WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Registered User David@whiteblaze's Avatar
    Images

Default I need a Camcorder suggestion

I am planning on video-documenting my thruhike(s) and need a good, high-quality, less than 3-pound total, semi-shock resistant, tripod/gorrillapod mountable camcorder, can anyone point me in the right direction?
    Important Notice:

Due to recent budget cuts, the light at the end of the tunnel has been turned off.

We apologize for the inconvenience.

Sincerely,
    The Government

Images

A guy at work has one of these

http://store.theflip.com/UltraHD.aspx

I know he really likes it, but I do not know
    If it will fit your requirements.

Images

well, I am not good at holding aything like that steady unless it has a standard shape and strap.
    Important Notice:

Due to recent budget cuts, the light at the end of the tunnel has been turned off.

Sincerely,
    The Government

Images

We bought this for our daughter's wedding last summer.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Sony+-+H...&skuId=9738635

Got it on sale for just under $300 at the time. Fits in the palm of my (small) hand, extremely easy to use, has a tripod mount, excellent quality video and audio, takes the Memory Stick Pro Duo cards (very small). We found an 8 GB card held just about 4 hours of video. It does go through the battery in about 2 hours, so we have a spare as well as the wall mount charger for it so we don't have to use the power cord. (those things - the memory cards, extra battery and wall mount charger are all extras that I bought on Amazon rather than pay store prices).
    "All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us."

I would suggest getting a point&shoot camera with video capabilities. Preferably HD video capabilities. That way you aren't carrying to separate devices.
    Don't take anything I say seriously... I certainly don't.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Ender View Post
    I would suggest getting a point&shoot camera with video capabilities. Preferably HD video capabilities. That way you aren't carrying to separate devices.
    The Sony camcorder does do still shots. The problem I've found with using a point and shoot is that the video function eats up the memory card way too fast and you're limited to the number of minutes most of them will do one video - like 3 minutes for each one. This camcorder is so small and light that it really would not be a problem to carry it as well as a small, lightweight digital camera. He said he wants to do a video documentary so he probably does need a regular camcorder as well as a still shot camera.
    "All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us."

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Mrs Baggins View Post
    We bought this for our daughter's wedding last summer.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Sony+-+H...&skuId=9738635

Got it on sale for just under $300 at the time. Fits in the palm of my (small) hand, extremely easy to use, has a tripod mount, excellent quality video and audio, takes the Memory Stick Pro Duo cards (very small). We found an 8 GB card held just about 4 hours of video. It does go through the battery in about 2 hours, so we have a spare as well as the wall mount charger for it so we don't have to use the power cord. (those things - the memory cards, extra battery and wall mount charger are all extras that I bought on Amazon rather than pay store prices).
    Well, I might just have to find a sale coupon sometime if you/ they like it that much....
    Quote Originally Posted by Ender View Post
    I'v gone back and forth on this issue, and seeing as how there are multiple free programs that can "steal" images off of a video, and every reasonably priced camera that has video capability has very poor video or camera capability I decided to just find a high-quality camcorder...
    Important Notice:

Sincerely,
    The Government

2 guys did a thru of the CDT:
    http://www.made-in-england.org/videos/cdt/

and used this HD video camera:
    http://www.sony.co.uk/product/hdd-av...rive/hdr-sr12e

If you're going to do anything more than post clips on Youtube, you should carry a video camera and a still camera. Video cameras take bad still shots, and still cameras take pretty bad video, regardless of what they claim. And if you're shooting enough video to make a documentary, you'd have to carry a pantload of batteries for the still camera.

I prefer a camera that doesn't store video on an internal Hard Drive. My video camera's media is mini-DV tapes. My thinking is that if the camera is ever dropped in a steam/dropped off a cliff/dropped in a toilet, the most video I'll lose will be one hour.

But then again, I don't worry so much about weight. I bought a 10 hour battery that's pretty heavy, so my priority obviously isn't minimizing weight.
    Drab as a Fool, as aloof as a Bard!

http://www.wizardsofthepct.com

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Jester2000 View Post
    If you're going to do anything more than post clips on Youtube, you should carry a video camera and a still camera. Video cameras take bad still shots, and still cameras take pretty bad video, regardless of what they claim. And if you're shooting enough video to make a documentary, you'd have to carry a pantload of batteries for the still camera.

I prefer a camera that doesn't store video on an internal Hard Drive. My video camera's media is mini-DV tapes. My thinking is that if the camera is ever dropped in a steam/dropped off a cliff/dropped in a toilet, the most video I'll lose will be one hour.

