WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Sliding rocks in the desert

Anyone ever been to see the sliding rocks in Death Valley? http://geology.com/articles/racetrac...ng-rocks.shtml

What's the nearest trail? Kind of sounds like you gotta use a vehicle to get to.

Death Valley doesn't really have trails per say. Most of the ones you see on maps are more routes then anything. I was backpacking in Death Valley in early April to see the wild Flowers. We basically left water caches at points near a dirt road and waypointed them in a GPS and then hiked cross country down the Eureka Valley to the Eureka Sand Dunes which are the highest in California at 680ft.

The Racetrack is a famous point in Death Valley. You need to drive on dirth road to get there though a car should be fine if you drive slow and carefully (most rental car contracts forbid taking them off road though). Its located in the western part of the park. Drive to Ubehebe Crater near Scotty's Castle and follow the dirt road SW for 30mi towards the Racetrack (it will be on the park map in the visitor guide). There are other driving routes for those with a 4x4.

John Gault, you must have been taken in by the recent TV show that I saw too attempting to explain the phenomena of the sliding rocks in the Racetrack area of Death Valley?

Images

If he didn't he should try to find it. It was a slick show.

Quote Originally Posted by Dogwood View Post
    John Gault, you must have been taken in by the recent TV show that I saw too attempting to explain the phenomena of the sliding rocks in the Racetrack area of Death Valley?
    Yes I was.

Mystery solved. http://www.grindtv.com/outdoor/natur...valley-solved/

Very good video on the above link. BTW, I didn't know that water filled the playa to such a level; that was never shown or discussed that I remember. Not much of a mystery when you see that. What probably made it such a mystery is that people assumed that they were moving much faster than they actually are.

Yah, I actually just happened to read this article on aol or huffpost. They say they have video/photographic evidence of the ice theory...well, I guess it's not just a theory any longer. http://www.aol.com/article/2014/08/2...?ncid=webmail2

They are all wrong. Aliens who live in the area in hollowed out mountain bases as they pass from this space time reality to the one they normally reside create a puncture in this dimension's space time continuum pulling the rocks into the created warped energy vortex. This is the explanation I received from a very serious Mt Shasta California New Ager who I dined with at the Berryvale Natural Foods store in Mt Shasta about the creeping/sliding Death Valley rocks. She also believed aliens, the Lemurians, lived in a subterranean crystal city called Telos located under/inside sacred Mt Shasta which is a part of the larger Inner Earth. I still enjoyed my Vegan lunch with her though.

Yeah, that was a good view explaining how the rocks move PF. I think that explanation makes more sense. It' s amaazzing that thin wind blown ice sheets can move partly submerged 700 lb rocks.

++ New Posts ++