WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default UL Repair kit? I have a neoair plus lots of thin nylon/silnylon.

So I am in the process of nickle and dime-ing my sundries bag and clearing out a lot of the excess found within.

One thing that has always troubled me, even in my midweight days, was the tube of RTV I carry around with me. Its a small 1.7 oz tube of automotive grade room-temperature vulcanizer (silicone rubber). Its great for plugging holes in thermarests and pinholes in tents and acting as a high pressure, high temp gasket material when bolting engine parts together. Its good for over 1000 degrees and insane pressures and will definately repair a leaky tent or deflated matress.....but....I've never needed to use it. I also have duct tape rolled over a medicine bottle.

Am I carrying this needlessly? Should I drop the duct tape? Should I drop this? What do you guys/gals do?

Garlic
    Images

I use a closed-cell foam pad, for that reason. I don't like to carry anything on a long hike that comes with a repair kit. Duct tape is all I carry--don't drop that. Replace the tape every year, because it does degrade with time. Needle and thread has come in handy, too. My repair kit also has a single-edged razor blade instead of a pocket knife/multi-tool. I also make use of my paracord bear rope if needed for gear repair.
    "Throw a loaf of bread and a pound of tea in an old sack and jump over the back fence." John Muir on expedition planning

Images

Thumbs up Spinnaker Tape

I'll be burned at the stake for saying this on WB, but duct tape is overrated.

I've switched to carrying a bit of spinnaker repair tape. It comes in ripstop nylon and dacron. Serves as the superior repair in nearly every case that I've tried. Lasts for years and better in the sun. Multiple colors too...

Quote Originally Posted by Llama Legs View Post

I've switched to carrying a bit of spinnaker repair tape. It comes in ripstop nylon and dacron. Serves as the superior repair in nearly every case that I've tried. Lasts for years and better in the sun. Multiple colors too...
    Multiple colors for trendy repairs.....

I agree though about the duct tape. It doesnt really stick to silynlon very well and isnt airtight or waterproof.

Where did you get your kit and do you think it would "hold air" on a sleeping pad?

Granted, I've never actually had to patch anything so far. My sleeping pads have all remained inflated for their service life. I once had a tent with a pole stuck through it and a huge gash but it was snowing so I never bothered with a field repair and just retreated to the shelter nearby.

Images

Default tape

I'd "stick" with the manufacturer's repair kit for Thermarest, Exped, etc.

I bought the spinnaker tape online from a sailing supply source. Local boating stores should carry it as well. Or check with a sailing "loft".

I have a GoLite umbrella that I repaired a few years ago with spinnaker tape and it has held up fine. And that gets opened and closed often (I keep it in my vehicle).

Garlic
    Images

This is a good tip, thanks. Does it come stuck to itself in a roll like duct tape, or is it backed with paper? I've been looking on line and can't tell.
    "Throw a loaf of bread and a pound of tea in an old sack and jump over the back fence." John Muir on expedition planning

which do you recommend and how well does it stick to squirrels

Quote Originally Posted by crazypete View Post
    Multiple colors for trendy repairs.....

I agree though about the duct tape. It doesnt really stick to silynlon very well and isnt airtight or waterproof.

Where did you get your kit and do you think it would "hold air" on a sleeping pad?

Granted, I've never actually had to patch anything so far. My sleeping pads have all remained inflated for their service life. I once had a tent with a pole stuck through it and a huge gash but it was snowing so I never bothered with a field repair and just retreated to the shelter nearby.
    I hate to do this to you but you're wrong. I've had a 4" stretch of duct tape on my black snake tarptent proto for two full years. Sticks completely, airtight, and waterproof.

Quote Originally Posted by kanga View Post
    I hate to do this to you but you're wrong. I've had a 4" stretch of duct tape on my black snake tarptent proto for two full years. Sticks completely, airtight, and waterproof.
    Man, thats a good batch of duct tape! My personal experiences are the corners start to roll up after a short time then the piece works itself off with rain. YMMV

Garlic
    Images

Not all duct tape is created equal. There's a huge difference between the stuff on sale on the end cap at Home Depot and the UL-labeled stuff that licensed contractors use, which is about ten times more expensive. I carry the expensive stuff and have used it short-term on silnylon packs and shelters and it's worked OK, too.

UL Duct tape? Interesting. I thought all duct tape was heavy/durable by design. I was not aware that ultralight duct tape exists.

Wow...look at that. Not cheap. I'm gonna have to order me a roll and satisfy my curiosity.

Images

Not UL as in ultra light. UL as in underwriter's laboratory.
    Skids

Insanity: Asking about inseams over and over again and expecting different results.
    Albert Einstein, (attributed)

Quote Originally Posted by crazypete View Post
    UL Duct tape? Interesting. I thought all duct tape was heavy/durable by design. I was not aware that ultralight duct tape exists.

Wow...look at that. Not cheap. I'm gonna have to order me a roll and satisfy my curiosity.
    Haha! No, darlin. UL as in Underwriters Laboratories! Like on the tag on your string of christmas lights.

Quote Originally Posted by Skidsteer View Post
    Not UL as in ultra light. UL as in underwriter's laboratory.
    Dammit skids!

Images

Heheheheh.
    Skids

Insanity: Asking about inseams over and over again and expecting different results.
    Albert Einstein, (attributed)

++ New Posts ++