stove for my wife and me.

An alcohol stove if its just me.

I like my steaks passed over the fire one time and rare.
    Hammock Hanger by choice

Warbonnet BlackBird 1.7 dbl

www.neusioktrail.org

Bears love people, they say we taste just like chicken.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Jester2000 View Post
    We are there to have sex in public without getting arrested.
    DAGNABBIT!!!!! Why am I always the last to know these things!!????!!!

I've used the same alky stove since 2003. Made it myself and that's most of the reason I love it. Never had anything I couldn't cook. Use heavy duty Reynolds Wrap aluminum foil for a wind screen. Same one for the last four years. I carry my fuel in a plastic whiskey flask with a one ounce jigger on top. Never waste any fuel. I have my boil time down to a science and know just how to adjust the amount of fuel for the volume of / and temperature of water. Alky stoves rock. I carry a couple of esbits too. If I run out of fuel, flip the alky stove over and it's an esbit stove. Let's see your pocket rocket do that....
    Last edited by Lilred; 01-26-2010 at 21:33.
    "It was on the first of May, in the year 1769, that I resigned my domestic happiness for a time, and left my family and peaceable habitation on the Yadkin River, in North Carolina, to wander through the wilderness of America." - Daniel Boone

Parsimonious curmudgeon Slack-jawed Trog's Avatar
    Images

Hey now, Rooster!

I think my Whisperlite and I just celebrated our 25th Anniversary, and I love it as much as the day I brought it home from EMS. It's heavy, sorta, but the fuel bottle is the fuel tank and I like that feature.

Lately, I've been playing with alcohol stoves, too. Just to boil, say coffee for instance. When b-packing with the Scouts, the crew uses one stove to prepare the one-pot meals, so no room or time to make coffee in the morning...need coffee... While the ol' reliable (Whisperlite) is outstanding, it's just a little too big and heavy to carry for this simple task.
    I've played with the Super Cat, and LOVE it's simplicity but it doesn't work too well in the cold. While it made my soup just fine in the sleet during deer season, it doesn't work too well below about 30º. OTOH, I have made a pot* of coffee on 1.5 oz of HEET in 22º F weather with a UniCan style stove (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KzGJzUxnwCM). (*That's in a coffee pot with the guts; it perks! No I won't bring the coffee pot b-packing but that's more than enough stove for making a grease pot full of cowboy coffee-it works for me.) Best of all, I made the stove for nothing; ok, it cost me a nickle for the deposit on the can...can't beat that with two sticks.

YMMV,
    Slack-jawed Troglodyte

Quote Originally Posted by Rooster View Post
    I posted that for the people out there who do the AT as basically their first Backpacking trip of any kind. They exist. Telling them to own six stoves isn't helpful.
    Why? The only way a person learns skills is to try new things out. Too often you see hikers who use the same gear for freaking 15 years because they have never ventured out of their comfort zone.

If they are going to go and thru hike for 5 to 6 months it is in their best interest to play with gear for a couple months before hand. This doesn't mean they need go buy it - but they should be researching options, down at stores checking it out, having friends show them their gear, etc. Then they get a well rounded idea of what is out there - and not just what was on REI or Walmarts shelves, pushed on them by a sales person.

Because that is why we see newbies who have never hiked before hit a couple hundred miles in and either quit or have to buy an entire new setup of gear....when they find out that nothing works for them well and carrying 45 to 60 lbs sucks and blows. This hits first time hikers all the time...but is much worse when it is a newbie who elects to hike a couple thousand miles instead of working up to it
    Trail Cooking/FBC, Recipes, Gear and Beyond:
    Trail Cooking

Default Yikes!

Quote Originally Posted by moytoy View Post
    There three things that should never be discussed in public. Religion, politics and ul stoves.....;}
    Now if somebody asks about water filters vs. Aqua Mira we'll have a real party!!!!!

pass me another one over here........

