WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Lost Appalachian Trail hiker found safe - Roanoke Times

Lost Appalachian Trail hiker found safe
    Roanoke Times
    More than 20 Roanoke County firefighters and medics searched and helped find a lost hiker near the Appalachian Trail ...
    Lost hiker rescued from Dragon's Tooth in Roanoke Co.WSLS.com
    Lost Hiker Rescued from Dragon's ToothVAFireNews.com

all 2 news articles »

More...

I love how under their safety message it doesn't bother to mention you should also have a map with you, in case you get seperated from your group or the main person that has the map.

They are basically saying a "fully charged cell phone" is necessary equipment. In other words if you don't take a cell phone you're a wreckless hiker. This is a piece of technology that hasn't been around all that long and now it seems like it is virtually mandatory to have.

More than 20 Roanoke County firefighters and medics searched and helped find a lost hiker near the Appalachian Trail on Thursday.

A 19-year-old woman from the Roanoke area called 911 about 8 p.m. after she was separated from four friends on the Dragon’s Tooth portion of the trail, said Roanoke County Fire and Rescue spokeswoman Jennifer Conley Sexton.

The county Emergency Communications Center tracked the woman using the GPS on her cell phone and relayed the information to three search teams. Most newer phones are equipped with GPS.

It took the search teams more than an hour to find the woman, who was given warm clothing, water and food. She was not injured, Conley Sexton said.

The department reminds hikers to always take a fully charged cell phone, extra clothing, food and water when hiking.

Images

Really? Forget about maps and compasses, who needs those in the woods...... what idiots
    "It was on the first of May, in the year 1769, that I resigned my domestic happiness for a time, and left my family and peaceable habitation on the Yadkin River, in North Carolina, to wander through the wilderness of America." - Daniel Boone

PCT, Sheltowee, Pinhoti, LT , BMT, AT, SHT, CDT, TRT 10-K's Avatar

From reading the article it sounds more like the woman was hiking but was not a hiker according to the standards we more or less apply to ourselves.

I always take my cell phone hiking because I have a family and a business and emergencies do happen --- but I think it's a good idea for anyone who is not a "hiker" to have a cell phone handy when they go hiking.

It doesn't say, but I bet they were found on the AT SOUTH of Dragons Tooth. There's a map at the parking lot kiosk that shows and mentions the Dragons Tooth Loop. They don't pay attention to the map. They go to Dragons Tooth and then head south on the AT looking for the trail that goes between the AT and the parking lot. THERE"S NOT ONE. I've mentioned to the local club that they need a sign a little south of Dragons Tooth saying this is not part of the loop, turn back. To do the loop, you have to go back down Dragon's Tooth the same way you went up and at Lost Spectacle Gap you continue North on the AT for about a mile or so and turn left unto the Scout Trail, that take you back to the parking lot.
    [COLOR="Blue"]Hokey Pokey [/COLOR]

PCT, Sheltowee, Pinhoti, LT , BMT, AT, SHT, CDT, TRT 10-K's Avatar

Is this the section that has the convenient store close to the trail - walk down the road a short ways, make a left and there it is...?

Quote Originally Posted by 10-K View Post
    Is this the section that has the convenient store close to the trail - walk down the road a short ways, make a left and there it is...?
    Yes. Just a few hundred yards on farther down rt 311 is the parking lot for Dragons Tooth.
    [COLOR="Blue"]Hokey Pokey [/COLOR]

Quote Originally Posted by john gault View Post
    They are basically saying a "fully charged cell phone" is necessary equipment. In other words if you don't take a cell phone you're a wreckless hiker. This is a piece of technology that hasn't been around all that long and now it seems like it is virtually mandatory to have.
    It is very frustrating isn't it? How many times on the trail do you not have cell service? Does a hell of a lot of good then, huh? lol.

++ New Posts ++