WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default cleaning cat pee from tent

Hi All!
    I have a question- I just got back from a lovely 2 days of rainy hiking. When I got home, I spread my wet gear over every surface in the house to dry. The rainfly to my MSR tent got spread over the washer in the laundry room. We keep the cat box in the laundry room. If anything is left on the floor in that room, one of my cats will pee on it. Well, the fly is bigger than the washer, so it hung onto the floor. The inevitable happened. Now I need to get the cat pee smell out of my rainfly and possibly re-waterproof it.
    Can I run the fly through the washer on gentle? There aren't any guylines to get tangled. What sort of soap should I use? If this is unadvisable, what do I do?
    Also, if I wash it will I need to waterproof it again? My husband suggested there's some spray stuff at the evil empire (Walmart) that will help. In the past, I've looked in both Sports Authority and Target for tent waterproofer and haven't been able to find anything. There aren't any real outfitters anywhere near me.
    I apologize for such noob questions.
    TIA
    Dee
    healthymom

Images

I always just set mine up in the backyard and grab a hose pipe and a sponge and some gentle soap. Only trouble I've ever had with that method is getting all the soap out of the nooks and crannies. Most of my tents smell of campfires which is preety similar to cat pee if you ask me.

Images

odo-ban got the cat pee smell out of my sleeping bag.

healthymom, not a dumb question at all. I would try Lone Wolf's idea. Baking soda helps freshen up lots of materials. I sometimes add it to my cat's litter box. Don't put the fly in the washer though. Try to spot clean if you can.

I have had some luck with a product from Cabela's that removes odors from hunting clothes. You spray it on and let it dry outdoors.

I have a Eureka(pun potential here) tent that my best friend's cat marked about twelve years ago. The cat is long gone but his scent remains.

Images

1-800-531-9531 is the number for MSR's Customer Service Center, they probably have advice for you.
    Can't be the first time this has happened.
    What? Me worry??

I bought a van once that had cat pee smell to it.
    Sprayed it with some vinegar mixed with water.
    Did the trick.
    Don't let your fears stand in the way of your dreams

Nature's miracle a product made to neutralize odors from pet accidents works very will on floors, carpets etc. I have not found any fabric that it harmed. We buy it at Petsmart but I am sure that you can probably find it at almost any pet supply store, just spray it on wait 5 minutes and blot up. Every cat owner should have some.

I had the same thing happened, and posted the same question. The only thing that got it out was a gallon of natures miracle into a bucket and soaking the tent for a few hours. I then threw it into the washing machine and hung dry. No more smells, no more stains. Still got the cat though.

Images

5 gallon bucket is easier than the bathtub. $2.34 at Home Depot if you don't have one.

Woolite.

Vinegar does take stink out of stuff.

Images

If a faint smell remains, don't worry about it. It will keep the mice away.
    If not NOW, then WHEN?

ME>GA 2006
    http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?trailname=3277

Instagram hiking photos: five.leafed.clover

Images

I saw something at the carpet store yesterday for removing urine smells from carpet. it was called "urine-off". Its also available at amazon.com

Panzer

Hike smarter, not harder.

Mirazyme, from .......from..........the people who make Silnet?
    Con men understand that their job is not to use facts to convince skeptics but to use words to help the gullible to believe what they want to believe - Thomas Sowell

Default rewaterproofing?

Thank you for all your responses.
    No one has addressed waterproofing. Is there a necessity? If so, what do I use and where do I get it?
    Thanks,
    Dee
    healthymom

Getting out as much as I can..which is never enough. :) Mags's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by fiddlehead View Post
    I bought a van once that had cat pee smell to it.
    Sprayed it with some vinegar mixed with water.
    Did the trick.
    I had to do that, too. The girlfriend insisted that we take her cat with us to a friend's house in Vail, CO this past December. Long story short, the cat peed in my truck! (Grrr!)

It is 5F out or so and I washing the interior of my truck out with white vinegar and water.

My hands fricken' froze...but there is no smell at least!
    Paul "Mags" Magnanti
    http://pmags.com
    Twitter: @pmagsco
    Facebook: pmagsblog

The true harvest of my life is intangible...a little stardust caught,a portion of the rainbow I have clutched -Thoreau

Nature's Miracle is wonderful. I've used that, and it worked well. If you have a front loader machine, you can run it through that. If not, tube or large bucket will do for a good soak.

Images

first hand experience, male cat pee, sierra designs synthetic sleeping bag was soaked. odoban did the trick.

Let a friend borrow my tent and the same thing happened....only multiple times over the course of a winter. Tried it all and never could get the smell completely out. It was still very noticeable in hot humid weather.

I suggest burning it....with the cat inside. (just kidding PETA)

Quote Originally Posted by healthymom View Post
    Thank you for all your responses.
    No one has addressed waterproofing. Is there a necessity? If so, what do I use and where do I get it?
    Thanks,
    Dee
    healthymom
    Western Mountaineering recommends ReviveX and gives it high marks. If it's good enough for a $500 sleeping bag, it's probably fine for your tent fly.
    Roland

Images

jug of Odor Ban from Sam's Club...apply according to directions...
    Do one thing everyday...that makes you happy...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++