Quote Originally Posted by Spokes View Post
    Now if somebody asks about water filters vs. Aqua Mira we'll have a real party!!!!!
    then we'll have four things?
    KK4VKZ -SOTA-SUMMITS ON THE AIR-
    SUPPORT LNT

i use my old MSR whisperlite...now there's a misnomer if I ever heard one it's not quiet nor is it what most would call light. However it always works and with some real careful knob work (stop it now) I can even simmer most of the time.

All of that being said I do tinker with alky stoves and that is the appeal of them for me. I'm sure that is a big draw to many of the alky converts as well.
    Take almost nothing I say seriously--if it seems to make no sense what so ever it's probably meant as a joke....but do treat your water!

I've started to make a foray into freezer bag cooking and for my purposes an alcohol stove (simple cat can stove) works great. As others have indicated, there is NO PERFECT STOVE. Each one has its advantages and disadvantages.

While "not everyone loves denatured alcohol stoves", this guy does. Great for my applications. On the other hand, I see how they aren't for everyone.

Quote Originally Posted by Jofish View Post
    I've started to make a foray into freezer bag cooking and for my purposes an alcohol stove (simple cat can stove) works great. As others have indicated, there is NO PERFECT STOVE. Each one has its advantages and disadvantages.

While "not everyone loves denatured alcohol stoves", this guy does. Great for my applications. On the other hand, I see how they aren't for everyone.
    Go Fancee Feast!!!

Images

I would just like people out there trying to research stoves for a long distance hike that not everyone loves denatured alcohol stoves. The people who write on this site are mostly people with very strong opinions that want to speak their mind. I hiked the entire AT in '08 and met a number of people who regretted their choice of the denatured alcohol stove..... yada yada yada.....
    Yeah but you could take this back 15 years ago and substitute Whisperlight, go back another 10 years and substitute Primus or Phenix or Svea....
    People complain to have something to talk about.
    .....Someday, like many others who joined WB in the early years, I may dry up and dissapear....

I posted that for the people out there who do the AT as basically their first Backpacking trip of any kind. They exist. Telling them to own six stoves isn't helpful. Telling them they are stupid if they can't use a denatured alcohol stove isn't helpful. Try to remember this is a source of knowledge for the initiated as well as for a public forum for experienced hikers to bicker. Canister stoves and and white gas stoves are easy. Someone trying to deal with all of the issues involved in adapting to a thru-hike doesn't need an extra headache. Canister stoves work too, but I prefer the white gas stove. I just thought the many voices in support of denatured alcohol could use some balancing out.
    Quote Originally Posted by Skidsteer View Post
    I agree with you. White gas and canister stoves are easy. Same for Alcohol, esbit, and wood stoves. I own and have used them all at various times.

I think they're easy. You think they're easy.

That being said, you know what this site could use? A couple articles on white gas stoves, like, "How to light a white gas stove: and "How to clean a white gas stove" 'cause every year and I mean every year, I end up showing someone how to light their stove or taking somebody's stove apart on the trail to get it working or just plain cooking their food for them cause their stove was toasted or 'cause their canister is empty and they don't know how that could've happened 'cause the guy at the store told them it would cook 12 meals no problem.

On the other hand, I have yet to meet anyone on the trail that can't set fire to denatured alcohol by themselves. A few set fire to themselves but that's a different discussion.

i am so confused. how is a white gas stove easier to operate than an alcohol stove? i pour alcohol in my alcohol stove, light it, then set my pot on it. i cuss and bang and stomp trying to attach my whisperlight to my canister hose thingie. and after that, i get to play that mountain man game from the price is right with the valve and always end up having fuel come gushing over the plate regardless. then you get to try to blow your hand off by lighting it, all the while holding the bottle at an angle or rearranging the perfect rock because the stupid fuel hose has never relaxed in 20 years. which one is easier again?

