WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Thread: Hilleberg Akto?

Default Hilleberg Akto?

I've had this tent for quite some time now, mainly recreational usage, and I have fallen in love with it. However, I was wondering whether or not to bring this on the AT? It is on the somewhat heavier side, 3 pounds 5 ounces, everything included. But this thing is bomb proof, it's four seasons, I could camp at the bottom of the ocean with it and stay dry! So, I know it is mainly about preference, but should I carry a little extra weight for more protection?

Images

It is a personal choice, My Stephenson is 4 season as well and with seam sealing and stakes I am in the same weight range as you, I plan to carry it on my Thru-Hike next year, Will be using it this weekend for the first time.
    I'll admit that I have considered buying a lighter tent like the LightHeart Solo for my Thru but I don't know if I will want to spend the money since my tent cost quite a few bucks and I already have it. Even the lightest tent set up is probably close to 2 pounds with everything included anyway.
    Tough decision.
    Good Luck.

Quote Originally Posted by cyanroleman View Post
    I've had this tent for quite some time now, mainly recreational usage, and I have fallen in love with it. However, I was wondering whether or not to bring this on the AT? It is on the somewhat heavier side, 3 pounds 5 ounces, everything included. But this thing is bomb proof, it's four seasons, I could camp at the bottom of the ocean with it and stay dry! So, I know it is mainly about preference, but should I carry a little extra weight for more protection?
    I was interested in that tent at one time and read many online reviews for it. From what I have learned about it, it is considered one of the most bombproof , lightest solo tents one could acquire. One of the reviewers stated that the Akto was the tent they used for their AT hike, hence their review of it. I think for it's weight, it really is not that bad as far as for a thru-hike. For what it offers, it can provide piece of mind when the weather turns nasty, especially if you were to plan on an early start of a thru-hike, say like late Feb., or early March. This tent would be great to have for then. Some of the drawbacks though, from what I have learned about it, would be the fact that for one thing, it is not freestanding. I don't think this would be a major factor along the majority of the A.T., however, but still might come into play at some point. Also something to consider is the fact that when it becomes wet, this is when it's weight will increase somewhat, and where a really light tent may/can be better. And finally, during the hot/humid summer months, I have heard the Akto simply does not breath well, and becomes uncomfortable. I am not sure, but I think the tent can be set up with just the inner part if one so chooses, and maybe this might alleviate some of the swelter during the very hot weather. This is when a mostly mesh tent would probably be the better choice. I know I read many positive reviews for the MSR Hubba, and I purchased it. It is a very roomy tent(long enough),as for a single hiker. It is quick to set up,free standing if one so chooses, plenty of mesh on the inner for the summer months, and all around in my opinion a decent choice for a thru-hike. One of the drawbacks to it is the fly falls just short of the bottem of the inner, and rain splash can occur into the tent in a bad downpour. But because of this, there is very good ventilation for the tent. Maybe if you have the funds and the ability, buy a summer tent, and start with the Akto for the colder months and the higher elevations at the beginning of the hike, and then switch it out for something lighter and more breathable.

And I just wanted to say, you aren't really specific about wether you are just going for a section hike or attempting to thru-hike, so you just may want to reiterate.

Images

Is that tent a bit heavier than some other possible choices? Well, yeah. But if I were you, I'd add up everything you plan to carry and see where you stand. Making one choice to go heavy won't kill you. If you make the same decision about the rest of your gear, you'll end up with a heavy pack. You can still hike just fine--and many people have done it before you--but you'll be slower. Your decision.

For instance, as I head out for Memorial Day weekend, I'll be bringing some things I wouldn't bring on a thru-hike because 1) I'm not planning to hike that far 2) This is a brief vacation, and should be fun 3) I want to have fun camping and partying.

Another consideration--if you start your hike with the tent you already have, and decide you want to go lighter, you can always replace it during your hike--and you should still have the money available since you didn't spend it before your hike.
    If not NOW, then WHEN?

ME>GA 2006
    http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?trailname=3277

Instagram hiking photos: five.leafed.clover

Since you already have it might not be a bad idea to take it, but during the middle of the summer when it is hot and humid you might think it is overkill. Before you decide, leave it up all night in the rain and pack it up wet and see how much it weighs. A couple of pounds makes a huge difference in your pack weight.

Images

A lot depends on what you AT hiking style is or becomes.

