WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

My favorite list of books;

The Hunger Games trilogy by Suzzane Collins
    The missing series by Meg Cabot
    Fire Bringer by David Clement-Davies
    The Princess Diaries by Meg Cabot
    Tuesdays with Morrie by Mitch Albom
    The Uglies Series by Scott Westerfeld
    Power of Five by Anthony Horowitz
    Term Limits by Vince Flynn
    The Oath by Frank Peretti
    Night by Eli Weisel
    Cat's Cradle by Kurt Vonnegut
    Tomorrow When The War Began by John Marsden

The most recent book I've read is a children's book by bob dylan"forever young"and I'm a big fan of flat stanley.The first book I read about long distance hiking was "A walk across America" by Peter Jenkins givin to me by my father back in 1977 good book ,it/he planted a seed. then I bought "the walk west" by same .And then "The complete walker II" by Colin Fletcher.I have not read "the thousand mile summer" by Colin, and have long been looking for a copy in old used book stores,and biding my time.But if someone would like to loan me a copy,I would treat it with the most care possible,as I do all my books.

Images

The Lord of the Ring Series should still top any trekkers list --- my favorite books lately seem to be those left in trail shelters - usually grocery store paperbacks - pretty fun sometimes

Images

A Walk In The Woods is worth the read. It reads fast and would not be a waste of time.

Quote Originally Posted by Luddite View Post
    You've never heard about the debate between which book is more accurate? How Boukreev abandoned his clients and never admitted to doing anything wrong?
    Several of the climbers have given Boukreev credit for saving their lives. Krakauer is his biggest critic. Krakauer didn't save anyone, mistakenlytold the search parties that he(Krakauer) saw one of the climbers return(the climber was still on the mountain) and was criticized by many of the families for tyrying to make a buck off of the tragedy. Perhaps Krakauer was trying to refocus the blame on someone else.

There are alot of great books on this list, but which of these titles would you actually want to carry in your backpack? I loved the Dune series but if I remember correctly the original was a pretty thick book.

none....to heavy.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by rickb View Post
    All Time Fiction:

The Thru Hiker Papers. Well, not exactly a book, but they are more expansive than Warren Doyle's tome. They are at this link, and one of the few things that might be considered required reading (IMHO)prior to a thru hike. http://www.spiriteaglehome.com/THP_top.html
    Thanks, that was great but now I'm 2 hours late to the gym.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Rockhead View Post
    Several of the climbers have given Boukreev credit for saving their lives. Krakauer is his biggest critic. Krakauer didn't save anyone, mistakenlytold the search parties that he(Krakauer) saw one of the climbers return(the climber was still on the mountain) and was criticized by many of the families for tyrying to make a buck off of the tragedy. Perhaps Krakauer was trying to refocus the blame on someone else.
    One of my favorite all time climbing books is "the Mountains of my Life" by Walter Bonatti.He solod routes that were deemed impossible, and it has a good dose of controversy about his role in a K2 expedition. Outstanding autobiography.
    although Id probably take kerouac's dharma bums or on the road.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Papa D View Post
    The Lord of the Ring Series should still top any trekkers list --- my favorite books lately seem to be those left in trail shelters - usually grocery store paperbacks - pretty fun sometimes
    How about a small paperback copy of the Hobbit. The story of a common Hobbit who leaves home for a grand adventure. Sounds like a story you could hear on any spring morning on Springer Mtn, minus the Dwarves and Dragons.

Journal Entries
    Images

Damn as of late again

Empire of the Summer Moon
    Matterhorn
    Levathan
    Good Soldiers
    New Jack ( nothing to do with the kid Balitmore)

in no particular order

moon palace by paul auster
    slapstick by kurt vonnegut
    zen and art of motorcycle maintance by robert pirsig
    electric cool-aid acid test by tom wolfe
    another roadside attraction by tom robbins
    jenny and the jaws of life by jincy willet
    an unfinished season by ward just
    the frog prince by adam davies

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Luddite View Post
    You should read the book yourself and make your own opinion. Into the wild is great book, but you'll probably have to get the one with the movie poster cover. I hate when they do that.

A Walk In The Woodsis an entertaing read, yes. A great book, no. But I agree with Luddite read it for your self and draw your own conclusions.
    "Too often I would hear men boast of the miles covered that day, rarely of what they had seen." Louis L’Amour

I think "A walk in the Woods"is very good book.Those that take issue with certain parts,well.......ok but that does'nt mean it's not a well written book,and one man's adventure,Honestly there's no contention here,it is what it is literaly.IMHO

Images

Quote Originally Posted by rocketsocks View Post
    I think "A walk in the Woods"is very good book.Those that take issue with certain parts,well.......ok but that does'nt mean it's not a well written book,and one man's adventure,Honestly there's no contention here,it is what it is literaly.IMHO
    It is a good book, you just have to remember Bryson is a writer first, then a hiker.

Images

Bill Bryson is hilarious. Remember... as HB57 said.... he's a writer hiking, not a hiker writing. His book, 'The Mother Tougue...' is my favorite so far.

Quote Originally Posted by hikerboy57 View Post
    It is a good book, you just have to remember Bryson is a writer first, then a hiker.
    I think that is a very fair statement.

Any body know of other titles of AT hiking books on cd,itunes?

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Cranky View Post
    Wow,
    I thought I was the only guy reading Kenneth Roberts & Paul Theroux!!
    Another good novelist: Robert van Gulik, Judge Dee mystery series.
    I think Northwest Passage is the first book I read as a kid and the one that got me into following trails in the woods.

Definitely agree with The Razor's Edge and Touching the Void. Paul Theroux non-fiction books are always worth reading although he can be a bit of a crank sometimes, however I don't find his fiction books that enjoyable. I just picked up The Ultimate Journey by Eric Ryback and I'm about half way through. Very interesting to read about hiking the CDT before there was a CDT.
    In a somewhat similar vein (since I don't carry books hiking anyway) how about great movies related to hiking or climbing? My list would include Touching the Void, The Way Back, Blind Sight and North Face.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
++ New Posts ++