WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by trailangelmary View Post
    I agree that might be interesting read for some folks about the mishaps on the AT, Sidebackside & Tipi. Mountain Wildman, all your entries on your post are about murders & rapes, which may also be interesting to some folks.
    I, personally, like stories with a good ending. Like the mishap in '03 with a hiker named Snot-rocket! While hiking north on the AT out of Duncannon in July, he passed Dude and Very Small Animal who were doing a southbound slackpack. As they stopped to chat, Snot-rocket got bit by a wasp. Not knowing he was allergic, he proceeded to swell to the point that he couldn't talk. Dude called 911, helped Snot-rocket get to road crossing where an ambulance was wating for him. Since they all only knew each others trail names, when the attendant asked for snot-rocket's name all dude knew was that. We all laughed about that later. It all turned out okay, thankfully.
    Thanks for sharing that story TrailAngelMary. I, too, like stories with good endings! I should've mentioned something about that in my original post.
    HABAKKUK 3:19
    Yaweh my Lord is my strength; He makes my feet like those of a deer and enables me to walk on mountain heights!

Images

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by sidebackside View Post
    I'm wondering if anyone knows of any deaths that happened on the AT. I know years ago there was a murder? (right?) But not just necessarily deaths by that means, any accidental falls? Some type of disease? Anything you've got, I'm interested in hearing. I'm curious.
    SBS, it's a valid question. Don't let anyone jerk your chain with petty, uncalled for retorts. Ignore them. We get tons of repetitive questions on WB.

My wife and I used to do a lot of caving. There was (may still be) a very fine annual compendium of caving accidents each year. It really was educational to read and learn from others' misfortune, stupidity, and unforeseeable and unavoidable accidents. Same could apply to the AT.

One cautionary comment. The caving community reports accidents actually in caves. The AT community sometimes reports accidents (and deaths) that are NOT on the AT. Just make note of the difference is all. I don't think deaths off the AT should be reported as deaths on the AT.

RainMan

[I]ye shall not pollute the land wherein ye are: ... Defile not therefore the land which ye shall inhabit....[/I]. Numbers 35

[url]www.MeetUp.com/NashvilleBackpacker[/url]

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Rain Man View Post
    SBS, it's a valid question. Don't let anyone jerk your chain with petty, uncalled for retorts. Ignore them. We get tons of repetitive questions on WB.

My wife and I used to do a lot of caving. There was (may still be) a very fine annual compendium of caving accidents each year. It really was educational to read and learn from others' misfortune, stupidity, and unforeseeable and unavoidable accidents. Same could apply to the AT.

One cautionary comment. The caving community reports accidents actually in caves. The AT community sometimes reports accidents (and deaths) that are NOT on the AT. Just make note of the difference is all. I don't think deaths off the AT should be reported as deaths on the AT.

RainMan

Thanks RainMan. I understand that Emerald was more than likely referring to this thread as "repetitive thread." Since creating this thread I've looked over some of the similar threads. Though somethings are the same, there comments posted in this thread that were not in the others.

And I agree...deaths off the AT should not be reported as deaths on the AT.
    Yaweh my Lord is my strength; He makes my feet like those of a deer and enables me to walk on mountain heights!

Images

I love books on the AT, and hiking in general, and personally I would absolutely read a book that accurately documents deaths on the AT or any other trails. Not for the "scare" factor - I don't even go to "scary" movies. It's just another facet, as horrible as it is, of the history of hiking.
    "All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us."

Images

Quote Originally Posted by trailangelmary View Post
    I agree that might be an interesting read for some folks about the mishaps on the AT, Sidebackside & Tipi. Mountain Wildman, all your entries on your post are about murders & rapes, which may also be interesting to some folks.
    Some people like controversy and will imagine it where there is little or none. In so far as such information contributes to useful knowledge and hiker safety, this thread could prove helpful. Were contributors to go into unnecessary detail about hikers now departed, it would be no better than the kind of journalism many of us despise. I don't judge threads by the number of hits generated. Let's try to be respectful as we broach this subject matter.