Do you use the shelters extensively? Then a heavy, bomb-proof shelter is way over kill. For the few times you will be using it, the extra protection isn't worth the extra weight/bulk to carry 100% of the time.

If you rarely use the shelters, then you may be able to justify the weight/bulk more logically.

For me personally, this type of tent is NOT worth the trade-offs. Especially not for a summer AT trip.

I want to use it on the thru hike, and I feel that I would rather sleep in my tent most of the time rather than a shelter. And on the heat note, I'm not too concerned about overheating because I'm in southern California where it never gets cold, and the only time when it is uncomfortable, is when the sun comes up and hits my tent. But then I should already be up anyways so it's like an alarm clock. But thanks for all the input, I'm most likely just gonna stick with it now!

I want to use it on the thru hike, and I feel that I would rather sleep in my tent most of the time rather than a shelter. And on the heat note, I'm not too concerned about overheating because I'm in southern California where it never gets cold, and the only time when it is uncomfortable, is when the sun comes up and hits my tent. But then I should already be up anyways so it's like an alarm clock. But thanks for all the input, I'm most likely just gonna stick with it now!
    Sounds like a great choice in a really well made tent. Just remember though, the A.T. is located on the high humidity east coast, so come summer time, there may/will be a big difference from that wonderful California(low humidity) weather. Good Luck

I have an Akto, too. I used it in Georgia in 2006. If I had intended to go all the way I would've switched to a hammock with bug netting for the warmer months. You might be interested in this:
    http://www.moontrail.com/hilleberg-akto-mesh-inner.php
    It will make your Akto much cooler in the dog days of summer. There is no escape from summer fog in the Appalachians. Saggy nylon and condensation are a cherished way of life for hometown hikers here .
    As I live, declares the Lord God, I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that the wicked turn back from his way and live. Ezekiel 33:11

Here's the closest thing I have to a trail journal:
    http://outdoors.webshots.com/album/548798178sXxbQh
    It has a few pics. of my Akto. More are in my gallery here.
    As I live, declares the Lord God, I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that the wicked turn back from his way and live. Ezekiel 33:11

Images

So, I know it is mainly about preference, but should I carry a little extra weight for more protection?
    Not if you still want your pack to weigh 15 pounds when you're on the trail.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by leaftye View Post
    Not if you still want your pack to weigh 15 pounds when you're on the trail.
    So 8-10oz over 15lbs will make his knees suddenly give out?

Quote Originally Posted by FamilyGuy View Post
    So 8-10oz over 15lbs will make his knees suddenly give out?
    You might think so given the "published" gear weights these days.

I'm often asked how much I carried into the Hundred Mile Wilderness and the truth is "I don't know". I weighed my pack somewhere along the process of packing it and it was around 28 lbs. Then I added a bunch more food. I figure it was about 35 or so. I didn't carry anything I didn't use and that's about as basic as it gets.

Quote Originally Posted by Tinker View Post
    I have an Akto, too. I used it in Georgia in 2006. If I had intended to go all the way I would've switched to a hammock with bug netting for the warmer months. You might be interested in this:
    http://www.moontrail.com/hilleberg-akto-mesh-inner.php
    It will make your Akto much cooler in the dog days of summer. There is no escape from summer fog in the Appalachians. Saggy nylon and condensation are a cherished way of life for hometown hikers here .
    This is a great thing to have if you own this tent and plan to use it during the hot/humid summer months. I think if you plan to hike the A.T. and plan to tent out almost exclusively, then having an Akto to me would be one of the best choices one could make in a solo tent. When the bad weather would arrive, this tent would really shine. And having this mesh inner for the summer months would make this particular tent much more viable to use for the complete duration of the hike.

13-45 Section Hiker Trash
    Images

I can't give you experience from a thru hiker perspective, but I have an Akto I have used for a few years. I use my Akto in the winter and during inclement weather. The rest of the time I use my Tarptents or MLD DuoMid. Personally I don't like using the Akto in the warmer months due to the lack of ventilation. Someone above posted that it can get hot in the tent, and I agree. You mention being from Southern Cal, but remember that it's very humid over here on the other coast. Even when it's not that warm out it feels hot and wet due to the humidity. I have also found that condensation is can be somewhat of an issue in the Akto when it's warmer out. Nonetheless, it's a great tent, so do whatever you feel is best. Maybe you can start your thru in it, and then send it home when it warms up and switch to something with better ventilation.

++ New Posts ++