WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Any dog well-trained can do it, but I'd stick w/ medium sized (max 50lbs or so) and a breed widely recognized as friendly. Avoid guard breeds and large breeds like rotties, german shepherds, etc, so that you don't freak people out.

I had a Brittany that was a great trail dog and someone mentioned longhair and getting stuff in their hair you had to deal with. Trust me when I say that is probably not something you will ever have to deal with. Mine was mostly white and he would come out of the brush or swamp and be completely clean and sparkling in five minutes.

My friend has Border Collies and they are super good on the trail. They walk about 20 times farther constantly running around the trails. As they are born to herd they are good with other animals and will not chase and easily called back even when something is going on. Very docile though can be very excitable. They do need a lot of activity though everyday.

A Vizsla or Vizsla mix. Very high energy and endurance, short single layer coat. VERY people oriented and friendly. They are also the perfect size for hiking and living with IMHO.

Our pup has not over heated yet in the deserts of Utah, although it seems extra care/protection is needed for winter hiking/backpacking.

These dogs expect to be part of your family.
    http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_0hKOs-wmPP...ian_vizsla.jpg
    Concrete is heavy, iron is hard - but the grass will prevail -EA

Quote Originally Posted by bobby8088e View Post
    My friend has Border Collies and they are super good on the trail. They walk about 20 times farther constantly running around the trails. As they are born to herd they are good with other animals and will not chase and easily called back even when something is going on. Very docile though can be very excitable. They do need a lot of activity though everyday.
    We have always had herding dogs (Cogi and Bearded Collie) and suspect they would be ideal. They were bred to stay with the master (not run away) and to work all day through rough terrain and weather.

Quote Originally Posted by pjkirk View Post
    Any dog well-trained can do it, but I'd stick w/ medium sized (max 50lbs or so) and a breed widely recognized as friendly. Avoid guard breeds and large breeds like rotties, german shepherds, etc, so that you don't freak people out.
    A lot of german shepherds successfully hike the trail. Winter made it look easy. On the other hand, it seems to me, it's not so much about a breed as it is about the individual dog ...just as it is with people.

We have 2 labs...about 75 pounds each. Great hikers and listen very well with voice command off the leash; which is good since labs love to pull! We always have their leashes in our hand for when we come accross other hikers...most don't mind them being off. Labs prefer the cooler weather though; we don't hike them in the summer too much due to the water requirements.

Superman is correct, I have seen scores of different dogs on the trail, including several Beagles, and one Basset on a long distance hike. I have a Beagle and would never let him off leash, but I have seen it done. Strangely, I have seen several chihuahuas and they were doing very well!

Images

i have a weimaraner and he's awesome! took straight to hiking and now is a great trail dog...this breed requires lots of exercise though, so proceed here with caution...but as far as a hiking breed, this one is tough to beat...
    Check out my website: www.serialhiking.com

Images

I weekend hike with my Spinone and she loves the trail. I plan to thru hike 2011 with her. She is an Italian hunting dog. They are great with people and she is able to do alot of miles. She loves the trail as much as I do. A great breed to check on.

Images

Id go with a lab any day.

Images

Or a Golden Retriever

Got Plott?? Second to none.

Quote Originally Posted by GracefulRoll View Post
    I have a greyhound and I take her on parts of the trail. She loves to see prey, but as long as she is on a leash, I can make her "leave it."

Also, one advantage? She has f'ing eagle vision. At night she sees things I wouldn't notice. So, if there were anything lurking, I'd know when her ears perked up and she was standing at attention.

It's a matter of obedience unless they were to be within inches or a few feet of the prey.

I don't see any real big deal with the hunting dogs or hounds. I find they are amazing to have along.
    i was wondering about greyhounds on the trail, as we just got one.
    can't wait to get her out there.

Can't believe no one has mentioned Border Collies, Australian Shepherds, Catahoulas, Pyrenean Shepherd, Norwegian Buhund, etc.

The herding breeds are really superior hikers. It's what they were bred to do. Follow the migrant herds around and keep them together.

Intelligent, easily trainable, energetic, durable, beautiful, etc. Really the perfect breed of dog for neregetic owners.

Images

most any herding dog or sporting dog would work. Stay away from hounds...most want to chase too much. Like Superman said individual dogs vary even in the same breed.
    If you find yourself in a fair fight; your tactics suck.

Quote Originally Posted by drastic_quench View Post
    Working dogs and hunting dogs seem like the best bet. They're active, nimble, driven, and most are bred to take orders.

What not to look for: Personally, I wouldn't take any dog larger than a Labrador Retriever, because you might have to carry them a short distance occasionally. Also big dogs would have a rougher go of it on their joints and feet, I suspect. You'd want a dog that won't overheat too. All the Alaskan sled dog breeds love to put in the miles, but they're not built for heat. Dogs with long coats or especially shaggy coats seem like a bad idea with all the maintenance, ticks, and burs you'd have to deal with.

If I were in the market for a hiking dog, I would look for a beagle, lab, or border collie myself - just based on the types of breeds I like that fit the above criteria. But there's lots more that work too. Lots of the taller terriers would make for great companions too.

I can't agree with all of this more! My dog is a lab/border collie mix and is made for the trail.

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Reid View Post
    Id go with a lab any day.

Labs FYI for all to know are more likely to run up to others & pay less attention. My Lab clearly would benefit from Ritalin as a Attention Deficit
    Dog. They take two - to three years to grow up.
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

Quote Originally Posted by Wise Old Owl View Post
    Labs FYI for all to know are more likely to run up to others & pay less attention. My Lab clearly would benefit from Ritalin as a Attention Deficit
    Dog. They take two - to three years to grow up.

In my training and personal experience, it completely depends on the strain of the lab you have. Overbred backyard pets can be this way, but well-bred labs, especailly labs bred for the field, are not so. It just depends.

Images

we talking dogs or hiking partners. LOL
    I'm so confused, I'm not sure if I lost my horse or found a rope.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by superman View Post
    On the other hand, it seems to me, it's not so much about a breed as it is about the individual dog ...just as it is with people.

I agree. But just saying that I agree is too short a message to post. Hence, these last two sentences.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++