I would just like people out there trying to research stoves for a long distance hike that not everyone loves denatured alcohol stoves. The people who write on this site are mostly people with very strong opinions that want to speak their mind. I hiked the entire AT in '08 and met a number of people who regretted their choice of the denatured alcohol stove. The stoves are great for boiling a cup or two of water but they take a while to get the hang of the correct amount to use and you will waste a good bit of fuel before you get it right. You will run through your fuel faster than with white gas. Also, wind effects them more than other types of stoves and reduces their effectiveness. If you only anticipate need a cup of water or two at a time and don't intend to simmer anything it is fine, but I like a little variety in my dinners and some of my dinners required a little simmering. I used a simmerlite and I know it loses badlyon the weight battle but I never had any trouble with it the entire time and I thought the extra weight was worth it. I'm not going to get into an argument with people who want to discredit everything I just said, but please know that there are drawbacks to denatured alcohol stoves.
    There are 70 replies to this thread so I thought I would share about -.02 cents worth of comments

The two things I get tired of seeing people write on these boards:

#1 - You don't need to carry a water filter just use Aqua Mira
    #2 - Alcohol stoves are cheap, light and will never fail you.

We like alky stoves for short one or two day trips, but longer and we prefer our canister or White Gas stoves depending on temps. We'll be carrying canister stoves on our thru hike as we have for all our LD trips over the past 4-5 years. They give you a wider variety of cooking oiptions, you can see the flame in daylight, and can be assured of never having alcohol leak into your pack

Water treatment is the same. Sure you can kill viruses, bacteria, etc with either a filter or Aqua Mira. But you can't beat a filter for fresh taste. If you're a Camelback user, you can't beat a filter for refilling it on the go.

Experienced hikers need to quit telling people to do this and that. Instead.. MAKE SUGGESTIONS. And then suggest they try things out to see which they might prefer. Many of us are glad to take our filters at 12 ounces for a variety of reasons. Just because YOU dont use a filter, or, didn't use a filter on your thru hike doesn't mean your's is the only solution to use.

Same on the stoves. SUGGEST. Not everyone has the skill to make their own, and there are so many people "making" stoves that a newer person to the trail cannot always be assured he is getting something safe.

So in the spirit of the OP... SUGGEST rather then tell.

Quote Originally Posted by Mrs Baggins View Post
    Alcohol stoves are only popular with the cool crowd. Like homemade gear. You're not a "real" hiker unless you use a stove made from a cat food can.
    i agree. they're just a fad.

Garlic
    Images
    "Throw a loaf of bread and a pound of tea in an old sack and jump over the back fence." John Muir on expedition planning

Quote Originally Posted by Mrs Baggins View Post
    Alcohol stoves are only popular with the cool crowd. Like homemade gear. You're not a "real" hiker unless you use a stove made from a cat food can.

I only consider it a REAL alcohol stove it is made out of beer cans instead of soda cans and you use an old Jim Bean bottle for a fuel container.
    Love people and use things; never the reverse.

Mt. Katahdin would be a lot quicker to climb if its darn access trail didn't start all the way down in Georgia.

Quote Originally Posted by Skidsteer View Post
    Uhh. Minnesota Smith used an alcohol stove. Made from a cat food can.

Next.

yeah, but i understand he only did that for a while, and didn't like the taste of the cat food....

Images

Not enough cuttlefish.
    Me no care, me here free beer. Tap keg, please?

Quote Originally Posted by JustaTouron View Post
    I only consider it a REAL alcohol stove it is made out of beer cans instead of soda cans and you use an old Jim Bean bottle for a fuel container.
    Agree with this but would like to note that to save weight (and for safety) the plastic travel Jim Beam bottle is acceptable.
    Drab as a Fool, as aloof as a Bard!

http://www.wizardsofthepct.com

Registered User Dances with Mice's Avatar
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Wolf View Post
    i agree. they're just a fad.
    Yeah, like that whole internet thing. It won't last long.
    You never turned around to see the frowns
    On the jugglers and the clowns
    When they all did tricks for you.

NOBO toBennington, VT plus 187 mi in MH & ME
    Images

Skidsteer said
    "Uhh. Minnesota Smith used an alcohol stove. Made from a cat food can."

Now I'm confused!!??
    Is that a vote for or against alcohol stoves? Minnesota Smith seems to have slipped into disfavor around these parts.

I say "love the one you're with."

It's always a battle between walking and camping. If only you could get mail drops at the shelter with overnight delivery. Eh?
    Grinder
    AT hiker : It's the journey, not the destination

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast
++ New Posts ++