WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Tarlin View Post
    Spirit Walker beat me to it.....in addition to the wise advice from so many people telling you to rest up and heal (i.e. do NOT leave for Georgia in a week!), keep in mind that there's about to be a tremendous storm in the Southeast. This will make for tougher hiking for folks who AREN'T nursing a bum leg, plus if the weather is really awful, you won't be travelling much anyway, so if you're gonna be holed up and not moving for several days in Neel Gap, Helen, or Hiawassee or wherever, you may as well spend this down time at home. The Trail isn't going anywhere. I'd wait at least 2-3 weeks and start out at the end of the month or early March.
    Besides Digger, if you wait, I might actually get to see you. (As you go whizzing by...) There's pretty much no way I'll catch up to you if you leave before me, even on a lame ankle! Hope you feel better,

-ShLep
    2010 AT NoBo Thru "attempt" (guess 1,700 miles didn't quite get me all the way through ;) )
    Various adventures in Siberia 2016
    Adventures past and present!
    (and maybe 2018 PCT NoBo)

AT 4000+, LT, FHT, ALT Blissful's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

It depends on the grade of your sprain. I strongly suggest you give it time to heal. The trail is not going anywhere. But if you reinjure it (which can definitely happen, esp if you haven't even begun the hike), it could spell the end of your hike altogether. I sprained mine on the trail in MA and had to wait nearly 3 weeks. Be patient, ice it, do the ankle strengthening exercises to strengthen it, when you can walk up steep inclines without pain with your pack, you are ready to go.

Hiking Blog
    AT NOBO and SOBO, LT, FHT, ALT
    Shenandoah NP Ridgerunner, Author, Speaker

If a sprain doesn't show any improvment in a week it becomes time to get it looked out to see if it might actually be a fracture.

Give it time to heal, the trail ain't going anywhere...it will still be in the same location in a month from now...maybe with a bit less snow and ice.
    Love people and use things; never the reverse.

Mt. Katahdin would be a lot quicker to climb if its darn access trail didn't start all the way down in Georgia.

AT 4000+, LT, FHT, ALT Blissful's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by JustaTouron View Post
    I
    ...it will still be in the same location in a month from now...maybe with a bit less snow and ice.

Best advice ever and maybe a blessing in disguise...

Hiking Blog
    AT NOBO and SOBO, LT, FHT, ALT
    Shenandoah NP Ridgerunner, Author, Speaker

Images

If you have to hold off then I think you should get out near the end of Feb to test it out and see who it's coming along. There are stairs at the Doyle and you can test out how you do on them at the Winter Warmer.
    Often Accused, Often Guilty but Seldom Guilty of What I am Accused.

Quote Originally Posted by Buckeye Hike View Post
    Rest
    Ice
    Compression
    Elevation......

Here's another one:

Pain is
    Temporary
    Glory is
    Forever
    Evil Knieval said that.

Do it ! Go. Take it slow and easy.
    Go see a podiatrist, not some stooge GP, and get him to show you how to properly wrap your foot/ankle.
    If you don't do it right your knee will take over the load and you'll fry it too.

Journal Entries

I love all the advice.

I must emphasize that I cannot put off the hike till
    Later, it's simply a matter of I have to be done by summer. Work is calling.

I won't see a doctor, because they will tell me I have a torn ligament or something and
    Tell me I need three months rest or something. Won't happen.

I have an extreme high pain threshold so the fact this bothers me, is a bit scary. The fact that it is not improving Is bad. I will try many more of these avenues of healing.

Dgaf's mom can massage it?! Terriffic.

And yea Sasquatch I wish I got that picture too!

I'd recommend pushing the start back a couple of weeks. I've hiked on a stress fracture, sprained ankles, tendonitis, and a number of other maladies. It's possible, but not that fun. And with conditions the way they're expected to be, the chances of further injury -- you're favoring that leg, causing an imbalance, leading to a fall -- are greater.

But I wouldn't wait too long. You can hike on an injury -- if injuries automatically ejected people from the trail the success rate would be something like 1%.

You need to have a bit of tolerance for pain, which I have.

And you need to be as dumb as me.
    Drab as a Fool, as aloof as a Bard!

http://www.wizardsofthepct.com

Just saw your new post. Give it a week if you can. And if you know any coaches or trainers, they'll also be able to show you how to properly wrap an ankle.

If not, here's a link:

http://emedicine.medscape.com/article/86495-overview

The alternating of the strips is the important part. I also like the fact that they refer to it as "prophylactic ankle wrapping." Heh heh heh.
    Drab as a Fool, as aloof as a Bard!

http://www.wizardsofthepct.com

read Awol on the Appalachian Trail... he hiked the north half of the AT during his 2003 thru hike using an air-cast on one ankle after a serious ankle sprain on rocks in Maryland

Images

I hope it gets better for you before you head out. If it's any consolation my knee is still hurting from our hike that week. Try to start slow, I know you probably won't, but at least try to. Are you sure you hurt it falling or was it working the brake/gas pedals on that big ass truck??? Good luck!!

Quote Originally Posted by burger View Post
    Bones are easy--you just have to give them time to heal. Tendons can be much more fickle. That's why bad sprains sometimes take months to heal completely and sometimes never quite heal 100%. My advice would be to put off your hike for as long as necessary to get better. Even if you feel better before you go, you could easily have a setback that ends your hike or makes it less fun than it should be.
    I second that. Personal experience with bad sprains.. don't push it..

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Jester2000 View Post
    ....You can hike on an injury -- if injuries automatically ejected people from the trail the success rate would be something like 1%.

You need to have a bit of tolerance for pain, which I have..
    Well, I pretty much agree with Jester, at least for this part of his most recent post. Those interested in less immedient concerns over such ideals, should read on. Not that I have a clue about what those may be.

Weary

Images

As mentioned: "RICE" as much as you can. I second the brace, but try to leave it off when you can; a brace may prevent further injury, but can also impede healing by making the body part think "all is well". Even after you heal (My last sprain was 25 years ago) you will need to pay attention to EVERY step: foot as flat as possibly, weight centered, step, repeat on the other foot. I will, and do (if moderately safe to do so), fall to avoid twisting either ankle again.
    The first section of the AT is fairly easy with a good well worn tread-way & ample camping sites. If I was starting with an ankle like yours, I would take 2 days to get to Hawk Mt (Then Justus creek, Gooch Mt, etc.). You will still get mileage, but maybe save your overall hike.

I would, even if I felt fine, plan on a day of RICE at Neel's Gap.

Over cautious? You bet!! But, would you rather start slow & take a day off early on, or re-injure yourself?
    Curse you Perry the Platypus!

Images

I suggest large amounts of Wild Turkey to help keep everything loose!
    Often Accused, Often Guilty but Seldom Guilty of What I am Accused.

Images

Foot and ankle injuries always take a lot of time to heal.

Panzer

Carry a few extra days worth of food...if you get into a situation where you simply can't make anymore forward motion you'll be glad you did.

I bet it would be possible for you to finish your hike. But my guess is that it wouldn't be that enjoyable.

I sprained my ankle really bad once and it took 4 months for me to be able to walk without pain. And that was just walking around (not climbing mountains) and without a pack on my back. I honestly would rather break my leg than go through that again.

Journal Entries

I was able to go downstairs today without using the railing for the first time yet today.

Things are looking up

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
++ New Posts ++