WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Images

Default Death on the AT....

I'm wondering if anyone knows of any deaths that happened on the AT. I know years ago there was a murder? (right?) But not just necessarily deaths by that means, any accidental falls? Some type of disease? Anything you've got, I'm interested in hearing. I'm curious.

Thanks
    HABAKKUK 3:19
    Yaweh my Lord is my strength; He makes my feet like those of a deer and enables me to walk on mountain heights!

Images

The topic about which you inquired is discussed often and was just revisited days ago. I don't understand why it generates such a high level of interest.

You could search for it or wait for someone to link it if you do not know how. You're not likely to wait more than a few hours since there seems to be a high level of activity for a time when I would expect more people to be outdoors.

There was a 20 something yr old man that died of an anuerism some yrs back, in the 90s I think. Someone actually talked to him on a mountain, he was bundled in his sleeping bag complaining of a terrible headache. He died later that day I think. Maybe someone else here knows more about the story.

Dtour

When I hiked in 2006 someone died of a heartattack a few miles ahead of me in one of the shelters. This happened either in Georgia or NC, I don't know too much about it.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by emerald View Post
    The topic about which you inquired is discussed often and was just revisited days ago. I don't understand why it generates such a high level of interest.

You could search for it or wait for someone to link it if you do not know how. You're not likely to wait more than a few hours since there seems to be a high level of activity for a time when I would expect more people to be outdoors.
    Yea...I hear ya Emerald.
    Yaweh my Lord is my strength; He makes my feet like those of a deer and enables me to walk on mountain heights!

Since the AT goes by Mt Washington, you could include all the deaths up there, too. Here's a neat link:

http://www.mountwashington.org/about.../surviving.php

There's also a good book about the history of Mt Washington and the mishaps over the years. Just can't remember the name of it.

Emerald's way off base and I support a keen interest in backpacking mishaps, whether on the AT or not. There's no better reading when I'm out on a long backpacking trip than taking several mountaineering books about guys right at the end of their tether. As I sit in a cold tent during a blizzard reading, they are describing near-death and often fatal experiences on the high ground. It makes my trips easier when I get to read about people who are really facing some extremes.

Why isn't there a big old book on backpacking mishaps and deaths? It's needed. I know the Smokies has a book about rescues in the last, what, 50 years? That might be relevant to the AT.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Tipi Walter View Post
    Emerald's way off base and I support a keen interest in backpacking mishaps, whether on the AT or not.
    I agree Tipi. Thanks for the info!

Garlic
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Tipi Walter View Post
    There's also a good book about the history of Mt Washington and the mishaps over the years. Just can't remember the name of it.
    "Not Without Peril". Good read.
    "Throw a loaf of bread and a pound of tea in an old sack and jump over the back fence." John Muir on expedition planning

Images

Maybe the thread starter might make up his or her mind and Tipi indicate how I'm off-base rather than make an empty, unsupported claim?

Images

Quote Originally Posted by sidebackside View Post
    Yea...I hear ya Emerald.
    When I said that Emerald, I was trying to avoid what your obviously bent on doing. Starting something other than what I created the thread for. My mind was made up when I posted that. I just didn't/don't want this thread to go where you're taking it. With all due respect to you Emerald, you don't have to contribute to this thread if you don't like or agree with it.

Images

The murders were listed for the umteeth time earlier this week. I won't link them for you. Y'all need to become a bit more resourceful.

That is my only point. Lord only knows what sinister plot you imagined was about to be hatched. Get on with your contribution.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by emerald View Post
    The murders were listed for the umteeth time earlier this week. I won't link them for you. Y'all need to become a bit more resourceful.

That is my only point. Lord only knows what sinister plot you imagine was about to be hatched. Get on with your contribution.
    Again..I hear ya Emerald. Thanks for the green light.

Images

I posted this on a previous thread.
    I admit that I only did about 30 minutes of research so I didn't get specific details.

