Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Shaving?

Quote Originally Posted by Bear Cables View Post
    You're right, it is about you and your comfort level. We are all different in what's important and not. But just to give my perspective. At home I am a very "girly" girl. My hair is always styled just right, hair color always fresh, nails manicured, pedicures, make up always and clothes always stylish. Won't even go to walmart with out being "presentable" . On the trail it a different story! I don't brush my hair, just pull it back in a pony tail and pop on a baseball cap. Don't shave but I do try to stay clean in the important ways. As soon as I am off trail it's back to the at home routine. I love the two different me's !
    I hear what you're saying. I'm very much not a girly-girl at home, but regardless, I'm always hygiene-conscious... maybe I'm even a little OCD about it, lol. I don't wear make up or do my hair or nails or anything, but I DO shave my legs every day and shower every day, and hate when I can't for whatever reason. Not that people who don't shave their legs aren't hygiene-conscious... but for me, having shaven legs gives me the feeling (either factual or imagined) that I'm clean and neat, even if I'm covered in sweat and mud, lol.

What about a "smooth away" as seen on tv. They sell them at bed bath and beyond. I tried it and it does seem to work. No nick or cuts to worry about on the trail.

Quote Originally Posted by Bear Cables View Post
    What about a "smooth away" as seen on tv. They sell them at bed bath and beyond. I tried it and it does seem to work. No nick or cuts to worry about on the trail.
    Are those the pads that buff away hair? Never considered that... definitely worth looking into. The water/conditioner part of shaving is the most annoying aspect of it when hiking/camping.

Quote Originally Posted by hellomolly View Post
    Are those the pads that buff away hair? Never considered that... definitely worth looking into. The water/conditioner part of shaving is the most annoying aspect of it when hiking/camping.
    Yes that's what it is. Walgreens also sells them.

I heard smooth away doesn't work.

I've found that hiking/camping I flat out don't care to shave. It's a chore for me that I have no problem not doing. I'm 53 and can remember when I was little that both my Grandmothers and my Great Grandma never shaved!! Shaving doesn't make me any more clean than not shaving. Shaving is something you'll do just for you, if it makes you feel better while out hiking. I think your personal feelings about this do count, if it makes you more comfortable to shave, then shave.
    TinaLouise

I always find a way to shave one way or another. Sometimes i carry one of those disposable razor cartridges, sometimes someone offers me a razor, sometimes I buy one. It's pretty easy to get your hands on one and not at all time consuming or difficult to shave. Some guys still shave, some girls still shave, its totally up to you.

Images

No one shaves on trail you do it after,
    wolf

It is a little bothersome growing in at first, but once it reaches the stage where it's softer, then it doesn't itch or anything. That's when wearing long pants are nice so nobody can see the curls forming around my ankles.
    Some knew me as Piper, others as just Diane.
    I hiked the PCT: Mexico to Mt. Shasta, 2008. Santa Barbara to Canada, 2009.

Journal Entries

I have no plans on shaving my legs, except maybe occassionally in town, but I do want to shave my armpits and I am definitely, definitely carrying a tweezer. I get horrible chin hair and feel self conscious about it. I don't want to be the amazing bearded woman... lol. Since I have the tweezer, I'll probably keep my eyebrows good too, but I'm not sure, that might require carrying a mirror, whereas the chin hairs you can feel and therefore can pluck without looking. I don't really want to accidently pluck a hole in my eyebrow though.
    He who forms the mountains,
    creates the wind,
    and reveals his thoughts to man,
    he who turns dawn to darkness,
    and treads the high places of the earth—
    the LORD God Almighty is his name.
    -Amos 4:13

It's easy!!! WAX! This lasts for 6 weeks and its not much money at all! This is what I plan on doing when I start my hike this fall for the first time.

This is just my two cents, being a guy, but I just wouldn't consider shaving on the trail. The dreaded MRSA bug is out in the wild and several people have had to abort thru hikes, including my best friend, an AT thru hiker, who had to abort his PCT last year and ended up with a heart problem and a stroke from it. We get enough scrapes, scratches, etc. - why add one more avenue of infection? In the interest of full disclosure, I'm 3/16 Cherokee and have virtually no hair on my legs, back, chest and very little on my arms...

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by rachaeljessica View Post
    It's easy!!! WAX! This lasts for 6 weeks and its not much money at all! This is what I plan on doing when I start my hike this fall for the first time.
    I've been shaving my beard for 37 years and I'm getting tired of it. By 4 o'clock pm the day after the last shave, my face looks like a brown and white cactus field. So I have seriously considered laser surgery to totally eliminate the little follices. My understanding is that it takes several treatments so if I started in the winter or late fall, I would be done by spring. I have seven kids so I don't need to prove my manhood through facial hair or otherwise anymore.
    "Keep moving: death is very, very still."
    ---Lily Wagner (nee Hennessy)

Ok, I've been hiking since April 6, and I always shave!! If you like smooth legs, bring a disposable razor and shave in town and downstream at rivers when necessary. Its not a big deal at all. Razors way hardly anything at all, and there is nothing better than smooth legs on a hot day. I hated the feeling when my leg hair would get long while I was dirty and sweaty. It just helps make you feel clean

If you don't care what others think, definitely don't worry about it at all. However if you do, I can promise you the guys appreciate non-hairy legs on the trail Again, its about your comfort though! There are probably more girls who don't shave than those who do, but I am not one of them!

Back in the day in NH in the winter my wife shaved her legs infrequently. No problem to me. Once she shaved them in an argyle pattern which I rather admired.
    "It goes to show you never can tell." - Charles Edward Anderson Berry

my shaved head makes tick finding much easier and I just shave it in town

I shave when I reach a town if I feel the need to, but it has gotten so it doesn't really bother me all that much if I don't shave. Much less than I thought it would. No one cares on the trail- in fact they expect to see hairy legs on women. But I understand a personal thing totally- each person is different, and if it truely bothers you, use a disposable razor and conditioner or even just soap to shave. Heh, my not shaving under my arms bothers me more than my legs at this point. Crazy eh?

Images

Carry a disposable razor and use soap or shaving oil.
    Or, just pretend you're French.
    "That's the thing about possum innards - they's just as good the second day." - Jed Clampett

Quote Originally Posted by 4eyedbuzzard View Post
    just pretend you're French.
    hahhaha!!! Made me laugh.

To each his/her own I say. Personally, I wax, easy, lasts a long time, and don't have to worry about cuts or nicks.

Chicken Feathers Chicken Feathers's Avatar

Default boots

Ladies I have a pair of Timberland boots size 7 1/2M want to get rid of but don't want to throw in trash. They have been worn 1 time and she decided she did not like them. All I want is for someone to pay postage. Hope someone can use.
    The mountains are calling and I have to go

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
++ New Posts ++