WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 20 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast
    Journal Entries

Default setting the record straight on whitehouse landing camps

posted on recent blogs.

Well, thanks for setting us straight.

......... very informative. Thanks!

Images

I'm glad that's all cleared up.
    Skids

Insanity: Asking about inseams over and over again and expecting different results.
    Albert Einstein, (attributed)

Images

Hey. Can you explain the Health Care bill when you get a minute?

Thanks in advance.
    Skids

Insanity: Asking about inseams over and over again and expecting different results.
    Albert Einstein, (attributed)

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Skidsteer View Post
    Hey. Can you explain the Health Care bill when you get a minute?

Thanks in advance.
    that one i can't

Thanks for the post Captain Blue, it clears up the thread for sure.
    (D.U.G. Rules!!!)
    Schnikel

Journal Entries

"so mr.weary when you stated that you think the companion and the other guide books should take out our camps,and you would like to see us go out of buisness because you think we cut an illegal trail .get your stories straight first."

Hmmm. I certainly remember being critical of your camps. Mostly because of the many reports by MATC maintainers and volunteers over many months about them taking down illegal signs and having those signs going back up almost immediately. The Maine Appalachian Trail Club, except for one parttime coordinator, is a totally volunteer organization. I've worked as a volunteer with them for well over three decades. I have seen no reason to doubt the truth of their reports.

However, I don't remember saying that the companion and other guide books should take out your camps. I don't believe in censorship of any kind. Did i really say a trail guide shouldn't report the fact that you exist? If I did, I was wrong. I might of said you cut an illegal trail, though I don't remember those precise words. I'm well aware that the road to the landing has been there for many decades. I think it is the reconstruction of the road that drew criticsm from volunteers seeking to enforce the rules governing federal AT lands against the intrusion of commercial enterprises.

Weary

Images

White House Landing is one of my favorite memories from my 1999 thru-hike.

Camp Mom, if you get the chance, let PoopaJack know I'm thinking about him. He was one of my favorite characters from the trail.

His steering me toward White House Landing added much to my thru-hike.
    If people spent less time being offended and more time actually living, we'd all be a whole lot happier!

Camp Mom?? I'm guessing Linda?? Say hello to Bill, Ben and Pooh Bear for me.

I happened on this post by chance. I haven't been on White Blaze too much lately, but I'm glad I did tonight. There have been other threads about White House Landing....and when I've seen them, I always had to post to them to say that White House Landing is my very favorite stop on ALL of the Appalachian Trail!!

It's an honor to call you and your family friends.

Thanks for everything you do for us hikers.

Oh yeah, I talked to Circuit Rider and Sherlock tonight before I logged on here. I know they would want me to say hello.
    Stumpknocker
    Appalachian Trail is 35.9% complete.

my pound burger was bland

Images

I enjoyed White House Landing. Even if I didn't. MATC is wrong.
    Rambler

Images

As a SOBO thru hiker, White House Landing was the first trail service / lodging that I came to. I enjoyed my stay, and the hospitality shown me, very much.

As for rules, regulations, access, signage, side trail maintenance, etc., it seems that MATC construes and enforces the regulations far more strictly than some of the other maintaining clubs further south with respect to access for similar hiker services near the trail. That is MATC's perogative and I have no complaints, as access to White House Landing was clearly described in my Trail Guide.

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by weary View Post
    "so mr.weary when you stated that you think the companion and the other guide books should take out our camps,and you would like to see us go out of buisness because you think we cut an illegal trail .get your stories straight first."

Hmmm. I certainly remember being critical of your camps. Mostly because of the many reports by MATC maintainers and volunteers over many months about them taking down illegal signs and having those signs going back up almost immediately. The Maine Appalachian Trail Club, except for one parttime coordinator, is a totally volunteer organization. I've worked as a volunteer with them for well over three decades. I have seen no reason to doubt the truth of their reports.

However, I don't remember saying that the companion and other guide books should take out your camps. I don't believe in censorship of any kind. Did i really say a trail guide shouldn't report the fact that you exist? If I did, I was wrong. I might of said you cut an illegal trail, though I don't remember those precise words. I'm well aware that the road to the landing has been there for many decades. I think it is the reconstruction of the road that drew criticsm from volunteers seeking to enforce the rules governing federal AT lands against the intrusion of commercial enterprises.

Weary
    Weary,i want you to come see us and i want you to show us the reconstruction of the road,if you call moving downed dead trees and limbs reconstruction so be it,i hear the amc is cutting a trail to their camps,why is that happening?

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Bearpaw View Post
    White House Landing is one of my favorite memories from my 1999 thru-hike.

Camp Mom, if you get the chance, let PoopaJack know I'm thinking about him. He was one of my favorite characters from the trail.

His steering me toward White House Landing added much to my thru-hike.
    hi bear paw,we sure will ,great photo!! thanks for the support.

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by stumpknocker View Post
    Camp Mom?? I'm guessing Linda?? Say hello to Bill, Ben and Pooh Bear for me.

I happened on this post by chance. I haven't been on White Blaze too much lately, but I'm glad I did tonight. There have been other threads about White House Landing....and when I've seen them, I always had to post to them to say that White House Landing is my very favorite stop on ALL of the Appalachian Trail!!

It's an honor to call you and your family friends.

Thanks for everything you do for us hikers.

Oh yeah, I talked to Circuit Rider and Sherlock tonight before I logged on here. I know they would want me to say hello.
    Hello Stumpy, we miss you!!!!! how are things going? we keep tabs on you from other hikers,i have been reading theses post for how long??!!! and i finally had enough it took 10yrs. to say something. you have been a great supporter of us,thank you,cr. and sherlock will be up our way earlier this year,Bill went to az. this spring to surprise his mom on her b.d. they were there also,was a nice visit. Bill got his capt.license and have been doing fishing charters here on the island,we will be here till may 20th if you are in fl. we have a spare rm. Bill will take you out fishing,the cobia and tarpon,and grouper are bitting .you are always welcome. we will be here next year too. have a great day,

Journal Entries

thats a first!!

Journal Entries
    Images

Default White House Landing

All as I know it was a great stop for me. Some prices may be a bit high, but I expected that in the middle of knowhere.
    You have to remember these folks want to make a living.
    Grampie-N->2001

Page 1 of 20 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++