WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Journal Entries

Default Socks cause rash & itching

Hi;
    I have several pr of a long (calf height) socks I originally bought for skiing. I had been experiencing itching and a slight rash around my lower leg/ankle after having worn these socks while skiing. The condition always disappears on its own after a couple days not wearing the socks.

First, I thought the issue was the ski boot causing my foot to sweat. But I wore the same socks hiking, and had the same experience.
    This pretty much tells me that there is something in these socks that irritates my skin.

I have switched to wearing low cut running socks instead, and the problem is gone.

Any idea of what materials might cause this?

The socks are a blend of synthetic materials, and may have some wool as well, but I don't know the exact mix.
    The brand is Bridgedale, if that is of any help.

Thanks

FW
    Enjoy the trail; one step at a time

Images

Quote Originally Posted by fw2008 View Post
    Hi;
    wool

FW
    Try wearing them with a liner sock. Even a tube sock. As a test.

Oddly, Bridgedale is the only wool sock I can wear next to skin. (happily)

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by mudhead View Post
    Try wearing them with a liner sock. Even a tube sock. As a test.

Oddly, Bridgedale is the only wool sock I can wear next to skin. (happily)
    Thanks for the suggestion. I had been using sock liners, but gave them up because I thought they might cause blisters. I'll try going back to using them and see what happens.

FW

Journal Entries
    Images

sounds like chafe around the top of the boot... not an alergic reaction? Silk liners or mens thin dress socks underneath.
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Wise Old Owl View Post
    sounds like chafe around the top of the boot... not an alergic reaction? Silk liners or mens thin dress socks underneath.
    I don't think that is my problem. I hiked 10mi yesterday, wearing the same boots, with different (lower) socks and didn't have the problem.
    Unless you're thinking that the chafing is being caused because of the sock and the boot together?

FW

I often have this same problem with Smartwool socks, but it also occurs when I wear a thin synthetic liner. Distinct rash especially around near the top of the sock line. I wear trail runners. I'd kind of though it was a heat rash but it disappears after a few days and for me isn't itchy.

I have this problem with any bit of wool in a sock. First few hikes I wore wool sox and my ankles were blistered.

I don't wear anything with wool in it anymore. Problem solved for me!

Images

I've had similar problems with various everyday socks. Even went to the Dr.'s about it years ago. He told me it was an allergic reaction to the elastic, and put me on a course of Steroids. Also said that most often it was caused by some chemical residuals that are left on the elastic fibers, and that washing the socks before wearing them would probably solve the problem. I now was all my socks before wearing them the first time, and have had no further problems.

AT 4000+, LT, FHT, ALT Blissful's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

Never had a problem with Bridgedale myself.

Hiking Blog
    AT NOBO and SOBO, LT, FHT, ALT
    Shenandoah NP Ridgerunner, Author, Speaker

This sounds like a reaction to the material of the socks. It may be the chemicals they use to make the wool machine washable, or by the dye itself. If you aren't having reactions to other wool items, or synthetic items, then it most likely is an issue with a chemical in the sock itself.

It's not unheard of. I can't wear a specific brand of wool myself because of the exact same issue, I just switch to a different yarn brand to knit my socks.
    Credendo Vides

++ New Posts ++