WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Default Blind Man Sets Out to Hike Appalachian Trail - About - News & Issues (blog)

About - News & Issues (blog)

Blind Man Sets Out to Hike Appalachian Trail
    About - News & Issues (blog)
    Mike Hanson, of Minnesota, set out to hike the entire 2174-mile Appalachian Trail with only the help of a GPS system. What's incredible about this journey ...

More...

why will this trip cost $25,000?

I'm not gonna say it. . . .

Images

It says the GPS will keep him within 10 ft. of the trail and thats a little sketchy in some spots.

Quote Originally Posted by AUhiker90 View Post
    It says the GPS will keep him within 10 ft. of the trail and thats a little sketchy in some spots.
    2 feet is sketchy.

If he actually has NO sight, not just legally blind, getting to Neels would be amazing without someone being with him.
    Fear ridges that are depicted as flat lines on a profile map.

This is the same guy from a year or two ago but someone is going with him this time to film the whole thing. Supposedly the videographer is not going to help navigate. I just imagine so many spots where if you can't see much it is going to be almost impossible to get to the next rock. 90% of the time it will be fine but the other 10% will be a problem. How did the blind people who hiked it before do Mahooscu Notch, for instance, to take an obvious example, or even Dragon's Tooth? The videographer is going to have to help, GPS isn't going to be anything but a distraction in those situations. Can he do it? I still say not alone. Everyone has physical limitations. I would never try to swim across the Hudson River although I know people who could and they don't float nearly as well as I do!

Journal Entries

Default Blind guys on the AT

I've had the honor of meeting both blind thru-hikers ( I assume there have only been two). Zero-zero was talking about doing the PCT this year with some other blind hikers, but I don't know if they are still on. Whether this guy has a dog, a gps, a guide, other hikers, whatever, it's a hell of tremendous accomplishment and deserves the highest praise. When I felt like going home in '06, I would think of Bill Irwin and say "If he can do it, I can do it!".

I hiked a few days with Zero-zero and he was cool as hell. From this guy's promo video and ludicrous amounts of money he wants, this Mike Hanson guy just doesn't comes across as someone I would like to hike with.

Default Blind Hiker Tackles Appalachian Trail With Only His Wits and a GPS - Switched (blog)

Blind Hiker Tackles Appalachian Trail With Only His Wits and a GPS
    Switched (blog)
    by Terrence O'Brien â?? Mar 2nd 2010 at 7:20AM Hiking the Appalachian Trail is no small feat. Its 2174 miles of winding trail is steep, rocky, ...

More...

Default Interview w/Mike Hanson

I was lucky enough to interview Mike yesterday. see blog post @:
    http://backpackbasecamp.com/basecamp...175-Miles.aspx

Imagine the sounds and scents and feeling of the cold and wind and wet from the perspective of a blind hiker. Imagine being able to hike by day or by night, and feeling and smelling and hearing the difference, and the seasons. Definitely worth doing, and worth sharing with us, as much as he can put into words that we might understand.

extra-ordinary hiker Roughin' It's Avatar

nice interview.

In the youtube video, however, i couldn't help but laugh out loud when it showed the videographer doing some martial arts...

I'm rooting for him, although he'll obviously have to go really slowly.
    If he takes 8 months, let see, that's a November finish.
    Ooops, they close Mt K on Oct 15th!!!!

My other concern is that on a video I saw him pull his GPS out of his shirt pocket. That takes me back to the 1970's when everybody had those 110 cameras that fit in your shirt pocket. Only problem was that each time you bent down to get water from a spring, the unit fell out and splashed into the spring.

I still wish him luck. Spunk should be rewarded not discouraged.

Quote Originally Posted by RockDoc View Post
    Spunk should be rewarded not discouraged.
    I think the attempt is cool. I just think it is foolish to not have tackled a moderated section of the AT first as a test.

Unless he has some sight, or is assisted, he's not going to do well.

The GPS will be a failure. It simply is not accurate enough for his needs. The errors in the GPS and the cartographer that made the maps is too great.

Quote Originally Posted by ChinMusic View Post

The GPS will be a failure. It simply is not accurate enough for his needs.
    It is accurate enough for his needs. He is using it as a substitute for the white blazes, not to determine what rock to step on. That is the purpose of the white canes.

I doubt many thru hikers haved managed to complete the entire hike without once deviating more than 10 feet off the trail by accident. The GPS will keep him from wondering the path and down some blue blaze by accident. His wits will keep on the path.
    Love people and use things; never the reverse.

Mt. Katahdin would be a lot quicker to climb if its darn access trail didn't start all the way down in Georgia.

Images

Pennsylvannia. Good luck.

It amazes me how many folks here dont know that this has already been done..I forget the guys name, but the one who had the dog and did a book..Man, what is his name..

Anyway, it is possible...And if he had the support and the sponsers, there are some pretty acturate GPS units out there that cannot be found at REI...Anyway, I wish this guy all the luck and hope he has a journal..That would be inspiriational..

Graywolf
    "So what if theres a mountain, get over it!!!" - Graywolf, 2010

Quote Originally Posted by Graywolf View Post
    It amazes me how many folks here dont know that this has already been done..I forget the guys name, but the one who had the dog and did a book..Man, what is his name..

Anyway, it is possible...And if he had the support and the sponsers, there are some pretty acturate GPS units out there that cannot be found at REI...Anyway, I wish this guy all the luck and hope he has a journal..That would be inspiriational..

Graywolf
    I believe it has been done twice. Both with a guide dog.

What makes his a "first" is no guide dog.

Mt. Katahdin would be a lot quicker to climb if its darn access trail didn't start all the way down in Georgia.

Quote Originally Posted by JustaTouron View Post
    It is accurate enough for his needs. He is using it as a substitute for the white blazes, not to determine what rock to step on. That is the purpose of the white canes.

I doubt many thru hikers haved managed to complete the entire hike without once deviating more than 10 feet off the trail by accident. The GPS will keep him from wondering the path and down some blue blaze by accident. His wits will keep on the path.
    10 feet is not a big deal in many spots. 2 feet is a HUGE deal in others.

A GPS is worthless as a micro tool. A fancy GPS (more accurate) will offer no additional benefits from a standard GPS. A dog, human companion, or limited sight is required, IMO to hike the AT.

Again, IMO, it is foolhardy to not have first tested your strategy with a section hike akin to Springer to Neels first.

Quote Originally Posted by ChinMusic View Post
    10 feet is not a big deal in many spots. 2 feet is a HUGE deal in others.

A GPS is worthless as a micro tool. A fancy GPS (more accurate) will offer no additional benefits from a standard GPS. A dog, human companion, or limited sight is required, IMO to hike the AT.

Again, IMO, it is foolhardy to not have first tested your strategy with a section hike akin to Springer to Neels first.
    It is useless as a microtool. But based on the interview I read, it doesn't sound like he plans to use it as a micro tool, just as a macro tool. (akin to the whiteblazes) the micro tool is the cane.

Also based on what I read. They have tested the system on the AT ( I don't recall the distance).

Finally, while the camara man is going to trail behind so not to act as a guide, I can not fathom that if the blind guy is about to walk off a cliff the camaraman is just gonna stand there filming his hiking partner die or get seriously injured but instead will shout out a warning.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
++ New Posts ++