WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Walmart poles

When looking for poles I tried the Walmart version right there in the store and found them not to hold the set length, so I didn't get them. The same happened at Sports Authority. I ended up with Leki.

Journal Entries

Default Walmart poles

I've been using the REI Traverse poles with cork handles for a few years and have a few hundred miles on them. I couldn't be happier with the poles, their weight, durability, or price. If not mistaken they are made by Komperdale.
    RIAP

I bought a set from WM to start with. After realizing how much I liked using them I decided I would invest in Leki's when the elcheapos laid down.
    That was 4 years and many miles ago and im still using the same wal mart poles. I use them every time I hike not only for walking but also with my Six Moon.

One word.........PACERPOLE!

I bought a pair of $18 trekking poles at walmart. I have hiked 400+ miles with them. I use them in my tent. I took an awful fall and bent them. After the fall, I bent them back. They are still going strong with no problems. I love the price and longevity of my poles.

Some people are far too concerned about where they buy something instead of taking a look at what they are buying. I am not opposed to paying for a couple percent higher from time to time to support a specialty or mom and pop shop but to throw my money away to support outright uncompetitiveness or gouging is stupid.

I have looked at the Walmart products as compared to outfitters and found there is a considerable difference in most of the lower priced poles than what outfitters carry. Grip material can be very different, even similar looking material like cork can have a lot of differences when cost is removed from the product to make it less expensive. The ergonomic fit of the grip can be very important along with the material and adjustability of the wrist strapping. I have also seen inexpensive poles unable to keep rubber tips on due to sizing differences from standard tip diameters.

At the higher end of trekking poles in Walmart, there are the $230 set of carbon fibre poles, $130 flick lock Black Diamond poles, and $110 Komperdell twist lock poles. The higher end poles at Walmart have few differences from similar brand poles found at outfitters, the $14.00 pole have many. It really depends on what you are looking for. If someone has found a pitched grip may be more suitable, or a lighter padded wrist strap being a feature they want, these things will add cost to the product.

I got a set of Wally world poles for just under $12 from their online store. I mainly got them for my Hammock tarp to put it up in "Porch mode" so I can be under something while I cook. They are pretty go for that purpose. And honestly, if you are just starting out, it is better to buy the cheap stuff from Wally World to see if you even want to continue with this hobby rather than blow money on a set of $100 poles that will last you longer, but after a few hikes you just give up on them.

Currently trying out a pair of Wally World poles because I want to know if I even like using poles (I do!) and they served me really well on the AT over the weekend. Came across Thru Hiker- RockyMountainHigh- using the same poles all the way from Georgia! She had some repair work done but it was cool to see them carry a hiker all the way up to Pine Grove Furnace. Can't be all bad.
    If things go well, I'll pick up a pair of something nice after these fail.

Clueless Weekender
    Journal Entries

My brother uses Wally World poles. Durability hasn't been an issue for him.

I tried them for a little bit, and didn't like them. The wrist straps kept loosening on me so that my hands were below the grips, the grips themselves gave me a blister on my thumb, and they were heavy. I went back to my Komperdells with a sigh of relief. I daresay they'd work well enough - they'd be better than two saplings - but I'm glad I can afford better.
    I always know where I am. I'm right here.

Just another update. I have used to same wally world poles for 600+ miles. Absolutely no problems. Occasionally, the locking mechanism takes a little longer to "unlock", but they are going strong. I absolutely love my poles. Their $18 price tag and durability makes me like them even more. I would never spend an extra 82$ for a weight savings of a couple of ounces. I can't imagine Black Diamond and Leki poles lasting any longer or bring "more reliable" then the pair I have. From members on here and at other places, it looks like these poles fail just about as often as any other.

Maybe I got lucky and got a really, really great pair of poles from wally world, but it seems like to me all you are really buying is a brand name. I refuse to do that.

Just for comparison, I have a set of Black Diamond flick locks ($90 on sale) with just over 2,000 logged miles.

I've also used one walmart pole with a gossamer gear grip for many hundred miles. It still works great. Normally, I don't give walmart business, but bought two of these when I read that the flick lock was essentially the same as the BD poles. Anyways I love the pole! It's lasted three hiking seasons and gone all over the world.
    IMGP0760.jpg (from cat mountain on a the High Falls Loop in the Adirondacks, en route to the Five Ponds!

