WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Why do people feel the need to join a group to go hiking?

AT 11,000 Miler
    Images

I think the article is nicely written. I would not be concerned.

Getting out as much as I can..which is never enough. :) Mags's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by max patch View Post
    Why do people feel the need to join a group to go hiking?

For some people who are new to the outdoors, a group setting can be a wonderful way to ease into the outdoors.

Esp for some people who were raised to be afraid of the outdoors, tromping off into the woods solo can be intimidating. Imagine if you are 50 yr old woman who

A) Has never hiked (never mind backpack) in her life
    B) Been told since childhood that playing outdoors in not a feminine thing to do (yeah..some people think that)

A group makes people feel good about this new experience. And those people who do the trips may go solo at some point and/or introduce other people into the outdoors.

I think what MrsB is doing is a good thing. Hope it works out well!

Speaking for myself, many people new to an area join an outdoor group to meet like minded people. It is a social group that happens to do outdoor things. Worked for me.

I've been to places I normally would not have seen (Utah for example), done activities that I enjoy just as much as hiking (backcountry skiing!), made some deep friendships (shared their holidays, been to their weddings, and one little guy calls me "Uncle Mags".) and in June, I am bringing to Rhody the woman I met on a hike. She's meeting the family. (And tasting good, fresh, seafood!)

I love my solo hikes...but love the friendships I've made, places I've been and activities I do because of outdoor group I joined a nearly a decade ago.
    Paul "Mags" Magnanti
    http://pmags.com
    Twitter: @pmagsco
    Facebook: pmagsblog

The true harvest of my life is intangible...a little stardust caught,a portion of the rainbow I have clutched -Thoreau

Mags, that's it exactly. Just 2 weeks ago, our chapter out of the Philadelphia area took a short hike up Mt. Minsi at DWG. For some of the women, who were mostly age 50-ish, it was quite a challenge. We took frequent breaks, socialized, and they had a fantastic time. It took us 2-1/2 hours to get up that little mountain, but they did it. They all want to come back and do it again.

Hiking is simply the vehicle, if you will, by which the women develop self-confidence. And of course, we have a fantastic time, too! The social part of it is a huge plus.

Images

Just an update - - I now have more than 60 ladies signed up for Maryland Trail Dames. They are so happy to have this group and eager to get going. Many have never hiked before and others are experienced backpackers, early 20's to late 60's, most are local but some are driving as much as an hour to get here. It's going to be an exciting year!
    "All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us."

woo hoo! Taking over the world!

Images

Nice, congratulations

Getting out as much as I can..which is never enough. :) Mags's Avatar

Sounds great. The more people who see the outdoors as a positive thing, the better.
    Paul "Mags" Magnanti
    http://pmags.com
    Twitter: @pmagsco
    Facebook: pmagsblog

The true harvest of my life is intangible...a little stardust caught,a portion of the rainbow I have clutched -Thoreau

Images

Alrighty then........when I said "more than 60" I was thinking around 65. I was out in California visiting family at the time and was losing track of the count as I answered emails from interested people. I just counted the names........82!!!!!!!!!

Images

:banana

Got through my first hike leading the Maryland Trail Dames! I had 41 ladies turn out! It was cold, overcast and windy but everyone had great attitudes and did well. I had complete beginners and experienced backpackers, ages from low 20's - 70. They all hiked and chatted and laughed together like old friends.

Now, I have to chose May's hike!

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Mags View Post
    For some people who are new to the outdoors, a group setting can be a wonderful way to ease into the outdoors.

Esp for some people who were raised to be afraid of the outdoors, tromping off into the woods solo can be intimidating. Imagine if you are 50 yr old woman who

A) Has never hiked (never mind backpack) in her life
    B) Been told since childhood that playing outdoors in not a feminine thing to do (yeah..some people think that)

A group makes people feel good about this new experience. And those people who do the trips may go solo at some point and/or introduce other people into the outdoors.

I think what MrsB is doing is a good thing. Hope it works out well!

Speaking for myself, many people new to an area join an outdoor group to meet like minded people. It is a social group that happens to do outdoor things. Worked for me.

I've been to places I normally would not have seen (Utah for example), done activities that I enjoy just as much as hiking (backcountry skiing!), made some deep friendships (shared their holidays, been to their weddings, and one little guy calls me "Uncle Mags".) and in June, I am bringing to Rhody the woman I met on a hike. She's meeting the family. (And tasting good, fresh, seafood!)

I love my solo hikes...but love the friendships I've made, places I've been and activities I do because of outdoor group I joined a nearly a decade ago.

Totally agree with this statement. I started a hiking group in Florida for the same reason do not really want to hike alone, I find that most women especially feel this way.

I have had 4 women join and do overnight hikes that have never had a backpack on and have never camped overnight and they loved it and are now buying their own gear.

We are 108 strong now and are extremely active people are hiking and backpacking that would normally never have tried it. Groups are good.
    If you can’t fix it with duct tape or a beer; it ain’t worth fixing

Quote Originally Posted by Mrs Baggins View Post
    ..Now, I have to chose May's hike!
    Have you looked into Catoctin? After starting with Gambrill, Catoctin may be a good next-step. I haven't been there for a while but I thought you could string together a loop hike or 2.

Re the article, I believe there's a direct correlation between accuracy and the reporter's familiarity and/or comfort level with the subject. So few people get outdoors these days, I'm not surprised that a reporter - even one based within a few miles of good hiking - doesn't know the subject matter.

Re. the article's reference to what our mothers did or didn't do, my mother who was born in 1921 wasn't a backpacker or camper but she did go on monthly day hikes with what is now the Thendara Mountain Club in NY's Harriman Park. When I was little, I always wanted to come and she began letting me when I was about 11. So she was more of an hiking inspiration for me than my Dad who was totally non-outdoors. And my Mom was the first one to point out the AT to me. I was impressed - still am!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
++ New Posts ++