Images

Default ATC's safety pages

Ideas for topics which might discussed profitably can be found on ATC's website. Would some one link them? I should report to work now.

Default Anthony died in 2005

I'm wondering if anyone knows of any deaths that happened on the AT. I know years ago there was a murder? (right?) But not just necessarily deaths by that means, any accidental falls? Some type of disease? Anything you've got, I'm interested in hearing. I'm curious.

Thanks
    In 2006, I was exploring near the AT in the 100 Mile Wilderness. I came upon this marker in the woods about 1/4 mile from the AT. At the time, I did an online search and learned that a young man died of natural causes at one of the shelters on the AT in the 100 Mile Wilderness. I can't quite make out Anthony's last name on the marker.
    Shutterbug

PCT, Sheltowee, Pinhoti, LT , BMT, AT, SHT, CDT, TRT 10-K's Avatar

Another geographical location with a history of deaths that makes interesting reading is the Grand Canyon. Several books on the subject.

I agree Tipi. Thanks for the info!
    Ditto. Emerald has set himself up as the board Nazi responsible for determining for the rest of us what we are allowed to discuss around here.

Gee, here's a thought Emerald, if you don't like the topic of a thread how about just ignoring it? Get over the uncontrolled compulsion to bitch about every topic you deem unworthy of your time, which by the way you seem to have ample of for pursuing this behavior.
    "If you don't know where you're going...any road will get you there."
    "He who's not busy living is busy dying"

2005 there was a thru hiker that was tragically hit by a train and died outside of Duncannon.

Quote Originally Posted by TheCheek View Post
    2005 there was a thru hiker that was tragically hit by a train and died outside of Duncannon.
    That was in Duncannon, but not on the trail. Near where the train tracks intersect with Cumberland St.

Wow this is some interesting stuff. Despite being a bit squeamish, I would definitely read a book about deaths on the AT. Written well it could be a really good read. A map and a timeline would also be kinda neat.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Jofish View Post
    Wow this is some interesting stuff. Despite being a bit squeamish, I would definitely read a book about deaths on the AT. Written well it could be a really good read. A map and a timeline would also be kinda neat.

Absolutely. I agree.
    "All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us."

Green Mountain Man passed in his sleep at Big Bald shelter in 1999.

And the unfortunately named Phoenix died in 2006 - I think at Mt. Collins Shelter.
    "I too am not a bit untamed, I too am untranslatable,
    I sound my barbaric yawp over the roofs of the world." - W. W.

obligatory website link

Images

I think a young lady died crossing the Kennebunc river in Maine and is the reason that a crossing guard with a canoe is now used.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by emerald View Post
    Ideas for topics which might discussed profitably can be found on ATC's website. Would some one link them? I should report to work now.
    Although hiking the AT is statistically safer than living in almost any city, deaths, either by murder or accident, do happen, and I think it is an important topic. Everyone planning to hike should know that it's a possibility, and it should not be dismissed as a "non-profitable" topic, as you have implied. History is doomed to repeat itself, and there is something to be gained from the stories of fellow hikers that have met their end on the trail.
    "A man is a success if he gets up in the morning and gets to bed at night, and in between he does what he wants to do."

-Bob Dylan

I'm with you.
    While working in Denali Park I happened upon a book about disasters on the Mountain (Denali). It was quite engrossing. I must say as frightening as some of the stories seemed it was nice learning how to avoid such mishaps. Definitely piqued my interest in going to high altitudes.

that last message was @ Tipi Walter. sorry

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Sleepy the Arab View Post
    And the unfortunately named Phoenix died in 2006 - I think at Mt. Collins Shelter.
    As in..Mt. Collins Shelter in the Smokies?

There were a couple women murdered at wapiti shelter like 10+ years ago.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
++ New Posts ++