WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Kincora Stories

Images

Quote Originally Posted by ShelterLeopard View Post
    So it is actually on the AT, right? Or .2 miles off, or whatever. (And it is still open, right)
    it is a MUST stop
    I'm so confused, I'm not sure if I lost my horse or found a rope.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by High Life View Post
    met bob " 501 " the new wingfoot guide owner in 2007
    at kincora .. it was cool to watch him and bob people sit and talk for a few
    while "501" was going around trying to get info on the trail
    the trail work around that area was incredible ..
    I really like Bob 501 McCaw.He seems to be a great person in every way.

Images

So glad to see this thread resurrected. Kincora and Bob are the reason my wife and I opened our hostel in Manchester, VT for AT and Long Trail hikers.

I have the fortune of being in the same club as Bob and the freedom of dropping in Kincora on a whim. Bob is one of the greatest men I have ever met. He has lived a life of service in many meanings - husband, father, Air Force, trail crew, hostel owner and friend. We (men) should all strive to follow his example.

Some of my favorite trail experiences are doing rock work with him on trail maintenance days with TEHCC. Not Hard Core because too many people are attached to him, but rather on small TEHCC outings when there's less than 15 of us. It's a joy to work side by side with a man of that calibur.
    Cabin Fever
    You need God—to hope, to care, to love, to live.

Registered User Tennessee Viking's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

Has he gotten back from his European pilgrimage hike yet?
    ''Tennessee Viking'
    Mountains to Sea Trail Hiker & Maintainer
    Former TEHCC (AT) Maintainer

Images

Well, it has definitely been highlighted in my guidebook- and I found it on the map. Only .2 off the trail? Awesome...

Fantastic hostel. Best enjoyed shortly after the thruhiker bubble has past.

Wow. Amazing. I started this thread almost five years ago.

Am very glad somebody revived it, and very glad that folks STILL have great Kincora stories to tell.

This is a very unique place, as anyone who's been there knows, and I hope the 2010 people are marking this thread, so sometime next Spring, they make sure and stop for a day or two in Dennis Cove.

Cuz otherwise, they'll have to do it again later and come back that way again.....

You miss Kincora on your thru-hike, you dropped the ball, end of story.

Images

Stay there on a section hike Bob is one heck of a person, I hope to visit Kincora again this fall to start a 2 week section hike in Va.
    The journey of 10,000 miles, begins with the first step.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff View Post
    So glad to see this thread resurrected. Kincora and Bob are the reason my wife and I opened our hostel in Manchester, VT for AT and Long Trail hikers.
    Wait, wait, wait. Hostel? In Manchester Vermont? Is it still open? Why didn't I know about this? This changes my resupply day in Manchester completely!!! (If you're still open, of course)

Images

Already marked this for a stop. I have only heard wonderful things about Kincora. Cant wait!

Default Teller of Tales

I have stayed at Kincora a few times on my section hikes. Listening to his stories and his take on different characters, with that twinkle in his eyes makes me smile. . When he offers advice, he knows what he is talking about. His encouragement and discriptions of trail sections, have truly kept me going. He is a sweetheart.

Quote Originally Posted by Lybarger View Post
    Fantastic hostel. Best enjoyed shortly after the thruhiker bubble has past.

I second that. I was there while Trail Days was going on and really enjoyed it. Bob is great and I really apprecited all the help and advice that he gave me.

Quote Originally Posted by ShelterLeopard View Post
    Wait, wait, wait. Hostel? In Manchester Vermont? Is it still open? Why didn't I know about this? This changes my resupply day in Manchester completely!!! (If you're still open, of course)
    They're listed in the 2010 Companion. Jeff is also a fellow field editor.

This thread will be seven years old in a few months. Amazing! Keep the stories coming, especially you guys who've been there recently!

Default Kincora Mail Drop?

Does Kincora hostel offer a mail drop? Also, there is a 4 donation listed, are there laundry costs, etc? Planning a zero there after all I have heard about it!!!

PCT 2013, most of AT 2011, rest of AT 2014

Quote Originally Posted by LittleBearK View Post
    Does Kincora hostel offer a mail drop? Also, there is a 4 donation listed, are there laundry costs, etc? Planning a zero there after all I have heard about it!!!
    I got a maildrop there last year. Can't imagine why he wouldn't keep taking them now ... does your guidebook not say? The $4 suggested donation covers everything.

Also, I love Kincora and think it's a fantastic place, but I wouldn't take a zero there. It's small, likely to be crowded, and far out of town. 2 1/2 days later, you'll be in Damascus, which is an awesome place for a zero. I'm sure you'll figure it out as you go.
    "Hahk your own hahk." - Ron Haven

"The world is a book, of which those who do not travel read only a page." - St. Augustine

http://www.scrubhiker.com/

Journal Entries
    Images

This October after climbing sobo from the rain into the sleet & into the snow to Iron Mountain Shelter & spending a cold damp night there, I woke up put on frozen boots & I was determined to get to lower elevation & out of the continued bad weather. I ended up hiking 24 miles & night hiking the last hour or so into Kincora. It was perfect timing! As I opened the bunk house door, about 6 fellow hikers going both Sobo & Nobo looked at me & the first thing they said was "Are you hungry, Dinner is just about ready" music to my ears!! They fed me a huge breakfast for dinner complete with kielbasa(sp) fried potatoes, fresh vegtables omlettes, french toast, salads & more. It looked like Bob's love was spreading!! I asked what I owed & they just said you've had a long day, just help with the dishes. The next day Bob noticed that I must have come in after dark & he drove me down to Browns Store to resupply & we had a long great conversion. I wish I could remember all the hikers there that night but I only have a few, Ayla, Brennen, skinnylegs, Saltydog were a few & the others I can't remember were heading nobo to Damascus.
    Take Time to Watch the Trees Dance with The Wind........Then Join In........

Journal Entries
    Images

Yes, Kincora does accept maildrops. The suggested donation is now $5 however.

See you on the trail,
    mt squid

how to hike

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
++ New Posts ++