Journal Entries
    Images

I have both the orange and the blue with suspension poles that I bought on clearance at wal mary for almost nothing and they seems fine.
    I do like the blue ones with the cork grip and suspension in my opinion,but they both seems to work fine for me on my trips,

This is an old thread, but for what it's worth... I too bought some WallyWorld poles at 20 bucks a pair. Last year I started my thru attempt unsure of how I would like use of any pole, no matter what brand. Never used them before but thought for the price, why not give it shot. I could always hiker box them if anything. Turns out, I don't know how I ever got along without poles in the past. As for the Walmart ones, I never hesitated on putting my full weight on them. I abused these things and they lasted all 750 miles in my 43 days. Tips were getting worn down but I used them EVERYWHERE and ALL the time I was hiking (and a few angry throwing javelin style events (more @#!!% uphill today?!?! Haha)). They probably would have lasted a good 1000 miles the way I was going. Wouldn't hesitate to buy them again, and I actually did for my upcoming section hike to prepare for my 2nd thru attempt.
    - Trail name: Thumper

Yeah, old thread, but my two cents.

Compared the wallyworld poles to some leki's, and they were only an ounce heavier. What the heck, I'll give them a try (even though I really try to avoid shopping at wallyworld).
    My first time using them, on a 12 mile out, 12 mile back overnighter - I lost a basket. Found it on the way home - now I make sure they are tight and haven't lost another one since.
    The steel or carbide tip fell out of one of them in the first year I had them. Bought single replacement.
    Have bent both of them (from slipping and falling on ice) but was able to straighten them out. Also bent one of them on the steel stairs at Amicalola falls... again, it was able to be straightened out.
    One of them did unscrew/ loosen on one section with a lot of climbing. I noticed I was twisting my wrist as I put a lot of weight on the poles. Now I make sure they are twisted / locked tightly each morning before setting out.

I will probably buy a better set of poles when time to replace these, switching to flick locks. Wallyworld doesn't now carry the flick lock, only the twist lock, so I'll probably go to a local outfitter and get some leki's like my hiking partner has for about $80. I will continue to own only adjustable poles, as I use them for my tent as well as hiking.

After using them now for over 350 miles, I can't imagine hiking without them - even if I didn't need them for my tent.

I was looking at getting these as an after Walmart pole. Mid range price with high end specs.
    Hiker Hunger 100% Carbon Fiber Trekking Poles - Ultralight & Collapsible with Quick Flip-Lock, Cork Grips, & Tungsten Tips https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01C60REBO..._NqDnxbHM1D7C3

Quote Originally Posted by canoehead View Post
    you get what you pay for..
    not always. or at least sometimes you can get a lot more than you pay for. this might be one of those cases...

Quote Originally Posted by Huli View Post
    I was looking at getting these as an after Walmart pole. Mid range price with high end specs.
    Hiker Hunger 100% Carbon Fiber Trekking Poles - Ultralight & Collapsible with Quick Flip-Lock, Cork Grips, & Tungsten Tips https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01C60REBO..._NqDnxbHM1D7C3
    Those look like a great deal - but I've heard that the mice like to eat the cork... so I would prefer rubber of some kind. I rarely grip the "grips" so comfortable and form fitting doesn't much matter to me. I use the straps (reaching through from under) and let the straps rest at the heel of my hands, only loosely pinching the grips between thumb and finger. I imagine if a critter ate part of the cork that it would become uncomfortable, even in a loose grip.

People who say "you get what you pay for" are either very naive, in denial of how manufacturing/marketing works or both. There are MANY products, including hiking poles, that are made by the same generic manufacturing facility, on the same manufacturing lines, by the same people, with the same materials but only the branding and price are different. If you think that purchasing a name is a good value then by all means, spend your money. Me, I look at the product and then buy accordingly, regardless of the name that is printed on the product and/or it's packaging. Cascade Mountain Tech lightweight, composite, quick lock, cork handled poles with a lifetime warranty @ less than $50 per pair at amazon can't be beat IMHO.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
++ New Posts ++