WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Vinegar and water works well, although I haven't tried it on the fabric you're asking about.

Default Natures Miracle

I second natures miracle! That stuff is amazing...I helped a friend move into a house where the previous owner let cats and dogs have their way (only in one specific room). The room was wall to wall carpet, once removed the room smelled even worse. The room was a garage that was converted into a bedroom so the floor was concrete. We bought a couple of gallons of nature's miracle from Petsmart and went to town scrubbing the floor. It took all the the pet urine and feces smell away!

I feel like this would work perfectly for your tent. I would just wipe down the affected area with the nature's miracle then use seam sealer in that area if it looked like it needed it. I would not suggest putting your fly in the washing machine, but YMMV...I would think that too much could go wrong.

I have a small dog and I use nature's miracle on any accident or incident he has or makes in the house and I am very satisfied with the results. I have also used it on multiple surfaces and fibers of all diffrent strand and never had a problem.

Good luck and let us know what you end up doing!

Quote Originally Posted by healthymom View Post
    Thank you for all your responses.
    No one has addressed waterproofing. Is there a necessity? If so, what do I use and where do I get it?
    Thanks,
    Dee
    healthymom

Do you have any reason to suspect that the waterproof coating has been damaaged? Is it coated nylon or something else?

I would think that the cat pee hasn't lifted the waterproof coating off of the fabric. If it has, then of course you need to put a new coating down.

There are several products on the market for this, and my experience is that the repaired coating that you (usually) brush on isn't as good as the original coating put on in the factory. Nevertheless, it will usually last for some useful time before you have to repeat the job. Eventually, you may elect to purchase a new tent or a new tent fly from the manufacturer... unless they give you one out of goodwill under warranty. Seeking advice from the manufacturer on cleaning is a natural avenue to inquire on replacement parts, and are they included under warranty?

Others may have mastered the technique of tent coating repair, and I wish they would pick up the thread and give you the benefit of their experience. My results above may reflect my untrained technique as much as the quality of the DIY waterproof coatings themselves.

I have read several times now of people who DIY putting silicone coatings on nylon with good results, for example. So, I have reason to believe that there is some much better advice out there.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++