WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default You hear about people getting shot?

Right in front of where I am hiking last week, a couple got shot with a shotgun at one of the over looks here near Skyline/Blue ridge.

The guy died after jumping over the wall and falling 200 feet, his girl survived, both shot with a .20 gauge...in the head.

also, Heald is right in front of me somewhere, as is Cuppa Joe, who this kid complained about..LOL...said Cuppa snores too loud.

saw Tamberine at Big Meadows as well...but really...it seems as if they are keeping this pretty hush hush.

Guys in jail, but jesus...glad I didnt hitch any further South last week. Crazy people everywhere....

by in front of me, I dont mean I saw it, I mean it happened 'down the trail"...wanted to clarify.

I haven't heard anything.

Images

I read a post on Whiteblaze recently about someone shooting hikers, Don't know if this is the same incindent.
    It is dangerous on or off the trail, Keep your guard up!!! Be aware!!

Images

glad to hear you re OK.

Panzer

Hey King, glad your doing good..Whats up with the trail?? Is violence getting worse?? Seems thats all I am hearing these days..Becareful outthere, hikers..

Graywolf
    "So what if theres a mountain, get over it!!!" - Graywolf, 2010

Yes this is the same incident. There is a thread on it. They also linked this guy to two other hikers that were killed years ago.

Images

You talking about this one last year:

http://wcrnews.wordpress.com/2009/03...remain-sparse/
    SGT Rock
    http://hikinghq.net

My 2008 Trail Journal of the BMT/AT

BMT Thru-Hikers' Guide
    -----------------------------------------

NO SNIVELING

Formerly "Totem"
    Images

A friend and I were hiking a few weeks ago in NY and just past Nuclear Lake was a man shooting at Fowl of sorts not 100' from us. We started calling out "Human!" and my partner could swear buckshot hit a tree not 5' away. Took off down into the valley. Forgot about it until just now.
    up over the hills, theres nothing to fear
    theres a pub across the way with whisky and beer
    its a lengthy journey on the way up to the top
    but it ain't so bad if you have a great big bottle o'scotch

Quote Originally Posted by SGT Rock View Post

Thats the one Rock,

The guy died this week.

As far asmore violence on the trail...the more people there are, the worse economy gets, the more dumbasses drink and take outtheir rage on others the more it happens everywhere, not just on the trail

He is in jail, his wife turned him in, Swat surrounded the house and he admited he did it.

He went to work, he was a mechanic, and talked with coworkers about it like nothing had. They were shocked when they found out it was him.

57 year old, drunk and an arsehole.

Quote Originally Posted by Lion King View Post
    Thats the one Rock,

The guy died this week.

As far asmore violence on the trail...the more people there are, the worse economy gets, the more dumbasses drink and take outtheir rage on others the more it happens everywhere, not just on the trail

He is in jail, his wife turned him in, Swat surrounded the house and he admited he did it.

He went to work, he was a mechanic, and talked with coworkers about it like nothing had. They were shocked when they found out it was him.

57 year old, drunk and an arsehole.
    King, Your right..Violence is rising everywhere.. The trail is still one of the safest places to be..

I'm glad they caught this guy...What a...Well any name is too good for some one like that..

Graywolf
    "So what if theres a mountain, get over it!!!" - Graywolf, 2010

I am leaving in a few days on a 30 day section hike going thru SNP. It's just wierd to think that it could have been you.

The facts as I understand them:

The shootings happened on the Blue Ridge Parkway about ten days ago, about four miles south of the Humpback Rocks area.

The victims were not on the AT and were not AT hikers and the shooter apparently fired from a car at the couple as they watched the sunset. The first victim was a man, wheelchair-bound, and a DJ at a Charlottesville area radio station. He apparently fell or was thrown over a cliff after being shot once by the gunman. His companion, an 18-year-old woman, was wounded but still attacked the shooter as he got out of the car with his shotgun and she probably saved her own life in doing so. Still the gunman apparently forced or threw her over the cliff before making his escape.

The incident didn't get much play outside the Charlottesville/Waynesboro area, I'd guess. Acting on a tip, the shooter was arrested and confessed to police about April 7.

Article: http://www2.dailyprogress.com/cdp/ne...ountain/54493/

It's was a terrible senseless murderous tragedy.
    From what I've read in media, the shooter was a part-time painter's assistant in a body shop and had recently been going through chemotherapy for cancer (see article below). Maybe he decided to take the institutional route to the end of his life. He certainly accomplished that.
    He's been charged with capital murder as far as I know. Now he gets taxpayer-funded medical care and lodging.

More: Bond denied:
    http://www2.timesdispatch.com/rtd/ne...223206/336078/

More: This is a pretty good piece: (some are shocked at the news, some are not): http://www.readthehook.com/blog/inde...express-shock/

Images

When I first read this thread title I thought someone at Kincora had gone nuts. Glad I read it a second time.
    Order your copy of the Appalachian Trail Passport at www.ATPassport.com

Green Mountain House Hostel
    Manchester Center, VT

http://www.greenmountainhouse.net

Im in Waynesboro right now.

What I say is 100% acurate.

In fact, the wheelchair bound guy and his girl were watching the sunset, crazy stepped out of his truck with a .20 gauge and opened fire.,

the guy jumped out of his chairand over the edge, feel 100+ feet, lost concisouness and never woke up,. he is dead now.

The girl actually(after being shot) beat the guy up a bit, threw his shotgun to the ground and ran to a truck that was pulling up to the overlook on the BRP.

he shot at the truck as they fled as well.

And I'll tell you something, I road walk around Humprocks, and had I not taken a day or three off and hitched down, I may have been in the wrong place. GLAD it wasnt me too.

'it was last week.

Images

They were not hikers nor were the kids shot near Tech last year. People are only trying to tie this incident to the trail because of the bill on carrying concealed weapons in the park, and the two are not connected in any way.

The sooner people stop with the nonsense the better for everyone.

Quote Originally Posted by mtnkngxt View Post
    They were not hikers nor were the kids shot near Tech last year. People are only trying to tie this incident to the trail because of the bill on carrying concealed weapons in the park, and the two are not connected in any way.

Are you stupid?
    This has nothing to do with Tech or some law, its about people getting shot where hikers I know HAVE walked, and WILL walk this year.

Not all AT hikers stay on the AT.

BRP is the trail, Humpback is on the trail, and I could give a rats ass who carries a gun, I own guns.

This is about morons trying to kill innocent people who are trying to enjoy a nice sunset right off the AT.

I dont care if they arent hikers, they are people out to enjoy life, and some arsemunch who has a miserable existence and a drinking problem decided to go shoot people he didnt even know.

and to note, I didnt call you stupid, it was a question.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by mtnkngxt View Post

You're the only one that's mentioned it to my knowledge so far.
    "A man is a success if he gets up in the morning and gets to bed at night, and in between he does what he wants to do."

-Bob Dylan

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++