But then again, I don't worry so much about weight. I bought a 10 hour battery that's pretty heavy, so my priority obviously isn't minimizing weight.
    And on that note, maybe I should look at my dad's camera....
    Important Notice:

Sincerely,
    The Government

Images

strike that, it's kinda fuzzy...
    Important Notice:

Sincerely,
    The Government

I would imagine it's going to be hard to find reasonably priced mini-DV cameras. As the general populace loves the idea of internal memory, the cameras that take mini-DVs are going to be high end cameras that pros use, which will probably run in the $2000-$3000 range, although you can probably still find Sony HDR-HC9 MiniDV cameras (still pretty expensive -- $900 or so).
    Drab as a Fool, as aloof as a Bard!

http://www.wizardsofthepct.com

I agree with whoever it was that said the newer point and shoot cameras take HD video also.
    Point is: the mini DV video cameras of the past have motors inside. These motors go bad when they get damp/wet/humid conditions. I have 4 of them here that either don't work or have problems related to this.
    However, the newer point and shoot cameras don't have these moving parts (except the lens retracting) and handle wet conditions so much better.
    Someone also said that the memory cards can fill up fast.
    This is true but the tradeoff to me is still leaning towards not breaking your camera vs. having more video.
    Better to either buy a bunch of big cards, and send them to someone who can store the info and send them back, or be very careful in your shot selection.
    Don't use video to pan a view, use a still and then use software to pan across it. Much steadier and just as good.
    Don't go for the views so much. Save your shooting for camp, interesting areas (fire towers, shelters, historical spots, steep climbs/descents, etc.
    My first video thru--hike, i took 17 hours of video and edited down to 40 minutes.
    My next one, I took 5 hours and ended up with 40 minutes of finished product.

Good luck. Use a tripod whenever you can also. (too much film is unusable because i didn't)
    Don't let your fears stand in the way of your dreams

Images

well, I decided against using dv because I feel that the capacity of a 8-gb micro sd surpasses weight for the tapes, I just need to focus on finding a really good-quality $400- camcorder that isn't too heavy, because I feel like the video hours will be up in the 200+- range. I can get a light good quality camera later on (the size and quality get better every year)
    Important Notice:

Sincerely,
    The Government

I saw a SOBO'er last year using this one: Panasonic Lumix dmc fz28
    He took some video of our band and gave it to me.
    It was very good quality.
    The camera was quite big though.
    I can't edit HD so, my next purchase is a computer that will. But this would be one that I would seriously consider.
    Good luck.

Images

well, like I said, I need to take video without the aid of a tripod at points, and your friend probably used a solid object to film a band...
    Important Notice:

Sincerely,
    The Government

I don't think he had a tripod that night.
    But he was pretty good at steadying it.
    Try holding it near your waist or stomach to hold it steadier but there is always a difference (better) when using a tripod or prop it on a rock or something.
    I'd check out those tiny tripods with the flexible legs. They are fairly lightweight.

Images

I think you are reffering to the gorrillapod, and I am planning on getting one to use along with the camera mount on my hiking pole.
    Important Notice:

Sincerely,
    The Government

I carried a Canon HF S100 camcorder on the PCT last year with great results. Its a flash based camcorder (no moving parts and uses less power then tape or harddrive based camcorders). You can't go wrong with any of the Canon HF models. Sony also makes some nice small models though I despise their proprietary flash memory cards that I can't use in anything non-sony.

Get a unit that is flash memory based as there are no moving parts and they use less power then harddrive or tape based units. Make sure it has an optical stabilzier to help steady hand held shots. Add a circular polarizer. As the mics on camcorders aren't the best and they pick up wind noise, you may consider getting a small lav mic such as the Audio-Technica ATR3350 to get cleaner audio when recorder yourself or interviewing someone else.

I forgot to mention still shots. Not all camcorders take crappy photos. I have 2 camcorders. My older camcorder only takes 2.2megapixel photos that are just ok in quality. My Canon HF S100 takes 8megapixel shots that were as good as many p&s cameras. I took 3000 photos in addion to the numerous hours of video. I used photoshop CS4 and made more then 200 panoramic photos that were good enough to use to pan across in my editting software. Its hard to do a smooth pan without a fluid head tripod, but its easy to do one across a photo in software. It will look good as long as there isn't anything in the photo that should be moving like water or a person or its obviously a photo.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++