Crimes and disappearances on the A.T. These are just some of the statistics:
    S.N.P. - 1996
    Williams 24 years old and Winans 26 years old, Gay hikers murdered.
    Blood Mountain - 2008
    Meredith Emerson 24 years old, murdered.
    Giles County - 1981
    2 Hikers murdered
    Grafton Notch - 2007
    Paul Marsh, Signed trail registry and was never seen again.
    Pennsylvania - 1990
    Molly Larue, Raped and Murdered.
    Geoffrey Hood, Murdered.
    Quincy Township, Pa. - 1998
    Tumbling Run Shelter, 28 year old woman hiking alone raped.
    Pennsylvania - 1988
    Woman shot.
    Pearisburg, Va. - 1981
    Man and Woman hiking from Maine to Georgia murdered near Pearisburg.
    Tennessee - 1975
    Wisconsin woman hacked to death by a hiker with a hatchet.
    Georgia - 1974
    26 year old man murdered at a shelter.
    Pinnacle Lake Trail - 2006
    Mary Cooper 56 years old and her daughter Susanna Stodden 27 years old both murdered while hiking.
    Is the A.T. predominantly safe considering the amount of pedestrian traffic? Yes. Is it completely safe to hike with no concern at all for personal safety. Review the statistics above once more.
    You tell me, Is it 100% safe?
    The answer is obviously, NO!!!

Registered User rustedsatellite's Avatar

My grandpa died about 2 miles south of Clingmans Dome about 13 years ago.

Mountain Wildman, I did a quick search and Paul Marsh was never seen alive again. He was found though. http://appalachiantrail.blogspot.com...-in-maine.html I couldn't access the actual article.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Nevermind View Post
    Mountain Wildman, I did a quick search and Paul Marsh was never seen alive again. He was found though. http://appalachiantrail.blogspot.com...-in-maine.html I couldn't access the actual article.
    Thank God for that, But he was dead either way.
    When I posted the list previously it was just to confirm that although the A.T. may be safer than a college campus etc... Like anywhere at anytime we live in a world that can be wonderful and /or dangerous at the same time. And though hiking the A.T. is very safe, people can still be hurt or killed there whether by accident or intention.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by rustedsatellite View Post
    My grandpa died about 2 miles south of Clingmans Dome about 13 years ago.
    Sorry about your Grandpa Rusted, I lost mine to emphysema in 79,
    I still miss him and was just thinking about him last week.
    It is a tough way to go, If you smoke cigarettes, Quit! If you don't, Then don't start. It hurts the people who love you as much as it hurts you. We all die but why facilitate the process.

I agree that might be interesting read for some folks about the mishaps on the AT, Sidebackside & Tipi. Mountain Wildman, all your entries on your post are about murders & rapes, which may also be interesting to some folks.
    I, personally, like stories with a good ending. Like the mishap in '03 with a hiker named Snot-rocket! While hiking north on the AT out of Duncannon in July, he passed Dude and Very Small Animal who were doing a southbound slackpack. As they stopped to chat, Snot-rocket got bit by a wasp. Not knowing he was allergic, he proceeded to swell to the point that he couldn't talk. Dude called 911, helped Snot-rocket get to road crossing where an ambulance was wating for him. Since they all only knew each others trail names, when the attendant asked for snot-rocket's name all dude knew was that. We all laughed about that later. It all turned out okay, thankfully.

Images

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by trailangelmary View Post
    I agree that might be interesting read for some folks about the mishaps on the AT, Sidebackside & Tipi. Mountain Wildman, all your entries on your post are about murders & rapes, which may also be interesting to some folks.
    I, personally, like stories with a good ending. Like the mishap in '03 with a hiker named Snot-rocket! While hiking north on the AT out of Duncannon in July, he passed Dude and Very Small Animal who were doing a southbound slackpack. As they stopped to chat, Snot-rocket got bit by a wasp. Not knowing he was allergic, he proceeded to swell to the point that he couldn't talk. Dude called 911, helped Snot-rocket get to road crossing where an ambulance was wating for him. Since they all only knew each others trail names, when the attendant asked for snot-rocket's name all dude knew was that. We all laughed about that later. It all turned out okay, thankfully.
    I concur!!
    I prefer a happy ending.
    I don't even like to watch a movie without a happy ending.

Images

A good man out of the good treasure of his heart bringeth forth that which is good; and an evil man out of the evil treasure of his heart bringeth forth that which is evil: for of the abundance of the heart his mouth speaketh.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
++ New Posts ++